• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB News

eMeS

I believe his "two-week break" started three weeks ago, so at the very least he's overstaying it.
... and yet they now seem to have got on top of the early technical problems. Whether the artistic content is worth watching will take longer for me to decide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FrankOwen

It's impossible to run a profitable, free to view News channel in the UK. Viewing figures can't generate adequate income from advertising.
The US model is different. The majority of Fox News' income comes from charging cable providers to allow FN as part of a cable package.
As said earlier in the thread, GBN is just there to push the Overton Window yet further to the right, convincing cretins that some vague notion of wokeness is the greatest threat to their well-being.
(wokeness being a rebranding of political correctness which was a rebranding of militant feminism/gay agenda.)

Typhoon

Established Member
The captain is the first to leave the sinking ship. However, I would be extremely sceptical of such rumours at such an early stage, but who could blame him if he decides to stay in the south of France?
It would probably finish him if he did.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The viewing figures from the Broadcasters Audience Research Board https://www.barb.co.uk/ are based on a sample of 12000 viewers in 5100 households, according to https://www.sciencefocus.com/future-technology/how-are-tv-viewing-figures-calculated/

With a UK population of 67m, that means that if one person from the viewer panel watches your program, the viewing figures estimate audience was 5500. That is fine for the mainstream channels, but it means that the viewing figures get a bit lumpy at the low end, and sometimes you might find there are no viewers on the panel.

Thanks! So, putting that info together with what the Guardian has said, I think what must be happening is that the sample size BARB uses to get viewing figures is too small to accurately capture viewing rates for programs at or around the 50K mark, which is where GBNews currently seems to be sitting. The average GB News viewing rates across the week may well be around 50K, but random noise in the sampling is going to swamp any attempts to accurately assess how much individual programs deviate from that average. And that, together with possibly some impact from the viewer boycott campaign[*] would probably account for the zero views figure.

[*] If there was a serious campaign - I don't know how you'd organise that or who would've done it, but I can't imagine it would've been much more than a few people posting on Twitter

Peter C

Established Member
Don't know if this is of interest to people on here, but I was just reading this thread, went on to Twitter, and this was the first tweet I saw:
@PoliticsForAll on Twitter said:
NEW: Guto Harri has been suspended from GB News for taking the knee
Via @guardian

-Peter

EDIT: And they've just given a link to the Guardian article:
Guto Harri has been indefinitely taken off air as a presenter on the rightwing channel GB News, sources at the station have told the Guardian, after being “cancelled” by its viewers because he symbolically took the knee on screen.

The channel is currently in crisis, with other staff considering leaving amid management upheaval, collapsing ratings and plans for a relaunch.

GB News was unable to withstand the strong and sustained viewer backlash to Harri’s display of solidarity with the racist abuse suffered by the England football team. The channel, set up on the basis that free and open debate is no longer possible in the mainstream media due to an all-pervasive “cancel culture”, was overwhelmed with complaints that after just a few weeks on air it had gone “woke” and its content was not sufficiently rightwing.

After three days and a growing boycott, which led to some shows attracting zero viewers, the channel’s management felt the need to cut Harri loose. In a statement GB News said it was “unacceptable” for any presenter to take the knee, a symbol associated with the Black Lives Matter movement, and said Harri had broken the channel’s editorial code.

Friends of Harri said: “GB News is becoming an absurd parody of what it proclaimed to be – not defending free speech and combatting cancel culture but replicating it on the far right. Nasty.

“It’s ridiculous to say he’s breached editorial standards and almost certainly defamatory. In reality it wasn’t a breach of editorial code but ‘sacked for offending the lynch mob’.”

It is unclear which part of the GB News editorial code Harri could have broken. The channel’s public editorial charter commits itself to core values including the “independence of our journalism”, “respect for opinions and those expressing them”, and “the right of every individual to form and share their views”.

A spokesperson for GB News was unable to immediately confirm whether Harri would be leaving the channel, or whether other key staff are still with the station.

The incident comes amid a growing crisis at the channel, which only launched four-and-a-half weeks ago. Some senior off-air staff are understood to have left in recent days amid ongoing turmoil following the channel’s disastrous launch, which was plagued by technical difficulties.

