• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gswindale

Just make your mind up about the schedule and be done with it.

It's going to be harder to ignore now that the Sprint is (again?) spread across 2 days.

I thought that at one point, they were considering reducing the overall event time down to 2 days (Sat & Sun) to reduce the environmental impact?

Personally I'd bring back having qualifying on Friday and Saturday and make it the aggregate times that count rather than simply the fastest as it used to be (to counter the impact of any bad weather!) How many practice sessions did they have in those days?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Just make your mind up about the schedule and be done with it.

It's going to be harder to ignore now that the Sprint is (again?) spread across 2 days.

I thought that at one point, they were considering reducing the overall event time down to 2 days (Sat & Sun) to reduce the environmental impact?

Personally I'd bring back having qualifying on Friday and Saturday and make it the aggregate times that count rather than simply the fastest as it used to be (to counter the impact of any bad weather!) How many practice sessions did they have in those days?
Oh no bad weather shakes up the grid order leads to more exciting races

gswindale

Oh no bad weather shakes up the grid order leads to more exciting races
It does,but the old system of qualifying meant that if Friday was dry and Saturday a washout then you had no running on the Saturday as everyone knew they'd set their best time.

Using aggregate timings could still shake up the grid - suppose Max fastest in the dry, but then spins out in the wet without setting a time. Therefore anybody who sets a time in both sessions is automatically ahead.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
It does,but the old system of qualifying meant that if Friday was dry and Saturday a washout then you had no running on the Saturday as everyone knew they'd set their best time.

Using aggregate timings could still shake up the grid - suppose Max fastest in the dry, but then spins out in the wet without setting a time. Therefore anybody who sets a time in both sessions is automatically ahead.
rare to get a complete washout though but rain impacted qualy spices things up

Silverstone to remain host of the British Grand Prix until 2034.

Silverstone has announced that it is to remain home to the British Grand Prix until 2034 after reaching an agreement with Formula 1 to host the race for a further ten years. This new deal will see Silverstone race into its ninth decade having hosted the first ever Formula 1 Grand Prix in 1950.

The British Grand Prix has become one of the largest attended events on the F1 calendar. 2023 attracted some of the biggest names in sport, music and culture, as the race drew in a record crowd of 480,000 across the weekend with over 60,000 fans camping in the local area. This year, fans will enjoy a weekend filled with great racing as well as off-track entertainment including concerts every evening on Silverstone’s main stage headlined by music’s biggest artists, including Stormzy and Kings of Leon.

TGV

Now that silly season is truly in full swing, here is my prediction for the 2025 F1 grid:

~snip~

I think this is a pretty solid guess. Albon would be my guess/choice too. He's recovered well from the Red Bull hazing that he had. I think there's also some talent across the pond that might invade too. Pato O'Ward and Colton Herta are very fast. O'Ward was within a tenth or two of Lando in the post season test at the end of last season on the same tyres - granted we don't know set ups and run plans but it raised a few eyebrows I know.

JD2168

Testing started today for 3 days until the end of Friday. The Red Bull wasn’t fastest in both morning & afternoon sessions but times are notoriously misleading in Testing. A fairly reliable day for all teams saw only stoppages for Williams.

The Mercedes front wing has caused some intrigue along with Red Bull’s change of side pod & cooling using very small radiator inlets.

The Visa Cash App RB team has been simply called RB in testing commentary & the Kick Sauber has been simply called Sauber.

JD2168

Don't you mean "was" fastest?
Yes I meant Max was fastest, it was the dreaded predictive text.

In a slight case of de ja vu a red flag happened in the morning session when Charles Leclerc went over a loose drain cover which required a floor change to the car. This caused the morning session to finish an hour early & the afternoon session extended to 5 hours. Carlos Sainz recorded the fastest time of the day on the softer C4 tyre. The Red Bull of Sergio Perez had a couple of issues with a brake problem in the morning & a glitch in the afternoon. Lando Norris in the McLaren spent a while in the pits in the afternoon with an issue.

David Croft has announced he will miss 3 races this season, these are Emilia-Romagna, Austria & Azerbaijan. He will be replaced by BBC 5 live commentator Harry Benjamin who worked with the Sky F1 Juniors last year. He has also missed this week’s testing at Bahrain.

