• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Rapid Deployment Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all,

I haven’t seen this posted yet, but apologies if it has been. Just seen this on FL’s site. Looks interesting, and there’s loads of vacancies apparently, but I assume you’re basically at there beck and call. £85k salary, but I guess you’d be expected to work for that lol.

Link below.

Click Me

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nb2001uk

Hi all,

I haven’t seen this posted yet, but apologies if it has been. Just seen this on FL’s site. Looks interesting, and there’s loads of vacancies apparently, but I assume you’re basically at there beck and call. £85k salary, but I guess you’d be expected to work for that lol.

Link below.

Click Me
There is a thread on this

Stigy

Established Member
I’m quite interested, but I don’t know if I have the bottle to leave my TOC…….
The money is tempting, but you’d have to sell your soul I guess. I suppose the nature of the work would be something different and quite varied too. Don’t think I’d have the bottle. It’s not compatible with family life either judging by the job description. Definitely worth considering if you have no family commitments I suppose (or if your family are used to you being away from home etc already).

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Both this and the similar Colas vacancy read like you'll be living out of a suitcase babysitting trains in engineering possessions for 2 years. Great if you're a nomad who likes hotel rooms I guess but it's not a lifestyle I could lead with a young family at home.

Established Member
For a young and single driver with a premium tinder subscription it could be perfect:lol::lol:

Dieseldriver

Be a fantastic job for someone with no family, no friends, no life and a kink for being shafted on a regular basis

Tyrion

Hi all,

Link below.

Click Me
Closer to £87k with recent pay deal, you sign up for 2 years and contrary to belief it it isn’t solely possession work.
They predominantly want the RDDs to work on new enquiries coming in rather than the boom and bust of recruiting a drivers based at a depot to begin with especially if contracts are shorter.
Freight seems to be on the up at the moment but can still be volatile
There will be possession work of course but that won’t be the main thrust of it.
You can be sent anywhere in UK with 72 hours notice and you will work week to week. Flexibility is key there is no getting round it, if you have any doubts about staying away or a have a wedding coming up or have kids on the way or a young family(unless used to it) then I would stay clear. They don’t pay you and extra 20k plus for nothing.
But it is for 2 years and then you can revert to a Driver based on HH conditions at the base location you applied for or extend RDD contract.

Be a fantastic job for someone with no family, no friends, no life and a kink for being shafted on a regular basis
Like 90% of sales reps jobs out there then. I get the point but if you go in with eyes wide open to it then no one can have any complaints. If folk see the £85k in big flashing lights and that is main motivation then it isn’t for them.

For a young and single driver with a premium tinder subscription it could be perfect:lol::lol:
Whatever floats your boat I suppose

Seejwalker

The money is tempting, but you’d have to sell your soul I guess. I suppose the nature of the work would be something different and quite varied too. Don’t think I’d have the bottle. It’s not compatible with family life either judging by the job description. Definitely worth considering if you have no family commitments I suppose (or if your family are used to you being away from home etc already).
Joint the dark side @Stigy become a signaller <D

LeGrimpeur

Does it state a max journey time to your chosen depot? I couldn't see it in the advert? Thanks

Also, is the advert implying that FL may not continue the role after 2yrs? Or just that the driver can choose to stop after 2yrs? Is it such and awful job people will be looking to bail out?

Last edited:

Tyrion

Does it state a max journey time to your chosen depot? I couldn't see it in the advert? Thanks

Also, is the advert implying that FL may not continue the role after 2yrs? Or just that the driver can choose to stop after 2yrs? Is it such and awful job people will be looking to bail out?
Hi, the depot locations are just for their HR system but I’d imagine it would be an hour if you choose to return there.
The 2 year time scale is to give you the chance to review if you want to continue in that role or go back to your chosen base location. You then renew for another 2 years if you are happy being on the road.

LeGrimpeur

Hi, the depot locations are just for their HR system but I’d imagine it would be an hour if you choose to return there.
The 2 year time scale is to give you the chance to review if you want to continue in that role or go back to your chosen base location. You then renew for another 2 years if you are happy being on the road.
Thanks for that info much appreciated.

Do you know what a typical working week might look like? Do you get any definite rest days or are you always on call? The advert is very light on detail.

Tyrion

Thanks for that info much appreciated.

Do you know what a typical working week might look like? Do you get any definite rest days or are you always on call? The advert is very light on detail.
There is no typical week and and yes you do get rest days where they will try their best to group them together as much as possible but you won’t get to know until the Friday. You do not work in a link system as it will all depend on contracts you are being assigned to.

Established Member
Many Rapid Deployment positions at multiple depots listed on the FL jobs website at the moment.

4F89

Many Rapid Deployment positions at multiple depots listed on the FL jobs website at the moment.
Makes you wonder why more current HH drivers aren't jumping at the chance......

Tyrion

A fair few have and already in post route learning at moment.
A fair few existing freight drivers jumping over as well.
It won’t be for everyone this type of job.

Established Member

I must admit I struggle to see the appeal of this for qualified drivers. If you just want to earn £85k that could be easily achieved by working rest days at your own depot with a lot less lifestyle disruption?

Established Member
I must admit I struggle to see the appeal of this for qualified drivers. If you just want to earn £85k that could be easily achieved by working rest days at your own depot with a lot less lifestyle disruption?
Does anyone know the overtime options for a rapid deployment driver?

Is the 85k the basic or is it normal basic with enhancements? 85k basic would make the hourly rate attractive for overtime

Tyrion

Does anyone know the overtime options for a rapid deployment driver?

Is the 85k the basic or is it normal basic with enhancements? 85k basic would make the hourly rate attractive for overtime
That’s a fair question to ask, it’s basic plus RDD allowance so what would the rest day payment be based on especially if you are away from home etc you are doing RDD duties

4F89

That’s a fair question to ask, it’s basic plus RDD allowance so what would the rest day payment be based on especially if you are away from home etc you are doing RDD duties
AIUI, overtime would be just the hours you work at flat rate of HH basic. The way the 85 is made up is

HH basic
+ instructor payment
+ RDD payment

With no RDW payment (just hours × rate)
With no lodging payment
5 days instead of 4....

As far as I know, none of the HH guys on long term mendip/acton secondment are wanting to go RDD. Says enough for me. Living out of a suitcase, being an instructor, working an extra day, for basically the same money as just being HH. No ta.

Tyrion

AIUI, overtime would be just the hours you work at flat rate of HH basic. The way the 85 is made up is

HH basic
+ instructor payment
+ RDD payment

With no lodging payment
5 days instead of 4....

As far as I know, none of the HH guys on long term mendip/acton secondment are wanting to go RDD. Says enough for me. Living out of a suitcase, being an instructor, working an extra day, for basically the same money as just being HH. No ta.
In fairness they must make a fortune on that contract at Mendip, did DB bit refuse to let their drivers transfer over to that?

Mgv1349

HH basic
+ instructor payment
+ RDD payment

With no lodging payment
5 days instead of 4....

The Oracle.

Established Member

HH basic
+ instructor payment
+ RDD payment

With no lodging payment
5 days instead of 4....

The Oracle.

Yep, some excellent insight there.

Status
Not open for further replies.