They include Gill Penlington, a respected and experienced producer at rolling news channels such as CNN and Sky News who was brought in as a senior figure ahead of its launch, only to leave earlier this week. The departure of other key off-air figures could be announced imminently, according to sources at the channel.

There is also strong speculation about Andrew Neil’s current relationship with the channel. He was involved with its creation and is chairman of its board, and the station was counting on his flagship 8pm show to bring in the viewers required to make it a success. However, after two weeks on air he has taken an extended holiday in the south of France. Despite posting dozens of tweets, he has not mentioned GB News in almost two weeks or shared any of its material.

The Harri incident has proved indicative of the issues facing GB News. Harri was a longserving BBC correspondent before moving into politics as Boris Johnson’s spokesperson during his first term as mayor of London. He then went to work for Rupert Murdoch’s News UK for several years yet has found himself portrayed by some GB News viewers as a dangerous leftwing Marxist sleeper agent.

There is particular upset among the GB News staff who publicly defended Harri’s right to freedom of speech earlier in the week, only to find their stance later contradicted publicly by management.

Staff describe a split between two broad camps. Some producers and presenters come from a mainstream broadcast journalism background and felt jumping ship to the new channel would give them a fresh challenge or a career boost. Others are approaching it from a more political angle with a personal commitment to culture war topics. In Neil’s absence, the only show with relatively healthy ratings has been Dan Wootton’s late-night show, which has lent heavily into culture war issues.

Neil had made clear before the channel’s launch that he did not want to be a “British Fox News” and would be committed to traditional journalism values albeit with a rightwing twist. However, this appears to be different to what its audience wanted. As David Kurten, a former Ukip politician who now leads the niche rightwing Heritage party, gleefully tweeted at the channel after Harri took the knee: “Go woke, go broke.”

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Must admit, I found him to be very dull and monotonous to watch.

Typhoon

Established Member
Nah, he'd return to Spectator TV and other talking head ventures. I quite like Andrew Neil tbh but I imagine he's probably kicking himself over joining GBN.
He certainly would have held Johnson's feet to the fire if he had had the chance. The chances of Johnson coming out of that encounter unscathed were minimal!

Taking your last point, he must have seen early on that they just weren't ready!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am puzzled that someone has been taken off air from a station which was supposed to be about freedom of speech wasn't it? He didn't do anything or offensive or illegal?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Cancelled for taking a knee. Pathetic.

I rather agree. Personally I don't really agree with taking the knee, but it's each person's personal choice. Sacking him amounts to exactly the same thing as the cancel culture on the left that GBNews has (rightly) decried.

Scotrail12

I don't think taking the knee during live broadcast was a great idea, especially knowing the demographic but it doesn't really matter IMO, freedom of speech, he's entitled to do it. I can kinda see why they put out that statement so they don't lose some of their viewers (didn't paint them in a flattering light either though) but I think they really jumped the shark by suspending him, that does make them look stupid now if they talk about cancel culture and freedom of speech.

Alastair Stewart is also out for a while because of an injury. I hope it's not circling the drain but I am a bit worried about what's next because it's been a pretty bad week for them all things considered after they had made some sort of progress.

I'm not quite sure what they can do - Ofcom's demands for impartiality means that they'll have to have some guests/presenters that a lot of the viewers don't like just to satisfy Ofcom so those looking for more partisan programming are inevitably going to be alienated at some point. A bit like TalkRadio who recently hired Trisha Goddard to presumably make the station look more balanced even though her show is not popular with their viewers at all. Bit of a catch 22 situation really.

wireforever

If GB News does cease to exist soon it will be a shame as Sky and BBC are just doing the minimum at the moment at least GB News does give good news stories relating to the UK a airing 9pm news on BBC is all US news how does the regulator allow this during peak time

tbtc

Veteran Member
I don't know whether part of the problem was Neil believing his own hype, about just how many of the apparently "silent majority" were craving a non-BBC news source that would tell them things that they already agreed with (though, if anyone goes on social media, you'll see that such people certainly aren't very "silent" these days) - can't see this being his final act as I doubt his vanity would allow him to be happy for being remembered for this rather than higher profile gigs that he used to have

The captain is the first to leave the sinking ship. However, I would be extremely sceptical of such rumours at such an early stage, but who could blame him if he decides to stay in the south of France?

