• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

Who? ...was renowned for doings in the overall artistic / creative sphere; most particularly, in a medium uniting two branches thereof -- in which he and an exponent of the other branch, engaged in collaboration, producing many much-loved and acclaimed works; albeit the two tended on a personal level to dislike each other, and often quarrelled.

Our guy here, also wrote and published a great quantity of doggerel verse: which I for one delight in, finding it wonderfully and randomly silly -- it seems that basically he just let his mind run riot, and scribbled down in verse, whatever nonsense came into his head -- I find it like a foreshadowing earlier in time, of Spike Milligan / the Goons / Monty Python. And -- he died in his seventies, in a way in which I suspect he would have most wished and hoped to: aiding a damsel in distress.

Calthrop

Established Member
Two minutes -- that's got to be a record ! Gilbert is indeed the man. As with his Mikado -- pray carry on to punish your fellow quiz fans, in a crime-appropriate way <D ...

Gloster

Established Member
It was the reference to his death at Grim’s Dyke that started off the train of thought.

Going back to my previous question: the harbour at Edinburgh of the Seven Seas is called Calshot Harbour. Why?

DaleCooper

Established Member
It was the reference to his death at Grim’s Dyke that started off the train of thought.

Going back to my previous question: the harbour at Edinburgh of the Seven Seas is called Calshot Harbour. Why?
Because it was used for harbouring calshots (probably an archaic term for something or other).

SteveM70

Established Member
It’s the village the natives of TdC were evacuated to after the volcano went off in the 1960s

Gloster

Established Member
Because it was used for harbouring calshots (probably an archaic term for something or other).
No, but I am now imagining what ‘ye anciente calshot’ might be.
Was it where someone named Cal was shot?
No.
It’s the village the natives of TdC were evacuated to after the volcano went off in the 1960s

Correct. When the volcano blew its top in 1961 the inhabitants were evacuated and rehoused at Calshot, where Southampton Water meets The Solent. Most returned in 1963.

To you to launch the next question.