• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

RichT54

According to Racing Point, Stroll's drop-off in performance in the Turkish GP was due to front wing damage that could not be seen in his pitstop.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/damaged-front-wing-caused-strolls-loss-of-pace-in-turkey/4911516/
After a stop for a fresh set of inters Stroll's pace dropped off badly and he fell back to an eventual ninth place at the flag.

It was only when the car returned from parc ferme to the garage after the race that previously unseen damage to the underside of the front wing was discovered.

It backed up the team's live data that had indicated a loss of downforce that could not be accounted for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gswindale

I seem to recall a situation where one driver who was in contention with another driver but was ahead of him, decided to deliberately take the other out so neither scored and the first driver won. Or have I misremembered?
You have indeed remembered correctly. Sounds a lot like a certain Ayrton Senna at Suzuka in 1990.

Whilst Senna and Schumacher were both extremely talented drivers, they both had an ugly side which is not something we've seen from Hamilton

JohnMcL7

In all the articles there's been comparing Hamilton and Schumacher's world championships there's been almost no mention of Schumacher's dirty side and it seems completely forgotten, I've seen some claims the media don't like to bring it up after his accident. I always remember Brundle's immediate comment when Schumacher swerved into Villeneuve "That didn't work Michael. You hit the wrong part of him, my friend"

In terms of who is the greatest driver of all time I thought Vettel's comments were spot on:

“Well, I told him it’s very special for us because we can witness history being made today,” he said.

“I think he is greatest of our era for sure.

“I think it’s always difficult to compare… how can you possibly compare Fangio, Stirling Moss to our generation? You can’t.

“Maybe we would be useless because we would all be ****ting ourselves in those cars. Maybe they would be useless in our cars because they’re way too fast. Who know.

“But it doesn’t matter, I think every era has its driver or its drivers and Lewis is certainly the greatest of our era.

It was great to see Hamilton take the championship with one of the best wins of his career mastering the conditions after a pretty shaky start with Bottas ending up a lap down and nowhere.

Geezertronic

Established Member
You have indeed remembered correctly. Sounds a lot like a certain Ayrton Senna at Suzuka in 1990.

And it could be argued that Senna repaid the favour in 1990 for Prost knocking him off the track at Japan in 1989. Both knew what they were doing, as did Schumacher when he knocked Hill off.

And don't forget Hamilton trying to back Rosberg into Vettel & Verstappen in the 2016 season ender at Abu Dhabi during Rosberg's title-winning season - that would have been considered payback for some of the dirty tricks that Rosberg pulled on Hamilton as well (Monaco 2014 Qualifying for one...)

najaB

Veteran Member
And don't forget Hamilton trying to back Rosberg into Vettel & Verstappen in the 2016 season ender at Abu Dhabi during Rosberg's title-winning season - that would have been considered payback for some of the dirty tricks that Rosberg pulled on Hamilton as well (Monaco 2014 Qualifying for one...)
True. But making your car as wide as the track is in a different league to deliberately causing a collision though.

Butts

Veteran Member
No doubt in my mind that he is the greatest F1 driver of all time, and arguably the greatest sportsman of all time.

Of his time he is probably the greatest driver, if only Jim Clark had survived Hockenheim in 68 things could have been so different.

F1TV’s Alex Jacques, has been named as Channel 4’s new Lead Commentator for the 2021 Highlights shows and British GP, after Ben Edwards announced his departure last week.

A very, very good choice, of a chap whose passion of the sport comes across incredibly in F2 & F3.

Domh245

Established Member
I'm curious to see if this means Alex joining C4 properly, or if this means that C4 will just be buying in the pitlane channel that he currently commentates for (alongside Alex Brundle amongst other co-commentators). A DC/Jacques commentary is pretty tasty nonetheless

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

gswindale

I'm curious to see if this means Alex joining C4 properly, or if this means that C4 will just be buying in the pitlane channel that he currently commentates for (alongside Alex Brundle amongst other co-commentators). A DC/Jacques commentary is pretty tasty nonetheless
From https://www.whisper.tv/news/channel-4-announces-new-lead-commentator-for-c4f1

Following Ben Edwards’ decision to step down from the coveted role, Alex will be the new voice of C4F1, expertly guiding viewers through the 2021 season and beyond, alongside 13 times GP winner David Coulthard.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I’m looking forward to it, but to replace Ben Edwards will be a big ask, he has such a recognisable voice.

