• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jb108822

There were at least a couple of London buses running along from what I saw. I was sat there wondering what they were for.
I'm pretty sure they were used to transport relevant people down from the Copse tunnel to the paddock area and vice versa. A friend of mine was on accredited press this year, and he pretty much confirmed it with regard to how he was getting back from the media centre to his car.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm pretty sure they were used to transport relevant people down from the Copse tunnel to the paddock area and vice versa. A friend of mine was on accredited press this year, and he pretty much confirmed it with regard to how he was getting back from the media centre to his car.
I thought it might be something like that.

Broucek

Silly number of track limits penalties today. Where it’s happening this much, it implies something is wrong with the rule

GB

Established Member
Silly number of track limits penalties today. Where it’s happening this much, it implies something is wrong with the rule

No, it implies the stewards are finally clamping down on it. For too long the rules were implied inconsistently from track to track and corner to corner. Now its clear the white line defines the edge of the track and even then there is still a generous leeway of 99% car width.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
or that the drivers are taking the pi$$!

Personally i would make all of the area inside the fence the track. If you have the balls to pass on the grass go for it ;)

Bungle73

On Moderation
No, it implies the stewards are finally clamping down on it. For too long the rules were implied inconsistently from track to track and corner to corner. Now its clear the white line defines the edge of the track and even then there is still a generous leeway of 99% car width.
Not much use if drivers can’t see the lines.

JamesRowden

Established Member
They need an area of grass/gravel (or barrier/wall) on the boundaries of the track so that going off the track is a natural time penalty like in the old days. Corner cutting of tight corners in chicanes will always require there to be track limits penalties (since we have seen in the F2 race at Silverstone how sausage curbs produce a safety hazard, and we saw how tyre stacks don't work well in the 1996 Italian Grand Prix).

Then again, maybe spike strips might provide for an entertaining Grand Prix. :lol:

A penalty loop like in motorcycle racing might be a good idea so that cars can serve their small penalties within 3 laps of the penalties being given.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
They need an area of grass/gravel (or barrier/wall) on the boundaries of the track so that going off the track is a natural time penalty like in the old days. Corner cutting of tight corners in chicanes will always require there to be track limits penalties (since we have seen in the F2 race at Silverstone how sausage curbs produce a safety hazard, and we saw how tyre stacks don't work well in the 1996 Italian Grand Prix).

Then again, maybe spike strips might provide for an entertaining Grand Prix. :lol:

A penalty loop like in motorcycle racing might be a good idea so that cars can serve their small penalties within 3 laps of the penalties being given.
Given that the temptation to cheat in the last three laps might be greater then a suitable end of race time penalty would be needed to be applied even if it adjusted the final positions.

JamesRowden

Established Member
Given that the temptation to cheat in the last three laps might be greater then a suitable end of race time penalty would be needed to be applied even if it adjusted the final positions.
Just like is presently implemented in motorcycle racing.

davehsug

Don't those coloured strips at Paul Ricard in France, do varying levels of damage to the tyre, depending on how far you go off track?

Bungle73

On Moderation
Another huge crash, this time in the World Endurance Championship, caused by a sausage kerb. When is the FIA going to get rid of these things? Does someone have to die before they do something?

kristiang85

Established Member
Another huge crash, this time in the World Endurance Championship, caused by a sausage kerb. When is the FIA going to get rid of these things? Does someone have to die before they do something?

As with the track penalties yesterday in F1, going back to grass/gravel in corners would solve all this problem immediately of stopping drivers taking advantage of run offs.

davehsug

I believe you're correct. I detest those coloured strips as I get a headache watching and trying to figure out where the actual track is every lap!
Oh yes, I wasn't defending them, it makes the race almost unwatchabe.

Geezertronic

Established Member
On a lighter note, this made me smile :)

1657880821033.png

Image shows an F1 car around a track with multiple advertising banners on the side of the track for the company Zoom - the caption reads "I didn't know F1 had subtitles"

Cloud Strife

Established Member
As with the track penalties yesterday in F1, going back to grass/gravel in corners would solve all this problem immediately of stopping drivers taking advantage of run offs.

I've read that the reason why some tracks such as Austria have such runoffs is because they're used for other races other than F1. Gravel, for instance, is strongly disliked by MotoGP riders.

kristiang85

Established Member
I've read that the reason why some tracks such as Austria have such runoffs is because they're used for other races other than F1. Gravel, for instance, is strongly disliked by MotoGP riders.

I was under the impression they preferred gravel, hence spa getting more of it? Or maybe I was getting mixed up.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Yeah, MotoGP prefers gravel.

A Moto2 rider was killed when he fell off at a fast part of Barcelona and went across the asphalt run off into a air fence at speed. The bike following him in is what killed him.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They were used to move the marshals and staff about. Always got a big cheer as they crossed the line.
There was a big cheer for the tight formation of road sweepers when I was there, I thought that procedure could have been made a bit more competitive though… :D

jb108822

There was a big cheer for the tight formation of road sweepers when I was there, I thought that procedure could have been made a bit more competitive though… :D
Yep - every single time they went past, everyone cheered. What was also quite funny was Saturday. I was sat in Club for the majority of the day, and whenever the medical car went around Vale, it always clipped the kerb to the extent that the left rear wheel lifted from the ground. Got a great reaction every single time. :P

D365

Veteran Member
It's not F1, but fits the topic of unexpected vehicles getting a cheer...

D365

Veteran Member
I was never a Ferrari fan before 2022, and now I understand why I shouldn't have become one...

Bungle73

On Moderation
Yep - every single time they went past, everyone cheered. What was also quite funny was Saturday. I was sat in Club for the majority of the day, and whenever the medical car went around Vale, it always clipped the kerb to the extent that the left rear wheel lifted from the ground. Got a great reaction every single time. :P

I had a Club seat for race day. Now I understand why it's considered one of the best places to sit! 8-)

For Saturday I camped out at Becketts, because I'd heard it was a good place to watch the cars from, and because that grandstand has a roof!

There's a reason that both of these images exist, unfortunately!

View attachment 118157
View attachment 118158

LOL! As the oldest team in the Championship how the hell can Ferrari be so bad at race strategy?? :s

LOL! As the oldest team in the Championship how the hell can Ferrari be so bad at race strategy?? :s

I honestly believe that there is a roulette wheel in the Ferrari pits with letters taped over the numbers for what plan to use, a far cry from the Ross Brawn era of the late 1990's and early 2000's.

It seems like if they continue to have races like this they'll finish behind Mercedes in the constructors. Mad to think at after Australia it looked like Red Bull would have a difficult year with reliability concerns, and Max some 40 points down after 3 races and now 60 ahead.