• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight train derailed at Lewisham 24/01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

There will be no service on the following routes:
- New Beckenham to London Charing Cross or Cannon Street
- Sidcup to London Charing Cross or Cannon Street
- Tunbridge Wells to London Charing Cross or Cannon Street
- Sevenoaks to Charing Cross or Cannon Street (stopping services)

A shuttle service is being arranged to run on the following routes:
- Hayes to New Beckenham
- Dartford to Sidcup

Trains on the following routes will also be diverted:
- Hastings to Charing Cross or Cannon Street will be diverted to London Bridge via Redhill.
- Ramsgate to Charing Cross services will be diverted to London Victoria.

Don't recall seeing that often, Hastings-Tonbridge-London services going via Redhill and East Croydon. It must be quite bad if they've decided to take this approach.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Any pictures of it. Couldn't be in a worse place.

My first trip is via Lewisham and a rounder <D Not sure if I want to go to work today. It's either going to be awesome and I can get some pool practice in or its going to be hell and I'm going to get sworn at multiple times.

Hopefully it will be cleared by lunch. I must admit NR are very good at dealing with derailments. The one at Charlton was sorted out incredibly fast and the line rebuilt and back in service pretty quick.

Any idea if the track has been damaged ? That junction took a couple of months (iirc) the last time it was damaged.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
My first trip is via Lewisham and a rounder <D Not sure if I want to go to work today. It's either going to be awesome and I can get some pool practice in or its going to be hell and I'm going to get sworn at multiple times.

Hopefully it will be cleared by lunch. I must admit NR are very good at dealing with derailments. The one at Charlton was sorted out incredibly fast and the line rebuilt and back in service pretty quick.

Any idea if the track has been damaged ? That junction took a couple of months (iirc) the last time it was damaged.

Has it actually derailed over the junction heading up to Nunhead?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Has it actually derailed over the junction heading up to Nunhead?

Not from the descriptions available. It sounds like it's between Lewisham and Hither Green with the train blocking the Hayes line as well. I'd guess that power has had to be turned off over a wider area hence no trains through either Hither Green or Ladywell.

CNash

Those of you attempting to get to Woolwich Arsenal for the DLR, beware: there's a broken down train stuck on the line between King George V and WWA, and they've closed the DLR station temporarily. DLR staff are advising passengers to head for North Greenwich by bus. Southeastern staff are (naturally) still advising passengers to change to the DLR at Woolwich...

What a morning! Double whammy for Southeastern commuters...

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...ajor-delays-after-freight-train-a3447946.html

A derailed freight train has caused major delays for commuters in south London.

Services were delayed, cancelled or diverted after the derailment at Lewisham at about 6am on Tuesday.

Passengers complained of a hellish journey to work while Southeastern Railway warned the disruption would last all day.

Southeastern commuters were left waiting on freezing platforms as the train operator warned services were unable to run from Dartford and Hayes to Lewisham.

Derailed: The train came off the tracks between Lewisham and Hither Green stations. (ChrisO, Twitter)

The derailment meant trains running to and from London's Charing Cross and Cannon Street were severely disrupted, Network Rail said.

All trains from New Beckenham, Sidcup, Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks to Charing Cross and Cannon Street were cancelled completely.

The route to and from Charing Cross from Hastings was diverted to London Bridge via Redhill while outbound Ramsgate trains were diverted to Victoria.

talltim

Established Member
6M90 (GBRf) 03:56 Grain - Neasden
3rd to last vehicle derailed and tipped, 2nd to last vehicle derailed.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
(https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/823803192907624448/photo/1)

I think Mike is right about the power being switched off as if its derailed over Courthill (on the down ?) It would prevent anything running down to Hayes and therefore affect the up direction. But, you could still run trains over parks bridge and up the fast or up the Hayes and via Ladywell Loop For it to block everything must be power off or a more serious derailment.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Power is off and signalling damaged over a wider area than the derailment site.

Saint66

BTP tweeting that they're still on site, derailing occurred at about 5:45am.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
What has it got to do with BTP? Is there a suggestion of criminality? No RAIB?

No doubt the usual requirement to undertake drug and alcohol testing of the driver, etc.

I have to say that there does seem to be a greater-than-average number of freight derailments in SE London of late. I may be wrong and am happy to be corrected with statistics, but I have an impression (and only that) of issues with wagons' fitness to run, acknowledging that I know nothing of the cause of this derailment - I'm thinking back to the derailment a few months ago where wagons were binding on a junction's geometry. The facts behind each incident may point to various root causes, but the proportion of freight to passenger working derailments seems high at the moment.

SF-02

And wasn't freight recently banned from the flyover Lewisham due to fears over safety. I know that's a different area. The flyover was a planned short term fix after a crash about 50 years ago but never replaced.

The points at Lewisham broke a year or two back causing a week or longer of problems. For years people have said Lewisham needs a comprehensive rebuild. It needed it before all the towers were built around it the past 5 years. At least 5-10 more are planned the next 5 years.

fusionblue

Meanwhile on the catford loop, no extra trains stopped to handle the extra demand despite plenty going through (from both SET and TL, some of which was half empty with seats visible).

trainmania100

Established Member
Lewisham isnt that far from Grain, perhaps there was a defect with the wagon that was overlooked.
How are those wagons unloaded? Does the grain come out of the bottom? With JNAs a grabber is used, and i have seen how they treat them, they really smash them up with the grabbers and knock them about

GB

Established Member
Lewisham isnt that far from Grain, perhaps there was a defect with the wagon that was overlooked.
How are those wagons unloaded? Does the grain come out of the bottom? With JNAs a grabber is used, and i have seen how they treat them, they really smash them up with the grabbers and knock them about

There can be any number of reasons or combination of reasons why it derailed, no point speculating untill someone can offer some actual facts.

Deepgreen

Established Member
There can be any number of reasons or combination of reasons why it derailed, no point speculating untill someone can offer some actual facts.

I don't there's anything wrong with speculation on a discussion forum as long as it is clearly identified as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.