• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Thanks, but bo.

Thanks - but neither of these is correct; your previous two correct answers were London St Pancras and Bristol Temple Meads.

Correct, well done!

No, sorry.

So, that's it .... Tom Maddox got four correct answers out of nine, so he inherits the powers under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. Well done!

Thanks! I remember that particular episode well.

As I’m currently cooking my dinner - which city in the world has the most Michelin stars?

For bonus points - which other 4 cities make up the top 5?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
I read an article about this while waiting for a hospital appointment a couple of years ago, but unfortunately I can’t remember much of the detail

I think Tokyo is top, probably followed by New York and Paris. For the rest of the top five, I’ll guess Berlin and Los Angeles

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I read an article about this while waiting for a hospital appointment a couple of years ago, but unfortunately I can’t remember much of the detail

I think Tokyo is top, probably followed by New York and Paris. For the rest of the top five, I’ll guess Berlin and Los Angeles

Tokyo is indeed top.

New York (5) and Paris (2) are also correct.

Berlin and LA are incorrect so 3rd and 4th places still to get.

A Challenge

Established Member
I've just had a thought as to what US Navy thing it is, isn't it that place where they trained living underwater for a while, in a specially constructed underwater house-like thing in the Carribbean Sea?

SteveM70

Established Member
The most 'isolated' spot in the ocean, furthest from land in any direction?

Spot on.

According to Mr W Pedia, the details are “It lies in the South Pacific Ocean, 2,688 km (1,670 mi) from the nearest lands: Ducie Island (part of the Pitcairn Islands) to the north, Motu Nui (part of the Easter Islands) to the northeast, and Maher Island (near the larger Siple Island, off the coast of Marie Byrd Land, Antarctica) to the south”

The charts, compass and sextant are all yours

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Thanks very much

Several Bundeslaender in Germany have capitals that are not the biggest towns in the state, please name the states and the towns
(A couple of them are or have been without IC/ICE trains even)

Calthrop

Established Member
@Calthrop
Correct, Dresden is in charge politically, but Leipzig has more inhabitants, over 600 000, both are too exciting for me

That was an "educated guess". I'll proceed to uneducated ones -- Mecklenburg-Vorpommern: Stralsund? Brandenburg: Brandenburg? Sachsen-Anhalt: Halberstadt?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
That was an "educated guess". I'll proceed to uneducated ones -- Mecklenburg-Vorpommern: Stralsund? Brandenburg: Brandenburg? Sachsen-Anhalt: Halberstadt?
All wrong, sorry
Brandenburg town is not the capital of Brandenburg state. Neubrandenburg is not even in Brandenburg state
Potsdam, hiding near Berlin, is the biggest town in the state AND the capital

Calthrop

Established Member
No sorry, Muenchen is the biggest town AND the political capital
A clue: Rostock is the biggest town in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern but not the state capital
Not many other towns to choose from..

It would seem to be between Schwerin; and Neubrandenburg, already mentioned by you. I'll plump for Schwerin.

Calthrop

Established Member
Am totally guessing now: for Schleswig-Holstein, I'll venture Flensburg -- largely because it's a town I like the idea of.