• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Third Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
Indeed. This is a very pertinent consideration.

On the subject of track workers, I've heard of a device that can be held up to tell whether an overhead line is energised. I wonder whether there is something that can be devised for the third rail.
I saw a thing on TV some years go and LT track workers had a device with a load of bulbs in it all in parallel. It sat across the 2 live rails. When the current went off the bulbs went out. I think the assumption was that if all 6 bulbs went phut, it wasn't your day!.
But a simple and effective device for detecting if the juice is off. I imagine a short circuiting bar would also be used.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
On the subject of track workers, I've heard of a device that can be held up to tell whether an overhead line is energised. I wonder whether there is something that can be devised for the third rail.

Historically such apparatuses existed, but they were withdrawn because they were simple lamps and were not fail safe as a result. (If the rail was live they would glow, but would obviously not glow if the lamp was broken)

The recent "DECARB" study proposed the development of a fail-safe successor to that equipment

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Historically such apparatuses existed, but they were withdrawn because they were simple lamps and were not fail safe as a result. (If the rail was live they would glow, but would obviously not glow if the lamp was broken)

The recent "DECARB" study proposed the development of a fail-safe successor to that equipment

That would be a sensible and worthwhile development. I can understand track staff being wary of relying on someone else to turn the current off.

D365

Veteran Member
"Test before touch" is a critical feature of all track work on electrified routes, be it overhead or third/fourth rail. But it's not 100% foolproof. Adjacent lines can remain energised or be accidentally re-energised.

AM9

Veteran Member
Well that's not strictly true given the existance of modern SCADA.

Indeed London Underground managed to escape the third rail (de-facto) prohibition by establishing safety procedures to eliiminate trackside staff with the conductor rail live.
A difference that I acknowledged earlier. LU was also aided by the fact that their tracks are pretty well segregated from the general public (e.g. very few crossings and of course the tunnels are in practice effectively inaccesible to trespassers). As you say, the controls and monitoring of the assets minimise any access to the live track. Indeed, the very limited clearances along much of the network makes work with any on track work during service running virtually impossible.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I saw a thing on TV some years go and LT track workers had a device with a load of bulbs in it all in parallel. It sat across the 2 live rails. When the current went off the bulbs went out. I think the assumption was that if all 6 bulbs went phut, it wasn't your day!.
But a simple and effective device for detecting if the juice is off. I imagine a short circuiting bar would also be used.

That does sound like a good solution.

Snow1964

Established Member

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Am I reading it correctly that the draft charges for CP7 have third rail as half that of ac electrification

Per page 19
ac OLE is 2.56 pence per mile
dc third rail is 1.26 pence per mile

If so why would any user prefer to convert dc route to ac

That’s the asset usage charge, not the electricity bill

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That did seem incredibly cheap for a loco or EMU which could draw up to 5MW!

Well quite. A 10 car train from Southend to Liverpool Street would be charged a shade over a tenner for the electrification asset usage charge. The power for the trip will be 10-20 times that.

Status
Not open for further replies.