• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB News

Esker-pades

Established Member
That statement seems to me to be simply not living in reality. There have been numerous examples recently of people's lives and careers being destroyed because other people who disagree with their opinions seek to get that person basically removed from all public life. To take just one recent example, how can you reconcile your statement that cancel culture does not exist with - say - the story of Kathleen Stock, who was threatened, had to be given police protection, and was eventually hounded out of her job as an a professor of Philosophy at Sussex University purely because of her views on gender?
And has made numerous appearences on TV media (incl. BBC, ITV) and has a new job precisely because of her views.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Esker-pades

Established Member
I've no idea what her new job is, but I think she'd have preferred to have kept her old one.
You have no idea what it is, but you've got an opinion about it.......

Here's what she said about the new job:
"Delighted to be invited to be a Founding Faculty Fellow of the University of Austin, a new initiative announced today by [Bari Weiss] alongside several other stellar individuals. I accepted with alacrity. It's an exciting looking project, focused on free inquiry. More here"

"DELIGHTED"
"ACCEPTED WITH ALACRITY"
"EXCITING PROJECT"

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
And has made numerous appearences on TV media (incl. BBC, ITV) and has a new job precisely because of her views.
Well, quite, she wasn't cancelled at all.

She was just the subject of disgusting and misogynist abuse and harassment, so she went overseas. Everything is fine! Nothing to see here!

Typhoon

Established Member

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

"Delighted to be invited to be a Founding Faculty Fellow of the University of Austin, a new initiative announced today by [Bari Weiss] alongside several other stellar individuals. I accepted with alacrity. It's an exciting looking project, focused on free inquiry. More here"

"DELIGHTED"
"ACCEPTED WITH ALACRITY"
"EXCITING PROJECT"

None of which makes any difference. The point is that she was hounded out of her job at the University of Sussex by people who disagreed with her views and were acting out the 'cancel culture' that someone claimed earlier in this thread doesn't exist. The fact that she subsequently did find a new job doesn't change the point that she shouldn't have been hounded out of the job she had.

MotCO

Established Member
None of which makes any difference. The point is that she was hounded out of her job at the University of Sussex by people who disagreed with her views and were acting out the 'cancel culture' that someone claimed earlier in this thread doesn't exist. The fact that she subsequently did find a new job doesn't change the point that she shouldn't have been hounded out of the job she had.

Correct. Would @Esker-pades be happy to have their lives disrupted by having to leave their job (which they probably enjoy) and having to find a new job, leave your country and move house, possibly leaving your family behind, all because your views are challenged by noisy agitators?

Esker-pades

Established Member
I haven't represented any of your views in the quote other than to support your correct assertion she wasn't cancelled!
OK. To me, the final bits came across as a bit sarcastic, and I don't agree that "everything is fine" re. the abuse.

Extract from an interview with Kathleen Stock by Lorraine Kelly from the 8th of November:
LK: "There's this whole thing about cancel culture, but you've not really been cancelled...."
KS: "No"
LK: "...because you walked away
You did resign. Why did you not stay? Because the university....supported you. Did it just get too much?"
KS: "It's too much. I think you saw some of things that were up there. There was posters saying I was a transhpobe, "fire her". There was a, for me, huge demonstration at an open day with all these people with banners saying "quit". It's my workplace. I've been there for 18 years, it was home for me, but it doesn't feel like home anymore. With a, you know, small number of students, but a very loud number of students"
LK: "Colleagues as well."
KS: "Colleagues too. Again, a small number, but very vocal, very insistent that I was a transphobe and I should go and you get to a point where you think 'this isn't for me anymore.' That was my personal decision."
LK: "I can appreciate that. Absolutely. Again with the cancel thing, you're talking to me, Woman's Hour, your book's being re-printed. You actually, in a way, you've got more of a voice now..."
KS: "I think that's true and I'm going to use it."

In the context of this discussion, the important bits are:
-She agreed she hadn't been cancelled
-She agreed her voice is now louder than it was
-She resigned after the university supported her position saying "it was a matter of academic freedom"

Correct. Would @Esker-pades be happy to have their lives disrupted by having to leave their job (which they probably enjoy) and having to find a new job, leave your country and move house, possibly leaving your family behind, all because your views are challenged by noisy agitators?
My job is not primarily reliant on me having opinions and arguing them. ***Not withstanding the abuse***, she has such a job, and is published. She has views which she broadcasts in public; people will challenge them.

On a point of order, she will not have to leave the country (and has said so - check her Twitter), she has not had to leave her family. I have questioned the job part too - see above.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

"DELIGHTED"
"ACCEPTED WITH ALACRITY"
"EXCITING PROJECT"
I happened to listen to an interview with her on the radio last Thursday morning in which she expressed her sorrow at feeling forced out of the job she loved, but maybe you think you know her feelings better than she does. Nothing in her later statement negates that - why should she be destroyed by the modern day witchfinders ?<D

The interview by Emma Barnett, a sharp cookie, was far longer and encompassing than the one by Lorraine Kelly.

