• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Established Member
I have to say my view of Red Bull has declined due to the behaviour shown over the cost cap situation. They broke the rules and then moaned like hell that they were caught even though thier punishment was, imo, light.

Horner comes over like a spoiled child in the recent drive to survive documentary.
I agree regarding breaking the rules, however at the time I think the behavior of the other teams wasn't exactly the best. Instead of waiting until the results were finalized there were public statements and open letters that were premature to say the least.

I think the punishment fitted what they had overspent on - catering and sickness expenses. The percentage overspend was very small, and the FIA admitted there was no performance improvement from the overspend.

Other teams will always push for the maximum punishment because it will give them the best advantage, and for the people pushing - that's their job. It's the job of Christian Horner to try and minimize that punishment.

Drive to Survive always adds more drama than there actually was, it's what Netflix do. I must disagree with you use of the word "documentary", as the inaccuracies are well documented. They have invented drama between drivers that simply doesn't exist in many episodes, and are known for using radio from other incidents and races to tell their "story" for example.

However, Christian Horner's job is to defend and fight for Red Bull to the maximum extent possible in the media, with the FIA and with F1, and IMO he does this very well. He shouldn't tone down to benefit other teams because it's not his job to. This is exactly the same as Toto trying to introduce rule changes to benefit Mercedes last year because they had built a terrible car.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member

D365

Veteran Member
Don't forget how the Strolls' last 'missed race' [Covid positive at Nürburgring 2020] turned out to be 11th-hour chaos.

PG

Established Member
BBC report Stroll WILL race this weekend:

( I ma surprised as all the word was that he wasn't going to be fit for this one.)
I guess we'll have to see if he makes it through Practice and Qualifying, and if he does race this weekend hopefully he hasn't jumped back in too soon.

kristiang85

Established Member
It does say he will "participate" rather than "race", so I guess they will wait until after Friday practice to make a final decision.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
However, Christian Horner's job is to defend and fight for Red Bull to the maximum extent possible in the media, with the FIA and with F1, and IMO he does this very well. He shouldn't tone down to benefit other teams because it's not his job to. This is exactly the same as Toto trying to introduce rule changes to benefit Mercedes last year because they had built a terrible car.

Indeed, Horner's value isn't in his management skills (although he's widely considered to be an excellent boss), but in his ability to draw eyeballs to the Red Bull brand. He'll quite happily get involved in mud slinging and whining for publicity, and it's why he's worth every penny to Red Bull.

Toto plays the game just as much as he does.

JD2168

Max Verstappen has qualified on pole position for the Bahrain Grand Prix with Sergio Perez alongside making a Red Bull front row. Charles Leclerc was third with Carlos Sainz fourth, Fernando Alonso qualified Fifth during a really strong performance for Aston Martin.

D365

Veteran Member
Indeed, Horner's value isn't in his management skills (although he's widely considered to be an excellent boss), but in his ability to draw eyeballs to the Red Bull brand. He'll quite happily get involved in mud slinging and whining for publicity, and it's why he's worth every penny to Red Bull.

Toto plays the game just as much as he does.
However it does seem that I (and others) are getting bored of Horner’s incessant penalty-related whinging. They took a risk, they got caught. By comparison, at least Newey keeps his head down.

Established Member
However it does seem that I (and others) are getting bored of Horner’s incessant penalty-related whinging. They took a risk, they got caught. By comparison, at least Newey keeps his head down.
I think the cost cap issue was a genuine error and nothing that was said by any reasonable source including the FIA has even hinted otherwise.

F1 is a media circus more now than it has ever been. Horner does complain, but so does Toto, and Zach is getting almost as bad.

We still can't go more than a day without someone complaining about Abu Dhabi 2021.

D365

Veteran Member
I think the cost cap issue was a genuine error and nothing that was said by any reasonable source including the FIA has even hinted otherwise.
Why would the FIA want to admit to a team gaming the system? ;)

But it’s all passed now; whether the spend has contributed to their ongoing advantage, we won’t easily be able to know.

Back to today, I’m really hoping Ferrari make proper use of Leclerc’s starting position and the additional soft tyres.

Established Member
Back to today, I’m really hoping Ferrari make proper use of Leclerc’s starting position and the additional soft tyres.
Secretly hoping Fernando can do something magical personally ! :)

JD2168

Max Verstappen has won the Bahrain Grand Prix comfortably from Sergio Perez in a Red Bull 1-2, Fernando Alonso finished third in the Aston Martin from Carlos Sainz & Lewis Hamilton. Charles Leclerc retired from the race whilst in third place with an engine problem.

Established Member
Lots of great content in that race. Enjoyed watching it

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It seems the answer to my question: by how much will Red Bull win the championship has been answered.

Fernando Alonso in third was the best part of 40 seconds behind the winner!

Established Member
It seems the answer to my question: by how much will Red Bull win the championship has been answered.

