• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JD2168

I was astonished that Ferrari:

a) Had a strategy
b) Executed said strategy with no mistakes
On a weekend where Ferrari for once did not have poor tire wear the mistakes came in qualifying where Charles Leclerc missed the soft tyre window & Carlos Sainz was demoted 3 places for impeding. There pace in Friday practice would have put them in the podium fight.

This weekend bears a lot of insignifance, as a result of the tragic death of 18 year old Dutchman and 2021 Spanish F4 Champion, Dinalo Van ‘T Hoff - in a Formula Regional European Championship race at Spa this morning.

Formula Regional European Championship by Alpine sadly announces the death of MP Motorsport driver Dilano Van 'T Hoff. The incident happened during Spa-Francorchamps race 2.

We want to express our sincere condolences to the family, team and friends.

Royal Automobile Club of Belgium, the Circuit of Spa-Francorchamps and SO Motorsports Group join Alpine and ACI in expressing their sincerest condolences to the driver's family, team and friends.

Established Member
Brilliant race, with due respects paid during the weekend for Dinalo Van ‘T Hoff.

Well worth watching the full replay instead of highlights for anyone who didn't see it live.

Although I'll wait for people to start saying the track limits penalties are some sort of conspiracy to give Max an advantage :lol:

baz962

Established Member
Brilliant race, with due respects paid during the weekend for Dinalo Van ‘T Hoff.

Well worth watching the full replay instead of highlights for anyone who didn't see it live.

Although I'll wait for people to start saying the track limits penalties are some sort of conspiracy to give Max an advantage :lol:
Absolute masterclass from Max. Leclerc didn't get a penalty either and Max could have had one and still won , as he wouldn't then pit at the end. But that overtake and lift off to avoid giving back drs and to pit at the end to get the fastest lap. Fastest car or not he is a class above, absolute supreme talent. And of course sad to hear of the young driver that lost his life.

Established Member
Absolute masterclass from Max. Leclerc didn't get a penalty either and Max could have had one and still won , as he wouldn't then pit at the end. But that overtake and lift off to avoid giving back drs and to pit at the end to get the fastest lap. Fastest car or not he is a class above, absolute supreme talent. And of course sad to hear of the young driver that lost his life.
Totally agree. Also needs to be mentioned that it was nice to have so much action throughout the race but nothing more than a few bumps between cars, no DNFs due to crashes or damage.

JD2168

Very good race today with plenty of overtaking and other action throughout the race. McLaren’s new upgrades to Lando Norris car look very promising with Lando up front all weekend but Mercedes having a downturn in pace this weekend. Oscar Piastri is due the upgrade at Silverstone next weekend for the British Grand Prix.

Max Verstappen’s run of consecutive laps led ended at 249 but it is now 5 wins in a row with a perfect weekend with the Sprint pole & victory as well on Saturday.

Established Member
Eight drivers receive post-race penalties for track limit infringements during the race

The top 10 results change, although the podium remains unaffected

Sainz - 10 seconds
Hamilton - 10 seconds
Gasly - 10 seconds
Albon - 10 seconds
Ocon - 30 seconds
Sargeant - 10 seconds
De Vries - 15 seconds
Tsunoda - 5 seconds

stuart81

Eight drivers receive post-race penalties for track limit infringements during the race

The top 10 results change, although the podium remains unaffected

Sainz - 10 seconds
Hamilton - 10 seconds
Gasly - 10 seconds
Albon - 10 seconds
Ocon - 30 seconds
Sargeant - 10 seconds
De Vries - 15 seconds
Tsunoda - 5 seconds
The FIA seem hell bent on making F1 look more amateurish each year!

SynthD

A few years ago they were solving this with chunkier kerbs. I think some crashes scared them off that solution.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I assume Verstappen won another zzzzzzzfest. Just give him the championship now and tell him to go on holiday for 6 months. We can then have a decent race with some interest about who might win.

I notice in the sprint race he got all uppity when Perez dared to try and overtake him. He doesn't like it up him.

I will fix the track limits problems easily: Build a wall.

Although I'll wait for people to start saying the track limits penalties are some sort of conspiracy to give Max an advantage
He seems to get a number of warnings about his infringements. Do the other drivers get the same? I am sure they do but we don't hear them which leads to suggestions he gets favourable treatment.

Established Member
I will fix the track limits problems easily: Build a wall.
Exactly. Notice how some drivers did not get any penalties whereas others got so many that they needed to change the way they calculate the penalty as a result!

66701GBRF

Not much point in watching anymore. Verstappen nearly always winning and rest of results changing after the race.

baz962

Established Member
Many drivers were uppity yesterday and pretty much no complaints from Max. He managed not to go over track limits despite going faster , sublime driving. Anyway you could of given him a penalty and he would still have won .