Last edited:

75A

Established Member
David Croft has announced he will miss 3 races this season, these are Emilia-Romagna, Austria & Azerbaijan. He will be replaced by BBC 5 live commentator Harry Benjamin who worked with the Sky F1 Juniors last year. He has also missed this wee
k’s testing at Bahrain.

Pity it's not 23.
I thought the blonde lady (didn't catch her name) was good in the Commentary Box this afternoon.

Pity it's not 23.
I thought the blonde lady (didn't catch her name) was good in the Commentary Box this afternoon.
She is Laura Winter who is part of F1 TV’s team.

The same drain cover near Turn 11, which caused the lengthy stoppage yesterday has come up once again.

jfollows

Established Member

Pity it's not 23.
Agreed - he's the one that shouts all the time, isn't he?
He's one step better that Murray Walker, which isn't saying much in my opinion, because at least he doesn't tell us "Schumacher is cruising ahead in the lead" when we can see Schumacher spinning off the track into a wall.
Commentary should be about adding value to the pictures and sound, not about shouting at us and telling us what we can see and hear already. But I think I'm in the minority, or the people who run the TV channels think otherwise.

jfollows

Established Member
Is there a commentary free feed available?
That'd be good.
Unfortunately muting the sound and turning subtitles on doesn't work because the subtitles go "splat" over the top left of the timing information on the screen, so I'll look forward to a potentially improved commentary at three races this season.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
He will be replaced by BBC 5 live commentator Harry Benjamin
I wonder who we will get on Five Live then?

There has been a lot of talk on F1 podcasts/media about the demands of the extended season. Lots of media types complaining/commenting about the personal impact of so much travel and time away.

Established Member
Is there a commentary free feed available?
For races - yes. F1TV Pro.

However you'll need a VPN for it, as Sky have exclusive rights in the UK.

My subscription is about £60 a year and I got it whilst in Ukraine via Google Play.

It gives you the added advantage then of being able to open multiple streams on multiple screens via programs such as F1MV. Lots of data, all the onboards, and different commentary options too.

Personally I gave up on the International Stream (provided by Sky) last year as it was a Lewis Fan Club. F1TV generally are much more neutral and don't give any team such special treatment.

jfollows

Established Member
Personally I gave up on the International Stream (provided by Sky) last year as it was a Lewis Fan Club. F1TV generally are much more neutral and don't give any team such special treatment.
That's also a good point - I am always happy when he does badly, I don't like the man at all.

Established Member
That's also a good point - I am always happy when he does badly, I don't like the man at all.
I think the guy is an absolute clown but you can't debate he has achieved great things in Formula One.

I'm a Red Bull fan, but my favorite race last year was the only one where a Red Bull car didn't win.

Dominance to the level set by Merc and now Red Bull isn't good for the sport.

JD2168

Charles Leclerc recorded the fastest time on the final day of testing with George Russell in P2, both on the C5 Red marked soft tyre. Max Verstappen was fourth for Red Bull but did his fastest time on the C3 & finished 4 tenths behind Leclerc.

Another piece of drain cover came loose in the same place as Thursday. The drain was repaired after an hour & caused the session to run straight through to the end with the removal of the lunch break.

Alpine has added some additional blue colour on the nose of this year’s car.

Lewis Hamilton said in his press conference that Fred Vasseur being at Ferrari was a factor in moving for 2025.

JD2168

Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner has been cleared of all allegations into wrongdoing & will remain in his current role.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner has been cleared of all allegations into wrongdoing & will remain in his current role.
although there has been an anonymous leak of alleged evidence from the case to most of the F1 media circus this evening

Established Member
although there has been an anonymous leak of alleged evidence from the case to most of the F1 media circus this evening
I've got a copy. If it's real then it's the end for Horner and Red Bulls reputation will be in tatters.

However, there are massive chunks missing in the WhatsApp timeline where there aren't screenshots and various parts where the keyboard is been brought onto the screen to hide half of the page of messages.

The alleged messages date back to 2021 so predate the leadership changes.

I won't be sharing the screenshots here publicly for obvious reasons.

birchesgreen

Established Member
One theory i have heard that this is all a power play between the Austrians (led by Marko) who own 49% and the Thais (who support Horner) and have 51%.