• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

al78

Established Member
A pensioner drove his brand new BMW to 100 mph, looking in his rear view mirror, he saw a police car behind him. He floored it to 140 , then 150, ... then 155, ... Suddenly he thought,

"I'm too old for this nonsense !"

So he pulled over to the side of the road and waited for the police car to catch up with him.

The officer walked up to him, looked at his watch and said,

"Sir, my shift ends in ten minutes. Today is Friday and I'm taking off for the weekend with my family. If you can give me a good reason that I've never heard before, why you were speeding... I'll let you go."

The Man looked very seriously at the police man, and replied :-

"Years ago, my wife ran off with a policeman, I thought you were bringing her back." !!!

The Cop left saying,

" Have a good day, Sir "...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just paid 60p to put air into my car's tyres. Ah well, that's the cost of inflation I suppose.

Weirdly enough I just paid 60p to do exactly that. I shall now relay your joke to Mrs C…

brad465

Established Member
Given all the stories regarding sewage dumping recently:

What does swimming the Thames have in common with becoming a politician?

A: You start at Oxford, and if you can swallow enough proverbial you end up Westminster.

gg1

Established Member
Why did the chicken cross the road?

Albert Einstein : Whether the chicken crossed the road or the road moved beneath the chicken depends upon your point of view.
Erwin Schrodinger: Since the wording of the question implies the absence of an observer, it is evident that the chicken simultaneously did and did not cross the road.
Werner Heisenberg: We are not sure which side of the road the chicken was on, but it was moving very fast.
Peter Higgs: We must first find the chicken.
Nikola Tesla: To get to the oth...
Thomas Edison: TOGETTOTHEOTHERSIDE!!!

zuriblue

I heard a rumour that Liverpool are looking for a new manager. Apparently Jürgen and his family moved back to Germany. I heard it from a scouser in a pub, he was saying that the Klopps went back last weekend.

Acey

Reading the " shrinkflation " forum just now made me think of this
Paddy gets caught shoplifting in Poundland ,officer says " don't know why you nick stuff here with all their security ,Waitrose down the road has almost no security ,Paddy replies " yessir but have you seen their prices? "

341o2

Established Member
Why did the dinosaur cross the road? The chicken hadn't evolved yet.
Why did the chicken cross the playground? To get to the other slide
Why did the turkey cross the road? To prove he wasn't chicken
Why did the pig cross the road? To annoy people by being a road hog
Why did the cow cross the road? 1 - To get to the udder side
2- To get to the mooovies

Calthrop

Established Member
And of course the "sick and sad" one -- Why did the hedgehog cross the road? To visit his flatmate / "flat mate".

[Damned auto-merging ! -- "the below", posted at 0430 Friday]

Not so much a joke, as a hopefully amusing anecdote -- found as an "aside", in a book about the author's travelling Land's End -- John O'Groats by scheduled bus services. Can be seen as a modern-day, road-transport counterpart / equivalent, of the tale about the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway; with the GWR employee getting into trouble for advising the prim lady: "The best thing you can do, madam, is to go to the W.C.& P."

Tale told by a bus driver in that stretch of the country; who picks up on the Weston-super-Mare seafront, a highly inebriated chap who wants to go to Clevedon. Approaching that town; driver notices that the drunk has fallen asleep. On reaching the main stop in Clevedon, driver tries to alert drunk; but the latter is dead to the world. The same happens at the very last potential stop in Clevedon. They carry on to Portishead, where the driver knows that they'll coincide with the next bus back to Clevedon. Driver goes to drunk once again, and tells him "if you look sharp you can jump off here, cross the road, and get the bus which is going back to Clevedon". The drunk struggles into a standing position, and -- cursing the driver out, and calling him all manner of names, for having taken him past his intended destination -- struggles off the bus.

The driver thinks, "Charming -- after all my attempts to help him". After taking his bus back to Weston and then back once more to Portishead; the driver observes the drunk at Portishead bus station, slumped and asleep -- clearly having missed the bus back, which the driver had tried to get him onto. The driver's return run now, to Clevedon and Weston, is the last one of the night. Driver opens the bus door and calls out to the drunk, waking him up: "You know all those things you called me earlier? They're all true." He closes the door and drives off, leaving "Mr. Charming" stranded.

Next day, driver feels a bit bad about the episode; goes to his boss and says, "I think you might be getting a letter of complaint here". The boss listens to his narrative of what had happened; and says, "Well done -- I'd have done exactly the same".

