• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner - Trainee Drivers (05/12/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrion

You may well get asked at your interview, however my bet is 99.9% of you will be HH.

This is due to FL now merging HH and IM to become one. I am IM and since drivers have retired or left my Depot, none have been replaced, just HH cross covering our work which is a sore subject across all depots of FL for the Intermoal driver.

Best of luck to all of you.
This is incorrect on so many levels.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MatthewLdn

So I’ve just found out that I am unable to continue my application because sat and passed the CBI with another toc and because of this, I am unable to sit the MMI within 6 months. Seems a bit unfair considering I passed the CBI and they are two different assessments.

Class2ldn

Established Member
I thought you could take it but it would overwrite the cbi as a result either way.
You can only have 1 or the other, not both.

Whitehouse3489

Can anyone recommend good training material for the assessment day? Seen the how to become book and others but would rather go off peoples experience of using these?

MatthewLdn

I thought you could take it but it would overwrite the cbi as a result either way.
You can only have 1 or the other, not both.
I guess everything happens for a reason. Hopefully I’ll pass the DMI with the other toc and all will be fine.

Terry844

Can anyone recommend good training material for the assessment day? Seen the how to become book and others but would rather go off peoples experience of using these?
The training material they send you before the assessment day is all I used and is good enough to prepare you for the tests they will use. However if you search on these forums you will find some practice material that may help you

Kbendle

For those of you who are going up to Watford soon that have already completed some aspects of the assessments might benefit from emailing Michelle at the opc.

I was due to go up on Monday but upon re-reading the email from her, I noticed it was missing a few exams, so I asked and from what I can gather it’s basically stage 1 of testing that day, hence only 4 hours.

I only need to resit stage 2 (hopefully just the 1 exam I failed) so I no longer have to go up this Monday but when stage 2 starts I’ll then have to go up but thought I’d mention it as may save some people a drive.

IFeelTheNeed

For those of you who are going up to Watford soon that have already completed some aspects of the assessments might benefit from emailing Michelle at the opc.

I was due to go up on Monday but upon re-reading the email from her, I noticed it was missing a few exams, so I asked and from what I can gather it’s basically stage 1 of testing that day, hence only 4 hours.

I only need to resit stage 2 (hopefully just the 1 exam I failed) so I no longer have to go up this Monday but when stage 2 starts I’ll then have to go up but thought I’d mention it as may save some people a drive.
Hhhmm I haven't heard of separate stages on separate days before. I did an assessment centre for FL in 2019 and it was all on one day. However it wasn't in a hotel... So maybe that's why..

Does anyone have the details of the salary before and after training please?
It was on the job advert... Also depends whether the depot is Intermodal (IM) or HeavyHaul (HH)

Does anyone have the details of the salary before and after training please?
So salary in classroom training when you join the company basically is 21,822 (HH).

Then after like 10 weeks approx it goes to 27,617 because now you're doing practical handling training (HH).

And when you qualify it goes to 58,424 (HH).

Those figures were correct at time of the job listing. But when the trainees qualify their final pay will be whatever the new driver salary is after pay rises that happened since the job listing or whilst the trainees were training ... I won't go into that :)

Last edited:

Woodyrs

Received my VSE and M7SJT this afternoon for Crewe if anybody else is still waiting. Check your emails !

Aspen90

So I’ve just found out that I am unable to continue my application because sat and passed the CBI with another toc and because of this, I am unable to sit the MMI within 6 months. Seems a bit unfair considering I passed the CBI and they are two different assessments.
Hi, just to be clear you sat the driver manager interview with another TOC and now can’t do the MMI with Freightliner? I’m in a similar position so need to work out what’s best to do.

MatthewLdn

Hey, no I sat the Criteria Based Interview (CBI) with another toc. I’ve now found out that I can no longer sit the MMI for 6 months from the date I sat the CBI, which has pretty much meant that 3 of my other applications that require MMI will be binned. I’m waiting for a DMI date with the toc I passed the CBI with.

TheAnswer89

Hey, no I sat the Criteria Based Interview (CBI) with another toc. I’ve now found out that I can no longer sit the MMI for 6 months from the date I sat the CBI, which has pretty much meant that 3 of my other applications that require MMI will be binned. I’m waiting for a DMI date with the toc I passed the CBI with.

You can sit MMI. It will overwrite your CBI score though, so if your main priority is CBI using TOC you can't sit MMI.

TonyBrides

Hhhmm I haven't heard of separate stages on separate days before. I did an assessment centre for FL in 2019 and it was all on one day. However it wasn't in a hotel... So maybe that's why..

It was on the job advert... Also depends whether the depot is Intermodal (IM) or HeavyHaul (HH)

So salary in classroom training when you join the company basically is 21,822 (HH).

Then after like 10 weeks approx it goes to 27,617 because now you're doing practical handling training (HH).

And when you qualify it goes to 58,424 (HH).

Those figures were correct at time of the job listing. But when the trainees qualify their final pay will be whatever the new driver salary is after pay rises that happened since the job listing or whilst the trainees were training ... I won't go into that :)

I’ve got my training program and it’s 16 weeks not 10 from starting until I start my mentor hours.

Aspen90

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve never even heard of a CBI and I thought I was pretty clued up on all this! At what stage do you sit the CBI?

MatthewLdn

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve never even heard of a CBI and I thought I was pretty clued up on all this! At what stage do you sit the CBI?
The CBI is similar to the MMI, although instead of 6 questions, it’s 5. I believe only a few companies still use the CBI.

PK96

Majority of you all have heard back... And I'm here still waiting ahhh! Don't really know what to think of this

DerbyshireSt

Majority of you all have heard back... And I'm here still waiting ahhh! Don't really know what to think of this
Send an email to check. I did so last week after not hearing anything to find that I had been successful and a previous email had gone adrift (not received, not in spam folder etc) inviting me to further assessments on 17 January.

PK96

Send an email to check. I did so last week after not hearing anything to find that I had been successful and a previous email had gone adrift (not received, not in spam folder etc) inviting me to further assessments on 17 January.
Would you be able to provide me with the email address?

TonyBrides

You're probably right then, mate. I was going off my memory so the 10 weeks was a very rough estimate. Sorry people!

I was told 12 weeks. So I was a little gutted when I got my training plan and discovered it was 16.

£21,800 ain’t a lot of money. I’m a Cop so it’s over £23k less than I’m currently earning. But I’m not joining for the starting pay. I’m sure it’ll be worth it I’m the long run.

IFeelTheNeed

I was told 12 weeks. So I was a little gutted when I got my training plan and discovered it was 16.

£21,800 ain’t a lot of money. I’m a Cop so it’s over £23k less than I’m currently earning. But I’m not joining for the starting pay. I’m sure it’ll be worth it I’m the long run.
Yes it will be worth it in the end, so just survive in the meantime!

PNutt

Thanks for response. Forgive my ignorance but could you give more details how it would work?
You’d join the new stater link. 13 weeks, work 5 weeks, 1 week off, work 5 weeks, 2 weeks off. Mixture of early morning, afternoon and night shifts.

GLENMAYE77

I went through the same scenario, had to ‘tighten my belt’ for a bit and dig into the OT I’d done before leaving.
Fast forward a few years and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done.

Think of it as a temporary backward step for a huge leap forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.