Fernando Alonso in third was the best part of 40 seconds behind the winner!
I honestly hope it is more interesting than that. Remember last year how Ferrari looked so good and then everything changed

Efini92

Established Member
I honestly hope it is more interesting than that. Remember last year how Ferrari looked so good and then everything changed
I doubt it. Newey is an expert on ground effects.
It’s worrying that Ferrari swapped out the battery and control electronics and leclerc still retired.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It wont be. While Red Bull have less development time ( and a smidge less than that after their cheating) the gap to the field is massive. I am sure that gap will close but nowhere near enough quickly enough.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I note it was not a wholly successful day for McLaren!!!
According to the BBC F1 Podcast McLaren have "missed their developmental milestones" during the off season - they seem to have had to change design mid point in the process and start again. They are taking about upgrades but not till Baku!

People I know at Red Bull are very happy about their chances this year in a manner I haven't seen since the Vettel glory days.

Efini92

Established Member
According to the BBC F1 Podcast McLaren have "missed their developmental milestones" during the off season - they seem to have had to change design mid point in the process and start again. They are taking about upgrades but not till Baku!

People I know at Red Bull are very happy about their chances this year in a manner I haven't seen since the Vettel glory days.
I think we’re going to see a repeat of the Vettel glory days. They were so comfortable out front today.

Domh245

Established Member
I was clinging to the stat of "the winner of the inaugral grand prix of the season hasn't gone on to win the championship"

Right up until they added the second half - "since 2011 when Red Bull & Vettel took a 1/2 in the first race and won the championship at a canter"

:/

eoff

I stopped following F1 after the 2021 season, making up the rules and so deciding the championship was the final straw for me.

Established Member
Time zones are amazing.

In the UK, we have one time, as you head east you go +1 hour, upon reaching Ukraine you are +2 hours, and in some fan's homes, it is still December 2021.

Efini92

Established Member
Time zones are amazing.

In the UK, we have one time, as you head east you go +1 hour, upon reaching Ukraine you are +2 hours, and in some fan's homes, it is still December 2021.
Brilliant :D

Established Member
It’s worrying that Ferrari swapped out the battery and control electronics and leclerc still retired.
Agreed and agreed...

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I stopped following F1 after the 2021 season, making up the rules and so deciding the championship was the final straw for me.

I'm still angry about that. It's probably not the place to discuss it anymore, but I still don't understand why Masi made that call. It would have been just as exciting to watch Max have to fight his way through traffic, or at the very least, it could have been agreed with Mercedes and Red Bull that both drivers would get the chance to put on a fresh pair of soft tyres. Let them put on softs, let them warm the tyres up for a couple of laps, then let them go at it in a one lap shootout.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm still angry about that. It's probably not the place to discuss it anymore, but I still don't understand why Masi made that call. It would have been just as exciting to watch Max have to fight his way through traffic, or at the very least, it could have been agreed with Mercedes and Red Bull that both drivers would get the chance to put on a fresh pair of soft tyres. Let them put on softs, let them warm the tyres up for a couple of laps, then let them go at it in a one lap shootout.
Absolutely - Red Bull stole that championship or at the very least laundered stolen goods after the FIA stole it! Hamilton had won that title and in doing so driven half a season brilliantly and wrenched it away from Red Bull. He fended off every obvious Verstappen ramming attempt and stayed out of trouble to lead going into the last few laps of the season with the race in the bag baring a technical failure or a miracle. The FIA gave Red Bull their miracle by making up the rules on the spot. Take nothing away from Red Bull last season, they were imperious but the season before they lucked out massively! We know that and they know that.

Hamilton should have 8 titles and Verstappen one. Verstappen should have one wonderful title and no doubt a second this year but only one title.

Also they cheated last season and got a way with a slap on the wrist!

EDIT - nothing will or should change but we all know how lucky Red Bull were to win that title. I am no fan of Hamilton but he was robbed and that just isn't on

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
How have Aston taken such a gigantic step forward - i sincerely hope they can keep it up all season as it will make it very interesting and shake things up.

Efini92

Established Member
Absolutely - Red Bull stole that championship or at the very least laundered stolen goods after the FIA stole it! Hamilton had won that title and in doing so driven half a season brilliantly and wrenched it away from Red Bull. He fended off every obvious Verstappen ramming attempt and stayed out of trouble to lead going into the last few laps of the season with the race in the bag baring a technical failure or a miracle. The FIA gave Red Bull their miracle by making up the rules on the spot. Take nothing away from Red Bull last season, they were imperious but the season before they lucked out massively! We know that and they know that.

Hamilton should have 8 titles and Verstappen one. Verstappen should have one wonderful title and no doubt a second this year but only one title.
You could argue that had Piquet jr not deliberately crashed his car, Massa would have won that race and the 2008 title.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
How have Aston taken such a gigantic step forward - i sincerely hope they can keep it up all season as it will make it very interesting and shake things up.
I believe they acquired some engineers who were formerly at Red Bull, and clearly haven’t forgotten how their old car worked.