Last edited:

Acfb

"DELIGHTED"
"ACCEPTED WITH ALACRITY"
"EXCITING PROJECT"

Yes that's right, there's all sorts of grifters on this topic such as Joanna Cherry as well. Very silly and newspapers like The Times amplify this stuff.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I happened to listen to an interview with her on the radio last Thursday morning in which she expressed her sorrow at feeling forced out of the job she loved, but maybe you think you know her feelings better than she does. Nothing in her later statement negates that - why should she be destroyed by the modern day witchfinders ?<D

The interview by Emma Barnett, a sharp cookie, was far longer and encompassing than the one by Lorraine Kelly.
All of my exchanges have been direct quotes from her, so there is no need or basis for the "maybe you think you know her feelings better than she does" line.

Perhaps we could have had a more nuanced debate, but without knowing what your sources are, and then you comparing the other side to witchfinders gives a position I can't be nuanced against.

Because of that, I'll draw a line here and have no more interaction with you on this matter.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
All of my exchanges have been direct quotes from her, so there is no need or basis for the "maybe you think you know her feelings better than she does" line.

Perhaps we could have had a more nuanced debate, but without knowing what your sources are, and then you comparing the other side to witchfinders gives a position I can't be nuanced against.

Because of that, I'll draw a line here and have no more interaction with you on this matter.
That is mutual as you apparently think I am not allowed to express an opinion. I can assure you I am and will.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
They'll soon boast more nonentities (sorry, presenters) than viewers. I puzzle as to how OFCOM reckons GB News follows their Broadcasting Code of Conduct Section 5 on due impartiality, due accuracy and undue prominence of views and opinions. There is special mention of politicians conducting interviews which, if what comes up on YouTube is to be believed, Nigel Farage does at the drop of a hat on a daily basis.

brad465

Established Member
Eammon Holmes is now joining GB News:

Eamonn Holmes is to host his own show on TV channel GB News.
The former Sky News and GMTV presenter, 62, will host a new programme in the New Year, the network has announced.
Holmes said: "I've spent my career on broadcasting firsts and start-ups, and GB News is one of the most exciting yet. It's just the kind of shake-up the industry needs."
He will leave ITV's This Morning, where he and wife Ruth Langsford currently act as holiday cover.
In his statement, Holmes added: "I've admired GB News from the beginning for its clever mix of punchy debate but delivered with warmth and even some fun.
"To me the greatest honour in journalism is to give a voice and respect to the unheard, and that's exactly what GB News is all about."
Holmes and Langsford normally present ITV's This Morning during school holidays, when main presenters Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield are away.
They previously also presented the show on Fridays. However the couple were replaced in their weekly slot by Dermot O'Leary and Alison Hammond. Some media outlets reported the pair were unhappy with the perceived demotion.
GB News launched in June and says it aims to "give a voice to the real Britain" and "take a frank and honest look at the world".
Holmes will join a line-up that includes former Ukip leader Nigel Farage, ex-BBC News anchor Simon McCoy, ITV veteran Alastair Stewart and former Sun journalist Dan Wootton.

Should fit right in if he holds the 5G conspiracy line.

Gloster

Established Member
According to the Grauniad, Simon McCoy is leaving and Eamonn Holmes and Isabel Webster will take over his spot.

Typhoon

Established Member
According to the Grauniad, Simon McCoy is leaving and Eamonn Holmes and Isabel Webster will take over his spot.
I wonder whether it is more like Eamonn Holmes and Isabel Webster will take over his spot (breakfast), as a result Simon McCoy is leaving. I notice his name is no longer listed as a Great British Breakfast presenter (although his picture is still there). It is difficult to know where McCoy would fit in elsewhere on the schedule, it is pretty packed with an increasing number of 1 and 2 hour programmes and he is essentially a news reader and journalist, not a 'views' journalist - where your views have to be controversial.

Still GB News did get some publicity when the Leader of the House of Commons praised it in his twitter feed with
GB News follows the best Reithian tradition as an impartial news channel.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Darren Grimes will start hosting a programme at 14.00 on Saturdays and Sundays from the new year.
It’s a bit of a graveyard slot (indeed, in the current schedule from 3pm-4pm on weekends they just show repeats at the moment).

brad465

Established Member
Darren Grimes will start hosting a programme at 14.00 on Saturdays and Sundays from the new year.
It’s a bit of a graveyard slot (indeed, in the current schedule from 3pm-4pm on weekends they just show repeats at the moment).
This is being described by many as GB news "scraping the barrel".

Typhoon

Established Member
This seems to bite into Alastair Stewart's programme. Assuming there are no other changes, with McCoy going and Stewart having his air-time reduced, both to make way for presenters with 'controversial' views, it will be difficult to justify Rees-Mogg's view that it is an 'impartial news channel' - in that it may be a channel but the other two are less easy to defend..

jon0844

Veteran Member
I hope Darren keeps his hands where we can see them at all times. God knows what the crafty git might get up to otherwise.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Graveyard? Abandoned cemetery more like it. :)

Scotrail12

I do think that Grimes is a bit of a low rent signing for them but I guess they need someone for the weekend afternoons. It was embarrassing that they launched with an incomplete weekend schedule.