• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

delticdeano74

Did this come from HR, the answer I received was pretty vague and seemed as though they didn't really know what was going on themselves.
Hi mate, it was at my DMI. I mentioned I'd been in a talent pool for 2 years with a TOC and then got told I was no longer in it and would have to re-apply when another vacancy came up, so it was in response to that. So, as frustrating as it might be, at least you know you will be starting a course sooner or later. I can think of worse situations to be in. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seejwalker

Hi mate, it was at my DMI. I mentioned I'd been in a talent pool for 2 years with a TOC and then got told I was no longer in it and would have to re-apply when another vacancy came up, so it was in response to that. So, as frustrating as it might be, at least you know you will be starting a course sooner or later. I can think of worse situations to be in. :)
The results stay on file with Freightliner for 5 years though, so in theory they could keep you in a pool for that length of time until you need to reapply. All I can do is play the waiting game anyway.

I was told in my DMI that there were 3 possible outcomes. 1) You get offered a role and start in Nov, 2) You get offered a role and start in Feb or later (pipeline) or 3) You don’t get offered a role. It’s not a traditional pipeline as they need to train more people than they have trainer drivers, therefore they have to stagger the starters accordingly. I’ve been told I will start in Feb or May depending on when the next course for Crewe starts.

Seejwalker

I was told in my DMI that there were 3 possible outcomes. 1) You get offered a role and start in Nov, 2) You get offered a role and start in Feb or later (pipeline) or 3) You don’t get offered a role. It’s not a traditional pipeline as they need to train more people than they have trainer drivers, therefore they have to stagger the starters accordingly. I’ve been told I will start in Feb or May depending on when the next course for Crewe starts.
That's all I've heard too, is that those heading for Crewe are taking priority on the courses, does this mean that those of us who are not won't be getting a course?

GLENMAYE77

There’s likely to be driver trainers at other depots but Crewe/Birmingham taking priority.
Whilst those trainees are busy with their driving training other depots can have their recruits going through the classroom part.

That’s how I’m thinking of it.

I’d love to be in the ‘talent pool’ group but I’ve still got my stage 2 to go

Last edited:

Mike121

Did they say how many jobs are going for Crewe?

And how many on a course?

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
I think I need to stay away from this forum while I’m waiting for results; it’s just stressing me out!

They didn’t say how many they were taking on. Although I think the number over all is more than ever before. I’ve heard that around 40 years ago BR recruited a large number of drivers, those drivers are now due to retire. I was told Virgin trains are having to recruit a fair few as are other TOCs and they tend to get a lot of qualified drivers from FOCs. Hence why FOCs are recruiting Trainees .

Stigy

Established Member
They didn’t say how many they were taking on. Although I think the number over all is more than ever before. I’ve heard that around 40 years ago BR recruited a large number of drivers, those drivers are now due to retire. I was told Virgin trains are having to recruit a fair few as are other TOCs and they tend to get a lot of qualified drivers from FOCs. Hence why FOCs are recruiting Trainees .
My TOC recently had a big recruitment campaign too. Our drivers were going on to a 35-hour week (not sure if it’s the same for most TOCs?), and as such there were a lot of vacancies, plus the usual retirees. We also apparently don’t have a enough DIs so they’ve recruited some trainees but have no one to do the traction training with...

Stigy

Established Member
No mate, all I've been told is that I had a really good Interview and I'm in the candidate pool where I will be asked to do a medical when a vacancy opens in my area
What constitutes a good interview? I know that question is a bit generic, but just wondered what yours was like and how you answered some of the questions if you could divulge? It’s only been a few days and I honestly can’t tell how mine went lol. Historically that’s been a positive sign for me, but I’m starting to think too much again...

Seejwalker

What constitutes a good interview? I know that question is a bit generic, but just wondered what yours was like and how you answered some of the questions if you could divulge? It’s only been a few days and I honestly can’t tell how mine went lol. Historically that’s been a positive sign for me, but I’m starting to think too much again...
That's a good question, as I felt my MMI went terribly and my DMI went really well. That said I did have two DMI interviews as a result of conflicting scores in my first interview. So honestly I don't know what makes a good Interview, if I can give you one piece of advice, try not to stress too much, just know that you've done your best and it will work out for you.

Stigy

Established Member
That's a good question, as I felt my MMI went terribly and my DMI went really well. That said I did have two DMI interviews as a result of conflicting scores in my first interview. So honestly I don't know what makes a good Interview, if I can give you one piece of advice, try not to stress too much, just know that you've done your best and it will work out for you.
Thanks for the advice, it’s much appreciated. I found the MMI and DMI both very relaxing and wasn’t nervous once I was there to be honest. I don’t think the DMI went badly, but feel I could have answered some of the questions better. The fact it was relaxed was almost like a false sense of security I felt? :D

I felt the same way about the MMI but found out within 5-minutes of finishing it that I’d passed. I got the impression that it would take longer to score, as she told me to go and make a cup of tea and she’d come and get me. That was a good feeling. (didn’t even get chance to make my cuppa....but had already put their last tea bag in the cup. Whoops) :D

Seejwalker

There’s likely to be driver trainers at other depots but Crewe/Birmingham taking priority.
Whilst those trainees are busy with their driving training other depots can have their recruits going through the classroom part.

That’s how I’m thinking of it.

I’d love to be in the ‘talent pool’ group but I’ve still got my stage 2 to go
You will be fine mate honestly, stage 2 is no harder than the first stage. Good luck.

Paulm36

Just out of interest , has anyone else applied for thamesport on this thread? And if so have you sat your stage 2 yet ? I've had such a long wait between mine , and was wondering if anyone had in fact Been interviewed for that depot yet ?

Stigy

Established Member
I'm yet to come across any IM candidates, I didn't even see it as an option when applying. Though I could be wrong.
I’m in for either. I applied for Intermodal and don’t recall seeing HH as an option as Eastleigh (which I applied for) has a lot of Intermodal work I guess, being primarily shipping containers? However, when I went for DMI I was told they will likely have a few big HH contracts starting very soon so when asked which I’d prefer, was advised to tick both IM and HH boxes to stand a better chance of getting something.

If I’m honest, IM would be better for me because even though the fully qualified salary is less (about £46k), it’s more structured in terms of rostering which would obviously be better for family life. If offered HH only, I’d obviously accept it though.

Seejwalker

Ah I see, now I come to think of it I did get asked if I would be willing to do either and possibly go for a different depot.

Paull

When I sat my stage two I was the only one for Birmingham IM. The other 4 were all for Crewe. Not heard much talk about Birmingham considering it’s supposed to be a depot short of drivers.

Stigy

Established Member
Crewe mate!
You’ve probably said this numerous times mate, I’m losing track haha. I’ve only seen maybe one other person who applied for Eastleigh here. Not sure how many vacancies they have there or how many applicants they had. I know compared to ooooop north we don’t have much in terms of freight (we have a lot, just not the same volume from what I’ve seen).

Status
Not open for further replies.