• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Caboose Class

I remember reading somewhere that it is not clear which events in 1900 were olympic or not as they were held alongside a world's fair.
I know they had live pigeon shooting, but that is hardly a race.
Correct on both counts. There were indeed a number of live pigeon shooting events - but as you say, these weren't races, so I'm still looking for the correct answer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OhNoAPacer

My other guess was going to be greyhound racing.

In 1967 the amazing cyclist Beryl Burton set a new 12 hour time trial record of 277.25 miles, this was better than the man's record. In fact she caught and passed Mike McNamara who was on his way to setting the men's record.
What did she reputedly hand to him as she passed him?

SteveM70

Established Member
It was a sweet of some sort or other - she was supposed to have said to him words along the lines of "you look like you're struggling, this might help"

SteveM70

Established Member
Name the four teams to have played in the premier league for only a single season each

yoyothehobo

I will throw my hat in the ring then:

Which country has the longest domestic flight (distance and time) and between which two airports.

perryman

Given that France has various territories worldwide that are considered domestic, I'll go for something like Paris to Nouméa, 10,000 miles, 15 hours.

yoyothehobo

Given that France has various territories worldwide that are considered domestic, I'll go for something like Paris to Nouméa, 10,000 miles, 15 hours.
You are thinking down the right lines, but New Caledonia is an overseas Territory and not technically part of France. The same way that Gibraltar is not technically a part of the UK and neither are the Falklands.

Edit to avoid sending people down too wrong a line. It is France that has the longest domestic flight.

Further edit I am only including flights that are currently operating and for the purpose of defining domestic in this case, i am including only territories of France that have the same legal status as mainland France. (Excluding French Poynesia and New Caledonia)

Last edited:

Caboose Class

That would be my answer too. New Caledonia has 2 deputies in the French National Assembly and also 2 senators in the French Senate. Therefore it is France!

OhNoAPacer

Looking up on Wikipedia Reunion is a department New Caledonia an overseas territory, now what that means as regards being part if France I think would need a French constitution expert to tell us.

As there is some controversy I will throw this open floor

yoyothehobo

Looking up on Wikipedia Reunion is a department New Caledonia an overseas territory, now what that means as regards being part if France I think would need a French constitution expert to tell us.

As there is some controversy I will throw this open floor

As far as I am aware the following have no degree of self autonomy beyond that of any french department:
Reunion
French Guiana
Martinique
Guadeloupe
Mayotte

The following are a mish mash of laws and semi-autonomous regions with representations in the French government
French Polynesia
Wallis and Futuna
Saint Barthelemy
St Martin
Saint Pierre and Miquelon

New Caledonia is a whole different level of mish mash.

The point is moot as currently the longest domestic flight that takes place is Paris to Reunion. (There was a short period during the pandemic that a direct flight from Paris to French Polynesia ran and could have arguably been the number one slot, however as this doesnt currently run it was not included)