• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TazzyWazzy

Hi guys

I have a quick question, I recently failed the SJT assessments recently (less than 6 months ago) for another TOC and in their email advising me that I had not been successful they stated couldn't apply for another driver position for 6 months but I assume that was with them only

I have received an email from FL inviting me to complete the next stage of the application process with them....my worry is that does the failed attempt with the first TOC count as one of my 2 strikes and if so, if I mess this one up that's me done for in trying for a driver job

Can anyone shed any light on this please

Congrats and good luck to all those who have received invites to the next stage

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi guys

I have a quick question, I recently failed the SJT assessments recently (less than 6 months ago) for another TOC and in their email advising me that I had not been unsuccessful they stated couldn't apply for another driver position for 6 months but I assume that was with them only

I have received an email from FL inviting me to complete the next stage of the application process with them....my worry is that does the failed attempt with the first TOC count as one of my 2 strikes and if so, if I mess this one up that's me done for in trying for a driver job

Can anyone shed any light on this please

Congrats and good luck to all those who have received invites to the next stage

If it’s only at the application stage, you can have as many goes as you like/need. It’s only once you’re invited to assessment for the Trainability and MMI assessments that it becomes ‘two strikes and you’re out’.

Stigy

Established Member
It’s when the scores required in order to pass the tests are raised. Obviously making the tests slightly more difficult.
Is this just at the application stage, or throughout the process? I assumed that at the actual assessment Centre and MMI stage there was one set standard?

TazzyWazzy

If it’s only at the application stage, you can have as many goes as you like/need. It’s only once you’re invited to assessment for the Trainability and MMI assessments that it becomes ‘two strikes and you’re out’.

Thanks Stigy! Very relieved now, I'll give it a go then.

Cheers again

Teddyward

Is this just at the application stage, or throughout the process? I assumed that at the actual assessment Centre and MMI stage there was one set standard?
AFAIK the tests that can be marked higher than national are group bourdon and tea-occ. there are additional tests that can also make it “enhanced” eg DFFT, SCAAT, VSE. there is no set standard as to what is enhanced. Different operators can set different standards as to what is enhanced.

PaulBusDriver

Just received my email reply telling me Im through to the Online SJT and VSE, after completing the first online asessment.

xtradj

The online sjt and vse is not part of your “two strikes and your out” and does not affect your previous scores at this stage

casualdav

Evening all. I have also received invitation to complete SJT and VSE tests. After reading the sample questions for SJT tests it seemed in my opinion that most of the questions didnt seem to have a clear right answer unlike the questionnaire in the previous stage. I'd like to know if anyone knows the purpose of this test is it just a personality test or is it more to see if the candidate can make quick decisions.

Stigy

Established Member
AFAIK the tests that can be marked higher than national are group bourdon and tea-occ. there are additional tests that can also make it “enhanced” eg DFFT, SCAAT, VSE. there is no set standard as to what is enhanced. Different operators can set different standards as to what is enhanced.

Thanks, I didn’t know this. Any idea what why there are different standard and what it is that dictates that a company uses enhanced guidelines? At an educated guess I’d imagine it’s because of freight train drivers deemed to require a high aptitude for the role? Maybe because of the nature of the job?

GJL9916

Thought as much, I just don’t want to lose the standard, I went for enhanced with EMT and only managed standard tbf only failed on 2 and just need to be a bit more accurate next time

What kind of margin for error do they allow for the tests? As I have recently done the SJTs and VSEs for freightliner, whilst it's hard to tell for the SJTs as they are open to interpretation but hopefully did ok, with the VSEs I didn't get 100% correct but there were literally coming at me every couple of seconds for 30 mins or so, hopefully they allow for a few errors?

