• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lab

Yes, that's me. I received a rejection email about three weeks ago. I had already passed assessment stage 1 and DMI with them at the end of 2016 (Gillingham depot) but still at the same time I had failed stage 2, the MMI. I guess they were keeping me as a spare wheel. Once they filled all the available spots and the recruitment journey was over they got rid of the spare wheel. I also suppose I wasn't close enough to Orpington depot.
Hi gMT, when did you do the MMI and failed? Are u saying They still kept you on a list after you failed MMI? Don't get that bit.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Letter just arrived for a medical tomorrow, talk about quick turnaround.

Ha, that's what happened to me on my initial medical, she phoned on Monday and said "could I make a medical tomorrow in Stockport?" so I said sure, as Stockport is right next to where I live... then when the email confirmation came through later on monday it said "Oh by the way it's actually in Birmingham, not Stockport, hope that's still ok" :lol:

GMT

Hi gMT, when did you do the MMI and failed? Are u saying They still kept you on a list after you failed MMI? Don't get that bit.
Sorry, I think I created a bit of confusion when I used the metaphor of the spare wheel.

I passed the written and computer tests (DFFT included) in September two years ago. GTR does everything in one day (SJT included) except the MMI. You start at 9.00 and if you pass every test you finish at 17.00, or even after. Quite tiring. Then still in September I sat the DMI, which I passed. GTR usually but not always does the DMI before the MMI. Then at the beginning of October 2016 I did the MMI and failed. All that was for Gillingham depot.

Then in March this year I applied for the Orpington depot. What I meant with that metaphor is that at first it would seem they kept my application in consideration for some time otherwise I cannot explain to myself why they waited until the beginning of November instead of sending a rejection email when all the others had received theirs, but I may be wrong, of course. I was reading on the forum of people receiving invitations to tests, MMI, medicals and so on but I wasn't hearing a dicky bird from them regarding my application. I even sent a couple of emails but with no joy. Anyway, let bygones be bygones. At present my hopes are with Freightliner Group, but you never know, in the railway cosmos anything can change at any time.

Lab

Gmt, very clear now.
Like you said nothing is predictable.
Hopefully the experience earlier would assist with the Freightliner MMI.
Out if curiosity, would you be expected only to do the MMI with Freightliners?
Or both DMI and MMI?
It's 2 attempts in 5 years or 2 attempts in a lifetime? I'm awaiting reply from DB too , nothing received.

LGB87

Been invited to the assessment day in Watford on 11th December, for these tests -

· The Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test Part 1 and 2
· The Group Bourdon Concentration Test
· The Driver Fault Finding Test (DFFT)
· The Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ)

Does this mean there won't be any actual 'job interviews' at this stage? How many 'stages' are there in the recruitment process?

Last edited:

Seejwalker

Been invited to the assessment day in Watford on 11th December, for these tests -

· The Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test Part 1 and 2
· The Group Bourdon Concentration Test
· The Driver Fault Finding Test (DFFT)
· The Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ)

Does this mean there won't be any actual 'job interviews' at this stage? How many 'stages' are there in the recruitment process?

There are two stages mate, if successful at this stage you will progress onto Vienna tests, MMi and DMI. So no, there are no interviews at this stage.

GMT

Gmt, very clear now.
Like you said nothing is predictable.
Hopefully the experience earlier would assist with the Freightliner MMI.
Out if curiosity, would you be expected only to do the MMI with Freightliners?
Or both DMI and MMI?
It's 2 attempts in 5 years or 2 attempts in a lifetime? I'm awaiting reply from DB too , nothing received.
If I fail the MMI again I may perhaps say goodbye to the train driver job, two attempts gone. If I pass the MMI, I have then to do the DMI. I shouldn't have to do any of the assessments because as far as I know the Thameslink ones are enhanced, same as Freightliner, and they last for three years for the companies requiring the enhanced results and five years for the companies requiring national standard (i.e. Southeastern and Southern).

TonyMontana

Regarding the MMI I understand you write a sentence or 2 to the questions but when you sit the interview does the interviewer ask you the same question again and this time you go into more detail? or do they dive straight into their follow up questions?

Brooksy

Regarding the MMI I understand you write a sentence or 2 to the questions but when you sit the interview does the interviewer ask you the same question again and this time you go into more detail? or do they dive straight into their follow up questions?
You put a quick answer to the question and then in the interview you are asked questions in relation to your answers, it’s pretty easy and don’t over think it, as long as you put down things that you do or have done for you examples you will breeze the interview. Mine was very comfortable and as I knew all about what I do any questions were easy to answer Good luck and keep it simple!

Seejwalker

Anyone provide any insight to the medical? Other than hearing/sight test and drink/drug test I have mine tomorrow.

4F89

Can you bend? Heart beat measurements, blood pressure. Height/weight. That's about it

Seejwalker

Can you bend? Heart beat measurements, blood pressure. Height/weight. That's about it

It's all fairly straightforward then, as I was only notified this afternoon of my appointment tomorrow I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared for anything.

Diff

How’d you get on mate? Hope all went well

Got mine tomorrow. Just arrived at the hotel and about to look over some last minute prep.

How did you get on? Hope it all went well.

Thank you both :) Hopefully it went well, we’ll see. I’m not too hopeful about the MMI, I feel like it didn’t go amazingly, I was last up too.

The computer tests weren’t too bad, the first one with the grey square wasn’t nice, it wasn’t difficult but it’s just painful to sit looking at a computer screen for 30 minutes, but I suppose that’s what the test’s for so it makes sense! All 6 of us that attended passed the computer tests and we were all panicking about it because we knew we’d messed up but all passed fine.

DMI was nice, both of the people conducting the interview were very nice people and made it a nice experience. MMI was less nice but not a bad experience as long as you think about your answers and make sure you remember all the details necessary for your examples used.

Good luck for in a few hours Static and Glen :)

Seejwalker

Thank you both :) Hopefully it went well, we’ll see. I’m not too hopeful about the MMI, I feel like it didn’t go amazingly, I was last up too.

The computer tests weren’t too bad, the first one with the grey square wasn’t nice, it wasn’t difficult but it’s just painful to sit looking at a computer screen for 30 minutes, but I suppose that’s what the test’s for so it makes sense! All 6 of us that attended passed the computer tests and we were all panicking about it because we knew we’d messed up but all passed fine.

DMI was nice, both of the people conducting the interview were very nice people and made it a nice experience. MMI was less nice but not a bad experience as long as you think about your answers and make sure you remember all the details necessary for your examples used.

Good luck for in a few hours Static and Glen :)

I'm having my medical today, I was in your position a couple of months ago, I remember my 3 hour drive home tormenting myself because I thought I'd failed the MMi. Some find it easy and some don't. That doesn't mean you haven't passed and just keep your chin up mate.

Pete C

**** that they don't tell you about the MMI on the day anymore. I found out like 2 mins after and it was such a relief!

Status
Not open for further replies.