• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is to be another Zoom presentation of the Reunification Project on the 28th June, as the previous presentation was so successful. Details on GCR website.
I’ll try and have a look at that Phil.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
No change on the canal bridge today, but the plan is that it will be finished by the end of June....

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There was a posting elsewhere on this forum that the GCR are hoping to operate a service at the end of next month. Fingers crossed.

Flying Phil

Established Member
From GCR Website:-

Provisional date for first passenger services: Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th July 2020.

Work is well-advanced towards a projected first date for running passenger trains of 25th July subject, of course, to rules in place from the government at that time. Intensive preparation has gone into a recovery plan which will be submitted to the Office of Rail and Road this coming week for their approval; needless to say there a hundreds of considerations on and off-train that must be taken into account to ensure that we operate safely in line with government guidelines and “the new normal”. A number of test trains will run between now and the scheduled opening date to ensure that everything is ready and that all safety critical competencies are updated.

More details will be published as details are confirmed.

On Moderation

Provisional date for first passenger services: Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th July 2020.

Work is well-advanced towards a projected first date for running passenger trains of 25th July subject, of course, to rules in place from the government at that time. Intensive preparation has gone into a recovery plan which will be submitted to the Office of Rail and Road this coming week for their approval; needless to say there a hundreds of considerations on and off-train that must be taken into account to ensure that we operate safely in line with government guidelines and “the new normal”. A number of test trains will run between now and the scheduled opening date to ensure that everything is ready and that all safety critical competencies are updated.

At first sight, that reads like it's the opening of the connection to the GCRN.

Flying Phil

Established Member
At first sight, that reads like it's the opening of the connection to the GCRN.
......If only! That is still a bridge and embankment etc. away......but if we keep donating it will happen sooner rather than later. The fundraising for the "Factory Flyover" is going well despite Covid.

DJ_K666

I'm glad to hear that the canal bridge is coming on though. Are they doing it one structure at a time? ALmost like first the canal bridge, then the embankment, then the flyover?

Flying Phil

Established Member
I'm glad to hear that the canal bridge is coming on though. Are they doing it one structure at a time? ALmost like first the canal bridge, then the embankment, then the flyover?
They are doing the "Factory Flyover" next, it is in two parts, the arches and deck across the Precispark car park, then the deck and arches across the road to the recycling depot. However they want to do both at the same time as that will be more economic overall. The embankment will be the last major structure to be built.

Scrotnig

I'm delighted they are reopening.

Sadly I fear I can predict what's going to happen and (with enormous regret since this is my 'local' railway), if it involves wearing masks and covering historic carriages with yellow and black nuclear hazard tape, I won't be going near. :(

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
When the two sections of the line are at last connected, are there plans to have a high level station, halt, platform near to Loughborough MML station to allow connections, or would you still need to walk to the the current GCR Loughborough Station?

Flying Phil

Established Member
When the two sections of the line are at last connected, are there plans to have a high level station, halt, platform near to Loughborough MML station to allow connections, or would you still need to walk to the the current GCR Loughborough Station?
Although, in the past, there was such a proposal and some sketches were drawn, I have seen nothing like that in the project now. I think the numbers coming via the MML station are quite small and wouldn't justify the cost and added complexity.

On Moderation
Perhaps such a halt would encourage more visitors to arrive via the Midland station - chicken and egg?
The problem in part is the cost - you’d need step free access to the platform and that wouldn’t come cheap given the location.

Flying Phil

Established Member
In the latest update, they say that over £170,000 has been raised for the "Factory Flyover"...probably closer to £200,000 now.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The Zoom presentation on the "Gap Project" went well and the participants made a significant donation to the fund. Progress is being maintained, even in these difficult times.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The Canal bridge is still without it's Lattice girders today.....But they are due to be put in tomorrow mid-day (ish)!

Flying Phil

Established Member
There was a Large crane at the canal today. It lifted the cantilever beam away. It lifted 4 half sections of the two lattice girders. They were bolted together. It lifted one 40' long lattice girder everso nearly in place....but there was a very tiny clearance problem trying to get the end under the capstone......It does go down further than the picture - but not quite enough it seems. It will be done tomorrow I'm sure.DSC00096.JPGDSC00098.JPG

Flying Phil

Established Member
A quick visit today showed no crane! But also no Lattice girders in place....And no capstones.
So I suspect the capstones were removed but a combination of Canal trust approval to temporarily close the canal whilst the girder lift takes place and the probability that the crane was booked elsewhere has run them out of time. Another day's crane hire before the job is done......

Flying Phil

Established Member
The crane returned and both lattice girders are in place. They were just tightening the last bolts so the crane can be released.
The Canal Bridge looks very good!DSC00103.JPG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That looks superb. What a great job.

Malcmal

Out of curiosity - now attention is turning to the missing embankment can someone tell me in brief layman's terms how such a thing is built from scratch these days. I assume it's more technical than making a big heap of soil and then laying track on top of it. One reason it interests me is it would seem like the kind of project that could be slowly chipped away at over time depending on bodies and cash.

Flying Phil

Established Member
That is a good question Malcmal and you are quite correct in thinking it is a lot more complex than "Just tipping a long pile of soil". I think there may well be some different solutions along its length as it has to be higher than before (to get the large lorries to the recycling depot). it is also a bit to the East (to clear the MML signal. It is also alongside the brook, which needs access, so the embankment will need steep sides, so special techniques in all probability.
Mind you, several on here, have said they quite fancy turning up with a spade and wheelbarrow to start the process! :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@Flying Phil - The offer still stands and I’ve got free accommodation nearby as well...
@Malcmal is bringing his wheelbarrow and I’m bringing my shovel. ;)

Roast Veg

Established Member
Count me in too. I would imagine that the best way to keep an embankment up is likely to be with layered material, not unlike those earthen steps surrounded by wooden frames you find along public footpaths.

Flying Phil

Established Member
In the last two issues of the GC "Main Line" magazine there have been articles about the East Midlands Railway Trust (EMRT) which now is the charity supporting the Gap project, but from the GCR(N) perspective. They have a new website which features their plans in some detail.
What is an interesting possibility- and to my mind a very positive step, would be for the EMRT to get that Southern point in from the chord line onto the embankment. Then put back that small embankment section to the MML bridge, lay, what 100m of track, onto and over the bridge. That would keep the momentum of the project going whilst the large cost of the "Factory Flyover" is being raised. It would give fantastic photo opportunities of steam engines above the MML and so keep generating publicity to stimulate fundraising and really show that the EMRT can play a big part in the reunification. I'm sure the costs for this are not too great, provided that the extra height of the embankment and position a few metres closer to the brook, are not major constraints/problems.
Then of course they could continue with that A6o bridge refurb and longer second track loop line as per their plan.