Markdev

What kind of margin for error do they allow for the tests? As I have recently done the SJTs and VSEs for freightliner, whilst it's hard to tell for the SJTs as they are open to interpretation but hopefully did ok, with the VSEs I didn't get 100% correct but there were literally coming at me every couple of seconds for 30 mins or so, hopefully they allow for a few errors?
I’m not going to lie I really don’t know what the margin is, all I do know is you’ve got to be accurate and quick

casualdav

I just did my VSE test and SJT. I answered 21 out of the 25 for SJT, really disappointed. The VSE test especially part three was really difficult. However I felt I performed better on the VSE tests. Fingers crossed and all the best to everyone else completing the application over the next few days.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I just did my VSE test and SJT. I answered 21 out of the 25 for SJT, really disappointed. The VSE test especially part three was really difficult. However I felt I performed better on the VSE tests. Fingers crossed and all the best to everyone else completing the application over the next few days.

Gonna attempt it today... would you say each part took an hour..?

casualdav

The SJT was 70 minutes which I failed to complete in time, perhaps due to over thinking. The questions I felt rarely had clear cut answers unlike the questionnaire in the previous stage.

I think the VSE was an hour but it felt like 30 minutes. Once the test starts you have no time for a lapse in concentration make sure your free from distraction. Unfortunately for me I had to put up with my eldest son playing that bloody fortnite game In the background. The perks of having a young family haha.

My only advice is it is very easy to panic and lose your head once you get an answer wrong In part 3 but concentrate on the main screen which the the test tells you to do.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Blimey I've found the practice tests tricky enough! Going to do the real tests tomorrow when I'm a bit more awake...!

Ibra

I just did the one for Crossrail was bloody hard made too many mistakes

TazzyWazzy

I've done the SJT one and that took me close to an hour but managed all 25, but I can see how you become engrossed and start over thinking and can lose track of time. I couldn't see a timer anywhere do suggest timing it yourself to keep track

Will have a go at the VSE tomorrow hopefully

PaulBusDriver

I've praticed for the past three days and Im still finding the VSE a bit hard to get the hang of. I'm missing a few if I'm quick and if I check it letter by letter as quickly as I can I can't fnish the page in time!
I'm hoping if I keep practicing it will embed itself and I'll have got a working routine going. Any tips would be really appreciated!

TazzyWazzy

I've only briefly looked at the VSE but I found reading the letters out a little loud in my head helped....so while I'm checking the right hand column I'm reading the letters out loud and following them with my finger in the right hand column

Not sure if I've explained that really well...sorry

PaulBusDriver

No, Im probably too tired after 4 x 12hr shifts to do it tonight but I'll take any advice on board and try it all out tomorrow, see what works. Thanks mate.

casualdav

I've praticed for the past three days and Im still finding the VSE a bit hard to get the hang of. I'm missing a few if I'm quick and if I check it letter by letter as quickly as I can I can't fnish the page in time!
I'm hoping if I keep practicing it will embed itself and I'll have got a working routine going. Any tips would be really appreciated!

I found the VSE mock papers really easy to be honest. The real test however especially stage 3 was difficult. Stage 1 is piss easy, stage 2 you have 3 seconds at most to decide whether the shapes are the same or not. Stage 3 you have to do both stages simultaneously with again about 3 seconds to make your decision.

PaulBusDriver

I find the Squares with dots easy enough, the letters Im OK at but not quite as good as I'd be comfortable with yet. Im quite good at the Group Bourdon already so I guess its just training myself to match letters instead, more practice is definitely going to help.
As we've got until Friday at 5pm I'm going to fully utilise the time.

casualdav

I find the Squares with dors easy enough, the letters Im Ok at but not quite as good as I'd be comfortable with yet. Im quite good at the Group Bourdon already so I guess its just training myself to match letters instead, more practice is definitely going to help.
As we've got until Friday at 5pm 'm going to fully utilise the time.

I don't blame you, in hindsight I wish had done the same. When you say your quite good on group bourdon, with respect how do you know that? I downloaded the software yesterday and I've done a few tests but how do you know how well you are doing on it or do you just search the forum for a rough benchmark?

Status
Not open for further replies.