D365

Veteran Member
I’m looking forward to it, but to replace Ben Edwards will be a big ask, he has such a recognisable voice.
Having listened to some of his F2/F3/VF1 commentary, it was only a matter of time before Alex Jacques would be "signed" to F1. He's the commentary equivalent of a George Russell - seeing as Channel 4 is always four hours behind Sky :oops:

Darandio

Established Member
Plenty of excitement on social media about Albon getting 4th as well. I'm really not sure why, he was still 6 tenths off Verstappen. It's light years.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Deadman walking. Albon is finished with Red Bull. Question is who replaces him
The only two real contenders for the RB seat are Perez and Hulkenberg, with the former being the most likely due to his proven track record in consistently winning points/podiums, and the money he brings from sponsors.

I wouldn’t write off Albon just yet. Red Bull appear to have given him to the end of the season to earn his keep, which they wouldn’t do if they didn’t want him to do well. There’s also the matter that the majority shareholder Red Bull is Thai, the flag under which Albon races.

Personally I would like to see Perez have the seat; it would be a real shame to lose such a proven driver from the sport.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wouldn’t write off Albon just yet. Red Bull appear to have given him to the end of the season to earn his keep, which they wouldn’t do if they didn’t want him to do well. There’s also the matter that the majority shareholder Red Bull is Thai, the flag under which Albon races

He is is liked by the team, is quick and clearly has talent/potential but he seems to be being crushed by the expectations and pressure in a "big" team. He isn't close enough to his team mate in qualifying or race terms. Red Bull need a 2nd car to challenge more often to support Verstappen and put more pressure on Bottas.

You are right the only real option is Perez as Hulkenburg seems to have missed the boat. Perez also comes with connections with Carlos Slim who has a decent bit of cash behind him!

GB

Established Member
I think one needs to question the Red Bull driver program...or maybe even Red Bull in general. Max is obviously a great driver but he isn't some kind of God or mythical being. The fact that 3 very good drivers have really struggled in the second seat along with all their musical chairs going back and forth between Red Bull and Torro Rosso suggests (to me at least) the problem (or a part of it) lies elsewhere.

As for this weekend...its all set to be another zzzzzz

Dont forget Albon is half Thai and Red Bull have very close links to Thailand, F1 one has never been entirely a meritocricy in terms of some of the drivers or some of the teams.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Dont forget Albon is half Thai and Red Bull have very close links to Thailand, F1 one has never been entirely a meritocricy in terms of some of the drivers or some of the teams.
It’s a shame it has to be like that in many ways.
He is only just behind Verstappen in terms of position because the cars behind aren't on the same level. Six tenths in the same machinery is absolutely massive.
Perfectly valid point, it probably is too late to save his Red Bull seat on merit, but despite the gap, it at least doesn’t look as humiliating as it possibly could be for him at a quick glance.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I think one needs to question the Red Bull driver program...or maybe even Red Bull in general.
There have been 75 (excluding the current 10) drivers in the rb driver program. 3 (Vettel, Ricciardo & verstappen) have found it into the senior team and not been dropped. 2 of those 3 have left of their own accord, with max being the only one remaining. red bull may have pioneered the driver program but they are pretty crap at it. I think part of the blame has to lie at max & jos's feet for thinking they run the show at red bull (with max rumored to want a submissive teammate). They are 100% the reasoning behind Kvyat getting dropped for doing literally nothing and the driving force behind Ricciardo leaving (he knew the 2019 car was going to be built around max and noped the f out of there). red bull needs a marko sized hole making in the wall at Milton Keynes and him thrown out of it along with jos.
The fact that 3 very good drivers have really struggled in the second seat along with all their musical chairs going back and forth between Red Bull and Torro Rosso suggests (to me at least) the problem (or a part of it) lies elsewhere.
Yes, the same reason Ricciardo left.

Here's what needs to happen at rb:
-helmut needs to go
-jos needs to go
-max needs putting in his place
-Christian needs to grow a spine (which he's rumored to be doing as he wants Checo)
Dont forget Albon is half Thai and Red Bull have very close links to Thailand
That's probably going to be the only thing that saves him if it comes down to that.

Darandio

Established Member
How Grosjean has managed to walk away from that is nothing short of a miracle.

Darandio

Established Member
Halo completely vindicated, I think.

Indeed. The car splits completely in two and he is in the front half that is embedded in the barrier engulfed in an inferno. Unlike many accidents it was a complete stop from 130mph+ to zero as well, that was potentially fatal in itself.

Reports are minor burns to the wrists and ankles along with suspected broken ribs. Lucky boy.

GB

Established Member
I honestly thought I’d just watched a fatal accident. Very glad it wasn’t !