• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am grateful, like everyone else I should think, and it won't stop me coming here, but I would like the rankings back!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't think anyone was threatening to leave the forum without getting the rankings back, or doesn't respect the people who run it... but I'd personally like to see something more than 'member'.

blackfive460

Since the number of posts is displayed anyway (which tells you more about the poster than ranking ever did) I'd say don't bother, just leave it blank.
Having a rank as 'Member' is pointless since you have to be a member to post.

Ivo

Established Member
The thing is that it isn't as though this is the world's only forum to have used ranks in its member profiles. Anyone with experience of others would probably notice their meaning; those who don't could have been given some other indication. I agree that they are not worth fighting over, and certainly not leaving over, but they did give us an indication of our experience here. I just don't see the point in having "Member" as the only ranking of any note; it's kinda obvious. If most of us end up with it (whether they have 5 or 5,000 posts), then what is the point in it? Either return to the old system, albeit with alternate names that won't through potential confusion around, or do away with it altogether.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The purpose of ''Member'' and ''New Member'' is to distinguish between the different rights and forum access levels granted to each category. Similarly if we removed ''Member'' and ''New Member'' then ''Administrator,'' ''Banned,'' etc. would also have to go for consistency, which would cause even more problems.

The situation is less than ideal but feedback will be taken on board.

Ivo

Established Member
So presumably that 5-post requirement for sending PMs still applies, and the differentiation is there to show the newer members when you can first send one...?

I think most (if not all) of us had forgotten about that. It seems such a long time ago...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I like the idea suggested earlier of progressing up through class numbers as a compromise, though it would have the slight inconsistency that units would come after locomotives, unless we all started off working through the DMU classes, then the EMU classes and finally the ultimate, the locomotives?

But then, that might not appeal to people who actually prefer units to locos?

Truth is, there is never going to be any one system of railway based rankings that would suit everyone.

Except...

Maybe....

:idea:

Name the rankings after the time honoured footplate crew link system?

blackfive460

The purpose of ''Member'' and ''New Member'' is to distinguish between the different rights and forum access levels granted to each category. Similarly if we removed ''Member'' and ''New Member'' then ''Administrator,'' ''Banned,'' etc. would also have to go for consistency, which would cause even more problems.

The situation is less than ideal but feedback will be taken on board.
I was only thinking that the 'Member' rank should be blanked as it's meaningless. Other more informative ranks are still useful.
If we have to have something, perhaps we could just have a progress bar type of thing based on number of posts up to say 2000. After that it could say 'Should get a life'...

trainfanatic

I also liked the original titles, but they probably bore no resemblance to forum members actual jobs. I think this would be useful and interesting, as for example I'm an old retired Signalman (not that horrible replacement 'signaller' Other members might also bw proud enough to display their current job titles. Add this idea to any potential poll!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I also liked the original titles, but they probably bore no resemblance to forum members actual jobs. I think this would be useful and interesting, as for example I'm an old retired Signalman (not that horrible replacement 'signaller' Other members might also bw proud enough to display their current job titles. Add this idea to any potential poll!

If you wanted to; you could possibly display this as your ''User title'' which you can set in the User CP. This appears in normal type directly below your username.

Mysterium

Well I'm a new member although have been a regular on another forum for quite a while, so perhaps I can give a different view to this discussion.
I did look at this forum a number of times before joining and noticed the job descriptions below each name. I just assumed that they were each persons job, so in that regard perhaps they were confusing to an "outsider".
However I do like the idea of some kind of ranking system other than the dreadfully boring member/new member titles.
If you're not going to bring back the job descriptions then I do like the engine class system, starting off as an 03 and perhaps working your way upto 89001 Avocet...!
I have another proposal though - how about getting together a list of stations from A-Y(Don't think there is a Z) and have members working their way through the alphabet.

Either way we're a railway forum so let's sort something out that's railway related and that adds a bit of interest to our postings.
Congratulations though on a great forum and I look forward to becoming a regular poster.

or another idea could be progressing through historical classes or notable Locos/units up until one of the new state of the art trains that run the network today, for example, a new member would be "catch me who can" or "locomotion" then "rocket" and so on up to something like "class 395 Javelin"

Established Member
or another idea could be progressing through historical classes or notable Locos/units up until one of the new state of the art trains that run the network today, for example, a new member would be "catch me who can" or "locomotion" then "rocket" and so on up to something like "class 395 Javelin"

It won't work because different people have different opinions about trains and will have their own heirarchy.
Cue arguments about why something they prefer is ranked lower than something they dislike.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The problem is that everyone has different opinions on traction, if you rank it based on modern stock, is a 390 better than a 395, and is a 142 better than a 220, is a HST the best overall? Then again, including myself personally, some people have interest in older engines, was Mallard better than Tornado, the Flying Scotsman better than the Earl of Mount Edgecumb?

Best way to do it: New Member, Poster, Posts on Occasion, Posts a Bit, Posts Quite a Lot, Frequent Poster and Posts Too Much, then Moderator, Administrator, Banned and my old friend On Moderation as applicable?

I think I worded the post wrong there, what I meant to say was that the new members would get one of the oldest locos e.g locomotion, and as the user gets more posts the name of the loco in their rank gets newer and newer, so the highest posters would have something brand new like the class 395 or the class 70.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Any chance you could add mouseovers for the common CRS codes, much like Airliners.net does for IATA codes :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could do, if I know how! If people use stn BB code tags in the mean time that would be a short term fix.

[STN]ZFD[/STN]

Crossover

Established Member
Best way to do it: New Member, Poster, Posts on Occasion, Posts a Bit, Posts Quite a Lot, Frequent Poster and Posts Too Much, then Moderator, Administrator, Banned and my old friend On Moderation as applicable?

What exactly does "On Moderation" mean?
*hopes this isn't a silly question...*

MCR247

Established Member
Posts have to be approved by a moderator before being published

Dai.

Established Member
Could do, if I know how! If people use stn BB code tags in the mean time that would be a short term fix.

[STN]ZFD[/STN]

I have an idea it might not work though. You can do a javascript/php hover over and load station information from a Sql database? (If stn code=BHM for example, a php code pulls info about database col BHM into the hover over?)

Aictos

Established Member
I like the idea suggested earlier of progressing up through class numbers as a compromise, though it would have the slight inconsistency that units would come after locomotives, unless we all started off working through the DMU classes, then the EMU classes and finally the ultimate, the locomotives?

But then, that might not appeal to people who actually prefer units to locos?

Truth is, there is never going to be any one system of railway based rankings that would suit everyone.

Except...

Maybe....

:idea:

Name the rankings after the time honoured footplate crew link system?

This I like very much, :)

wintonian

Established Member
I have an idea it might not work though. You can do a javascript/php hover over and load station information from a Sql database? (If stn code=BHM for example, a php code pulls info about database col BHM into the hover over?)

Could we use a sticky in the mean time?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

Interesting idea. JQuery and PHP would do it. You'd need a database with the code and the name in at the least.

Dai.

Established Member
Interesting idea. JQuery and PHP would do it. You'd need a database with the code and the name in at the least.

Just PHP should do it. Calling up a database and just display the results using HTML with $data marks.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You wouldn't need either of those, just replace the station name with the html abbreviation tag.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Just PHP should do it. Calling up a database and just display the results using HTML with $data marks.

You will need jQuery if you wish to display the information in the same page, without navigating to another page or use frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.