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
And in reverse..
Why are the houses of Parliament like IKEA furniture?
One dodgy screw and the cabinet falls apart

kermit

After leaving school I was an accountant from the age of 21 until I was sacked for no apparent reason at the age of 30.
Total waste of 14 years.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
After leaving school I was an accountant from the age of 21 until I was sacked for no apparent reason at the age of 30.
Total waste of 14 years.
That puts me in mind of this promoted advert that popped up on Twitter a few minutes ago. The bit I have highlighted at the bottom strikes me as being not the best tag line that could be used to advertise anything to do with accountancy...

For the benefit of those who can't do images, it's a screenshot of the said advert which is a partnership between the back office administrative subcontractor GenPact and the major accountancy firm Deloitte and the tag line on it is "How can your CFO make 1+1 = 11?"

Decoder: CFO = Chief Finance Officer

1636551728505.png

Caboose Class

A story about a bloke called Geordie

I never got to meet Geordie personally but anybody who has ever worked in Sales has heard about him. The man was a living legend – the greatest Salesman this fair country of ours has ever produced. As you might expect, with a name like Geordie, he was born on Tyneside – in North Shields, actually. He left school when he was just fourteen and got his first job as a barrow boy down at Grainger Market – that big indoor market in the centre of Newcastle. Two years later and he’s got his own stall there, selling crockery. You remember those market crockery sellers, don’t you – throwing a full set up in the air and catching every single piece. “I’m not asking ten nicker lady, I’m not asking even five - just two nicker to you love - unless I can get into yours first!” That was the start of Geordie’s amazing rise to fame.

Now you’ve got to remember that back in those days, Tyneside was an industrial powerhouse. Ship building, heavy engineering, coal mines, iron and steel, it had it all. Fed up with selling “china”, Geordie looked around and decided that the ship yards was where he wanted to be, so he applied for a job with a big yard called Swan Hunter as a Sales Executive. His task was to sell ships. And did he sell ships! He was a natural. Oil tankers to the Arabs, battleships to the Royal Navy, ocean liners to the likes of P&O and Cunard, Big ships, small ships – there wasn’t a ship built that Geordie couldn’t sell. The sky was the limit as far as Geordie was concerned.

And then on that fateful day, it happened. The coal mines closed, the ship yards closed, all the engineering went. It was called Recession. As a result, Geordie lost his job and was put on the scrap heap. In fact you could say that overnight he went from Swan Hunter to Job Hunter (groans from the audience). So he went knocking on doors looking for work but there were no jobs to be had on Tyneside – apart from a few seasonal vacancies like selling ice-cream down at Spanish City in Whitley Bay. Hardly becoming for a man with Geordie’s talents. Tyneside was now an industrial waste land. Undeterred, he bought himself a fish supper that night and went home to ponder his future. “I need to find an answer, I need to find an answer!” And after much thinking – he found the answer. (And the answer was, anybody?) The answer was LONDON!! He’d heard all the stories about the glitz and the glamour down there, the razzmatazz, the street’s being paved with gold. So the next day, he packed his suitcase, bought himself a one-way ticket and set off for the bright lights in the hope of finding a better future

Arriving in the Big Smoke, he managed to find some cheap accommodation down the Old Kent Road and the very next morning he’s down at the local Job Centre looking for work. Plenty of jobs for cleaners, bus drivers, bingo hall callers – but no jobs in Sales. On the way back to his gaff, he stops off to buy a copy of the Evening Standard. Pulling his last Stottie out of the bread-bin and filling it with some potted shrimp paste, he opens the newspaper and starts scanning the Jobs section. And then he saw it! Just a two-liner “Sales Assistant required – Harrod's Sports Department. Apply with covering letter” So he did and a few days later he received a reply. “You are kindly invited to attend for interview next Thursday. The interview will be conducted by the store proprietor – Mohamed Al-Fayed”.

So on the appointed day (remember it’s a Thursday) Geordie turns up and is ushered up to the 8th floor where Al-Fayed has his office. “Yes, I see that you have an excellent record in Sales – but you appear to have little knowledge of Sport. And the position on offer is in the Sports Department”. Geordie starts thinking fast. “Mr. Al-Fayed, sir, with all due respect. I hail from the North East. I am a Geordie, sir – and we have produced some of the finest sportsmen this country has ever known. Take footballers - there was the Shack (Len Shackleton), SuperMac (Malcolm Macdonald), Shearer and Beardsley. Rugby Union - Rob Andrew. Cricket – Steve Harmison. Athletics – Brendan Foster and Steve Cram. I knew ‘em all Mr. Al-Fayed – aye, I’ve supped many a pint of Newcastle Brown with those lads. I think my knowledge of sport is second to none!” OK then, I’ll give you a chance, Geordie. Can you start tomorrow? “No problem Mr. Al-Fayed – and I promise, I won’t let you down, Sir!