Not much point in watching anymore. Verstappen nearly always winning and rest of results changing after the race.
Why anymore. Mercedes dominated for years and suddenly people are bothered.

Established Member
Why anymore. Mercedes dominated for years and suddenly people are bothered
I agree.

However, when asking many people they say because Lewis is British. They have no idea that Red Bull is based in Milton Keynes!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Mercedes dominated for years and suddenly people are bothered.
I don't think Mercedes were light years ahead like Red Bull are now. They won, but with a bit of challenge. Red Bull win with room to spare. Canada was a case in point. Verstappen wasn't even trying! They are walking it.
They have no idea that Red Bull is based in Milton Keynes!
I do. They are round the corner form me and i know people working there ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
We all knew that before you'd even typed it.
the point is one that I support - people don't know RB are based in Milton Keynes so I tell them. We also have Red Bull power trains near the station in MK. Aston martin and Mercedes are not that far away

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Exactly. Notice how some drivers did not get any penalties whereas others got so many that they needed to change the way they calculate the penalty as a result!
Apparently some 1,200 track limits violations were recorded.

A volume like that should surely give the FIA a rather large clue that something is very wrong shouldn't it...?

SynthD

1200 events to look at, which is every driver, nearly every lap, at one corner. 61 warnings in the end. Everyone except Russell and Zhou went over.

If you haven’t seen the race do look up the Sky highlights on YouTube. You will barely see Verstappen, which proves yet again that the excitement is not always at the front. This isn’t the sport for people who need a fight for first place every time.

JD2168

The FIA wanted to have the track put Gravel on the outside of turns 9 & 10 last year but the track did not want to as the track is also used for MotoGP which does not like grave traps due to injuries caused.

PG

Established Member
A few years ago they were solving this with chunkier kerbs. I think some crashes scared them off that solution.
ISTR that Abbi Pulling sustained a back injury through the so-called sausage kerbs which was one of the reasons why the FIA had them removed.

1200 events to look at, which is every driver, nearly every lap, at one corner. 61 warnings in the end. Everyone except Russell and Zhou went over.
Unless I'm mistaken Alonso also kept within the white lines. If two of the top drivers can manage it maybe the rest need to learn how to drive properly!

We also have Red Bull power trains near the station in MK.
Which might cause some confusion if dropped into a casual conversation - 'are they running the express services now?'

JD2168

The new F1 2024 calendar has been released today. Changes include the return of China & Emilia-Romagna, the move of Japan to Round 4 essentially swapping with Azerbaijan which goes to a back-to-back with Singapore & the First 2 races of the season will be on a Saturday night due to Ramadan starting in Saudi Arabia the day after the race there.

Source: F1 website & App.

Established Member
Good quali.

Waiting for usual complaints about who's on pole and "zzzfest".

Brilliant to see people getting so close to Red Bull.

How long do people think Checo will last at RB?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I would love to comment on the qualifying - however the BBC website coverage was turned off with 3 minutes left and all parties about to make their final runs. FFS.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Good quali.

Waiting for usual complaints about who's on pole and "zzzfest".

Brilliant to see people getting so close to Red Bull.

How long do people think Checo will last at RB?
Perez now in the exit lane unfortunately timing dependant on RB coming up with an alternative maybe Ricardo as hes available but not sure that he will be any better and certainly neither of the AlphaTauri drivers up to it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
STOP PRESS: Verstappen wins another grand prix. Yawn.

"There as an exciting battle for 12th place" Yawn.

There was a moment of excitement in this race as Norris lead for a few seconds but Verstappen just powered past and into the distance. Verstappen even had DRS to make the pass even easier!

Max: Take a few moths off. Let someone else have go please!

( Yes F1 has had dominance before but not like Red Bull this season. There is no challenge to Verstappen of any kind. This championship is a gift. He isn't even trying)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
STOP PRESS: Verstappen wins another grand prix. Yawn.

"There as an exciting battle for 12th place" Yawn.

There was a moment of excitement in this race as Norris lead for a few seconds but Verstappen just powered past and into the distance. Verstappen even had DRS to make the pass even easier!

Max: Take a few moths off. Let someone else have go please!

( Yes F1 has had dominance before but not like Red Bull this season. There is no challenge to Verstappen of any kind. This championship is a gift. He isn't even trying)
I don't think we should discount however what an excellent result for McLaren the race was. The post-safety car restart also was a very interesting period, with Norris and Hamilton vying it out for 2nd place.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I don't think we should discount however what an excellent result for McLaren the race was. The post-safety car restart also was a very interesting period, with Norris and Hamilton vying it out for 2nd place.
I agree - they did really well and improved massively and there was a good fight late on although the Mercedes never had the straight line speed to beat the McLaren

However, neither they nor Hamilton ever looked like wining. That is a big problem in my book.