Of course, he has to be careful now about how much time he spends in France (and whether any of that time is classed as "working") thanks to Brexit

Thanks! So, putting that info together with what the Guardian has said, I think what must be happening is that the sample size BARB uses to get viewing figures is too small to accurately capture viewing rates for programs at or around the 50K mark, which is where GBNews currently seems to be sitting

This is a problem with a few channels - there was a lot of "attention" a year or two ago when Blue Peter registered "zero" viewers - actually it was a repeat during the weekday (i.e. when the target audience is at school - it's going to be a bit complicated for toddlers who watch other shows at that time), rather than the main show's first airing at the traditional tea time slot

I am puzzled that someone has been taken off air from a station which was supposed to be about freedom of speech wasn't it? He didn't do anything or offensive or illegal?

THIS IS CENSORSHIP, DENYING HIM HIS FREEDOM OF SPEE...oh, wait, it's different when the right wing do it, isn't it!

That's the problem with these free speech warriors - they always find "speech" by other people that they dislike

I'm not quite sure what they can do - Ofcom's demands for impartiality means that they'll have to have some guests/presenters that a lot of the viewers don't like just to satisfy Ofcom so those looking for more partisan programming are inevitably going to be alienated at some point. A bit like TalkRadio who recently hired Trisha Goddard to presumably make the station look more balanced even though her show is not popular with their viewers at all. Bit of a catch 22 situation really.

That's why I thought they'd employ a "token liberal" (to allow them to claim "balance")

Look at how other programmes like to give us someone from the Institute Of Economic Affairs/ Taxpayers Alliance and some rent-a-gob from Novara to tick the boxes and claim that it's impartial - whilst the 80-90% of people with more moderate views don't get represented (but, hey, attention seeking provocateurs are seen as better television than some consensual discussion). Look at how the likes of George Galloway have taken the Murdoch shilling in the past, because he can be seen to represent "the left" and therefore allow a lot of right wing voices on the same station as 'balance"

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Look at how the likes of George Galloway have taken the Murdoch shilling in the past, because he can be seen to represent "the left" and therefore allow a lot of right wing voices on the same station as 'balance"
I believe there's a good case for reclassifying Galloway as a representative of the right, nuanced though it may be, these days, and perhaps it was ever thus, with him just using the Labour Party as his vehicle to personal prominence. He certainly seems to hate most left or leftish politicians while enjoying the company of Nigel Farage and various other rightwingers, in which category I'd include Andrew Neil.

thenorthern

Established Member
It seems that Nigel Farage will be presenting a show 4 nights a week now. It will be interesting to see how well he does as he was very successful at LBC although I kind of think we have reached peak Farage now.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It seems that Nigel Farage will be presenting a show 4 nights a week now. It will be interesting to see how well he does as he was very successful at LBC although I kind of think we have reached peak Farage now.
Yes. With the departure yesterday of one of the executives, that was in favour of more local style reporting, and the fact that one of the most successful shows seems to be Dan Wootton, it perhaps is no surprise to hear of changes to the programming.

Typhoon

Established Member
Will he do for GBNews what Roland Rat did for tv-am? Yeahhh!

Edit: Has he given up trying to interest us in all sorts of financial investments (cryto currencies, gold, I can't remember whether fine wines was on the list)?

Last edited:

Scotrail12

Yes. With the departure yesterday of one of the executives, that was in favour of more local style reporting, and the fact that one of the most successful shows seems to be Dan Wootton, it perhaps is no surprise to hear of changes to the programming.
I think that Wootton is successful there as he's basically a Piers-lite and has a similar appeal as a presenter. They probably need someone who is a bit controversial/loose cannon type to get attention. Love or loathe Piers, his approach did get GMB the viewers because he was entertaining and got people talking with some of the things he said.

class ep-09

Very successful at LBC ???
Apart of few cranks , his audience was abysmal.

I suppose he can help fishermen by being their representative on the media …

I also wonder how his £10k bet for Trump’s reelection had panned out …

Personally , I rather listen to my teenage son for financial / political advice that him.