Bang on nine o’clock next day, Geordie turns up for work. Just before the store closes that evening, Al-Fayed pops down to the Sports Department and goes over to have a word with Geordie. “Had a good day? How many sales today?” Just the one Mr, Al-Fayed. “What? You mean to say that you’ve been here all day and only made one sale?” Well, yes Mr. Al-Fayed – but it was for a hundred and fifty three thousand pounds and ninety nine pence! “What? What on earth did you sell? There’s nothing in the Sports Department that costs that much” It was a fish hook, Mr. Al-Fayed. “A fish hook?” Well, I mean it started off with a fish hook. Let me explain.

So you see this gentleman comes into the Department and I sell him a fish hook for ninety nine pence. And I casually say to him “Be nice if you had a good rod to attach that hook to”. So, Mr Al-Fayed, you know those retractable fibreglass rods with the computer-controlled reel and the automatic fish finder on the end? I sold him one of those. Three grand! “But wait a minute”, I say to the gentleman “You can’t go fishing down your local park pond with a piece of kit like that. No way. Nor would it make any sense going off for a cheap day’s sea angling with a bunch of smelly OAPs. No, trust me, there’s nothing better than setting off in your own boat, go where you like when you like, well-stocked bar, being your own captain. We have a fine selection of boats right here, why not come and take a look”. So he did. “Now, Mr. Al-Fayed, you know those carbon-fibre hulled speedboats with 500 Johnsons at the back end, with the slide back roof and latest ship-to-shore navigational equipment?” I sold him one of them. Sixty grand!

Al-Fayed is gob-smacked. Go on, go on with your story! Right, so we’re coming out of the boat section and I turn round to the gentleman and I ask him “By the way, what sort of car do you drive?” He tells me it’s an Astra. “An Astra? No, no – that won’t do. Not big enough. Not powerful enough to tow that boat you’ve just bought. Now in the basement is our Car Department. Let me take you down there and show you what we have on offer.” I show him a top of the range Amazon Landcruiser with all the bits on which he falls in love with. He buys it there and then”. Ninety grand!

Al-Fayed can’t believe what he’s hearing. Ninety plus sixty plus three = £153.000 !! “Aye, and don’t forget the 99p fish hook, Mr, Al Fayed”. Al-Fayed is almost speechless. “You mean to say a gentleman comes in to my store, into Harrod’s to buy a fish hook for ninety nine pence and he ends up spending over a hundred and fifty grand here?” Well, actually, sir, he didn’t come in to the store to buy a fish hook. No. Let me tell you exactly what happened.

You see the gentleman in question only happened to be passing through the Sports Department, saw me, came over and asked me where he could buy a box of tampons for his girl-friend. I turned round and said to him “You what? You do know what day it is today don’t you? It’s Friday – which means that your weekend has gone right out with the tide down the Tyne! Have you thought about gannin’ fishing instead?”

Dedicated to all great Salesmen past & present

bussnapperwm

Established Member
I made a complaint to the council earlier. I told them "I have had the Clerk of the Works down on the floor six times, but still have no satisfaction."

75A

Established Member
A story about a bloke called Geordie

I never got to meet Geordie personally but anybody who has ever worked in Sales has heard about him. The man was a living legend – the greatest Salesman this fair country of ours has ever produced. As you might expect, with a name like Geordie, he was born on Tyneside – in North Shields, actually. He left school when he was just fourteen and got his first job as a barrow boy down at Grainger Market – that big indoor market in the centre of Newcastle. Two years later and he’s got his own stall there, selling crockery. You remember those market crockery sellers, don’t you – throwing a full set up in the air and catching every single piece. “I’m not asking ten nicker lady, I’m not asking even five - just two nicker to you love - unless I can get into yours first!” That was the start of Geordie’s amazing rise to fame.

Now you’ve got to remember that back in those days, Tyneside was an industrial powerhouse. Ship building, heavy engineering, coal mines, iron and steel, it had it all. Fed up with selling “china”, Geordie looked around and decided that the ship yards was where he wanted to be, so he applied for a job with a big yard called Swan Hunter as a Sales Executive. His task was to sell ships. And did he sell ships! He was a natural. Oil tankers to the Arabs, battleships to the Royal Navy, ocean liners to the likes of P&O and Cunard, Big ships, small ships – there wasn’t a ship built that Geordie couldn’t sell. The sky was the limit as far as Geordie was concerned.

And then on that fateful day, it happened. The coal mines closed, the ship yards closed, all the engineering went. It was called Recession. As a result, Geordie lost his job and was put on the scrap heap. In fact you could say that overnight he went from Swan Hunter to Job Hunter (groans from the audience). So he went knocking on doors looking for work but there were no jobs to be had on Tyneside – apart from a few seasonal vacancies like selling ice-cream down at Spanish City in Whitley Bay. Hardly becoming for a man with Geordie’s talents. Tyneside was now an industrial waste land. Undeterred, he bought himself a fish supper that night and went home to ponder his future. “I need to find an answer, I need to find an answer!” And after much thinking – he found the answer. (And the answer was, anybody?) The answer was LONDON!! He’d heard all the stories about the glitz and the glamour down there, the razzmatazz, the street’s being paved with gold. So the next day, he packed his suitcase, bought himself a one-way ticket and set off for the bright lights in the hope of finding a better future

Arriving in the Big Smoke, he managed to find some cheap accommodation down the Old Kent Road and the very next morning he’s down at the local Job Centre looking for work. Plenty of jobs for cleaners, bus drivers, bingo hall callers – but no jobs in Sales. On the way back to his gaff, he stops off to buy a copy of the Evening Standard. Pulling his last Stottie out of the bread-bin and filling it with some potted shrimp paste, he opens the newspaper and starts scanning the Jobs section. And then he saw it! Just a two-liner “Sales Assistant required – Harrod's Sports Department. Apply with covering letter” So he did and a few days later he received a reply. “You are kindly invited to attend for interview next Thursday. The interview will be conducted by the store proprietor – Mohamed Al-Fayed”.

So on the appointed day (remember it’s a Thursday) Geordie turns up and is ushered up to the 8th floor where Al-Fayed has his office. “Yes, I see that you have an excellent record in Sales – but you appear to have little knowledge of Sport. And the position on offer is in the Sports Department”. Geordie starts thinking fast. “Mr. Al-Fayed, sir, with all due respect. I hail from the North East. I am a Geordie, sir – and we have produced some of the finest sportsmen this country has ever known. Take footballers - there was the Shack (Len Shackleton), SuperMac (Malcolm Macdonald), Shearer and Beardsley. Rugby Union - Rob Andrew. Cricket – Steve Harmison. Athletics – Brendan Foster and Steve Cram. I knew ‘em all Mr. Al-Fayed – aye, I’ve supped many a pint of Newcastle Brown with those lads. I think my knowledge of sport is second to none!” OK then, I’ll give you a chance, Geordie. Can you start tomorrow? “No problem Mr. Al-Fayed – and I promise, I won’t let you down, Sir!

Bang on nine o’clock next day, Geordie turns up for work. Just before the store closes that evening, Al-Fayed pops down to the Sports Department and goes over to have a word with Geordie. “Had a good day? How many sales today?” Just the one Mr, Al-Fayed. “What? You mean to say that you’ve been here all day and only made one sale?” Well, yes Mr. Al-Fayed – but it was for a hundred and fifty three thousand pounds and ninety nine pence! “What? What on earth did you sell? There’s nothing in the Sports Department that costs that much” It was a fish hook, Mr. Al-Fayed. “A fish hook?” Well, I mean it started off with a fish hook. Let me explain.

So you see this gentleman comes into the Department and I sell him a fish hook for ninety nine pence. And I casually say to him “Be nice if you had a good rod to attach that hook to”. So, Mr Al-Fayed, you know those retractable fibreglass rods with the computer-controlled reel and the automatic fish finder on the end? I sold him one of those. Three grand! “But wait a minute”, I say to the gentleman “You can’t go fishing down your local park pond with a piece of kit like that. No way. Nor would it make any sense going off for a cheap day’s sea angling with a bunch of smelly OAPs. No, trust me, there’s nothing better than setting off in your own boat, go where you like when you like, well-stocked bar, being your own captain. We have a fine selection of boats right here, why not come and take a look”. So he did. “Now, Mr. Al-Fayed, you know those carbon-fibre hulled speedboats with 500 Johnsons at the back end, with the slide back roof and latest ship-to-shore navigational equipment?” I sold him one of them. Sixty grand!

Al-Fayed is gob-smacked. Go on, go on with your story! Right, so we’re coming out of the boat section and I turn round to the gentleman and I ask him “By the way, what sort of car do you drive?” He tells me it’s an Astra. “An Astra? No, no – that won’t do. Not big enough. Not powerful enough to tow that boat you’ve just bought. Now in the basement is our Car Department. Let me take you down there and show you what we have on offer.” I show him a top of the range Amazon Landcruiser with all the bits on which he falls in love with. He buys it there and then”. Ninety grand!

Al-Fayed can’t believe what he’s hearing. Ninety plus sixty plus three = £153.000 !! “Aye, and don’t forget the 99p fish hook, Mr, Al Fayed”. Al-Fayed is almost speechless. “You mean to say a gentleman comes in to my store, into Harrod’s to buy a fish hook for ninety nine pence and he ends up spending over a hundred and fifty grand here?” Well, actually, sir, he didn’t come in to the store to buy a fish hook. No. Let me tell you exactly what happened.

You see the gentleman in question only happened to be passing through the Sports Department, saw me, came over and asked me where he could buy a box of tampons for his girl-friend. I turned round and said to him “You what? You do know what day it is today don’t you? It’s Friday – which means that your weekend has gone right out with the tide down the Tyne! Have you thought about gannin’ fishing instead?”

Dedicated to all great Salesmen past & present
Quality!

Railcar

As I had a lot of rubbish to dispose of, I went to the council offices and asked the woman behind the desk, 'Can I have a skip in the road?' She said 'Who's stopping you?'

341o2

Established Member
Correspondence between a customer and the Irish Railway Company.

Gentlemen, I have been riding your trains daily for the last two years, and the service on your line seems to be getting worse every day. I am tired of standing in the aisle all the time on a 14-mile trip. I think the transportation system is worse than that enjoyed by people 2,000 years ago. Yours truly, Patrick Finnegan

Dear Mr. Finnegan, We received your letter with reference to the shortcomings of our service and believe you are somewhat confused in your history. The only mode of transportation 2,000 years ago was by foot. Sincerely, Irish Railway Company

Gentlemen, I am in receipt of your letter, and I think you are the ones who are confused in your history. If you will refer to the Bible and the Book of David, 9th Chapter, you will find that Balaam rode to town on his ass. That, Gentlemen, is something I have not been able to do on your train in the last two years! Yours truly, Patrick Finnegan.

REVUpminster

I am an 80 year old and was walking by the river when a voice said "give me a kiss and I am a princess and will be the girl of your dreams". I looked down and there was a frog. It repeated what is said adding we could make love day and night. I put the frog in my pocket.
"Why have you put me in your pocket?" she asked.
I replied "At my age I'd sooner have a talking frog".

ABB125

Established Member
I am an 80 year old and was walking by the river when a voice said "give me a kiss and I am a princess and will be the girl of your dreams". I looked down and there was a frog. It repeated what is said adding we could make love day and night. I put the frog in my pocket.
"Why have you put me in your pocket?" she asked.
I replied "At my age I'd sooner have a talking frog".
Ive heard a variation of that, but with an engineer instead of an older person: "I don't have time for a girlfriend" :D

Railcar

. . . and talking of engineers, what is the difference between a scientist and an engineer?

A scientist goes to the toilet, then washes his hands.
An engineer washes his hands, then goes to the toilet

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A man walks into a bar with a dog, and the barman says "sorry mate, no dogs in here". The bloke replies "oh, you'll want this dog in, he's pretty smart and he can talk"
The barman, intrigued by this, says "go on then, prove it".
So the man looks his dog in the eyes and says "Dog, what's the outside of a tree called?"
"Bark!" replies the dog.
"Oh come on, I'm going to need more than that" the barman says. So the man again looks his dog in the eyes and says "Dog, what's another way of saying fifty percent?"
"Arf!" replies the dog.
The barman rolls his eyes and says "Okay, one last chance. But I've just about had enough of this nonsense so it better be good"
So again the owner looks at his dog and says "Dog, who's the greatest baseball player that ever lived?" and the dog replies "Ruth!"
Furiously, the barman orders them out, where the man turns to his dog and angrily asks what the hell he was playing at. The dog looks up and says "Do you think I should have said DiMaggio?"

341o2

Established Member
A British war veteran flew to Paris, while he was searching for his passport, up came an impatient French customs official.
"Have you never been to France before?"
"Yes, " replied the veteran.
"Then you should know that you should have your passport ready for inspection."
"When I came last time, I didn't have to show it."
"IMPOSSIBLE! All foreigners have to show their passport to enter the country"
So the veteran lowered his voice and said " My last visit was in 1944. I landed at Gold beach as part of the Normandy landings, and noone could find a Frenchman to show their passport to"

On Moderation
Sports quiz: Who was the last Aussie cricket captain who didn't cry at a press conference?
:lol:

DunsBus

Established Member
What's the difference between the Rolling Stones and a Scottish sheep farmer?

The Rolling Stones say "hey you, get off my cloud." The Scottish sheep farmer says "hey McLeod, get off my ewe."

Status
Not open for further replies.