• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Lizard1324

Why the heck would you want to put a new decker on the 50 ?? 93 makes sence but on a 50 and you might aswell get the gaffer tape ready!!
The only think I cant think of is in the past the deckers that come back from milehouse usually go on the 93 to 50 then eventually on the 36 then on the 34 for a few days them the 38 and get spread around other decker routes, so maybe tomorrow it will go on the 36

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Shock horror! The westbound stop in Market Jew Street, Penzance actually displays a TfC timetable. Unfortunately it's partly obscured, quite unreadable, displays both directions and there are no timetables for the three other routes serving this stop. Hopeless!20200922_140336.jpg

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Shock horror! The westbound stop in Market Jew Street, Penzance actually displays a TfC timetable. Unfortunately it's partly obscured, quite unreadable, displays both directions and there are no timetables for the three other routes serving this stop. Hopeless!View attachment 83812

Out of curiosity seeing two different styles of timetables, which is preferred, one with all stops but no indication to a tourist which stop you’re at, or the First version just showing departure times from that stop and no other locations times.

embers25

Established Member
I hate destination lists with a passion as they are pretty useless to anyone but locals who know how long their journey may take. The TfC one is the way to go but needs the current stop highlighting. I believe that use of only destination lists has cost First many passengers nationwide. Annoyingly Stagecoach are also now investigating switching to them. Ironically train operators are doing the reverse with screens now including full station lists with individual arrival times.

MotCO

Established Member
I agree - what is wrong with a full timetable (provided you can read the timing points!)? It is particularly helpful if you wanted to catch the bus further back on another occasion - the First example does not provide these details.

swifty

Established Member
Out of curiosity seeing two different styles of timetables, which is preferred, one with all stops but no indication to a tourist which stop you’re at, or the First version just showing departure times from that stop and no other locations times.

I prefer the First Kernow/Omnibus Solutions style as that’s what I’ve become accustomed to. For as long as I can remember Bristol City and South Gloucestershire council have provided departure times at stops and the approximate journey times allow you to quickly see how long the journey should take.

More importantly the Omnibus Solutions layout also tells you where you are and, more importantly, when the timetable was effective from.

I caught the bus for the first time yesterday since March. I quickly ruled out the timetable on display as out of date, having seen the effective date was January 2020 and knowing there’s been various changes since then. Not easily worked out from a TfC style timetable with ‘correct at time of print’.

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
I caught the bus for the first time yesterday since March. I quickly ruled out the timetable on display as out of date, having seen the effective date was January 2020 and knowing there’s been various changes since then. Not easily worked out from a TfC style timetable with ‘correct at time of print’.
I really dont understand how anybody could have though that the line ‘correct at time of print’. was of any use to anybody! It can only be beaten by having a timetable printed with a line 'Incorrect at time of print'!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I hate destination lists with a passion as they are pretty useless to anyone but locals who know how long their journey may take. The TfC one is the way to go but needs the current stop highlighting. I believe that use of only destination lists has cost First many passengers nationwide. Annoyingly Stagecoach are also now investigating switching to them. Ironically train operators are doing the reverse with screens now including full station lists with individual arrival times.
I can't see how this one can be any way useful. It has no indication of the times of buses at this stop.

Stop-specific timetables all the way for me!

I believe that use of only destination lists has cost First many passengers nationwide.
Could you point me to the evidence for this?

Ironically train operators are doing the reverse with screens now including full station lists with individual arrival times.
Real-time information screens are so far removed from printed timetables as to not be comparable. Apples and pears.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Shock horror! The westbound stop in Market Jew Street, Penzance actually displays a TfC timetable. Unfortunately it's partly obscured, quite unreadable, displays both directions and there are no timetables for the three other routes serving this stop. Hopeless!View attachment 83812
Biggest shock horror is that there are two moderately serviceable wooden seats adjacent to this stop incorporated into the wall of the Terrace, but most people sitting there have no intention of catching a bus e.g. it's the favoured spot for Poundland employees for a fag break. From my personal experience, I've only ever seen a scattering of locals boarding buses here, almost always an A17. If you see a surprisingly alert older guy with a stick sitting here observing things it'll probably be me. :lol: Do come and say hello! Yesterday afternoon for instance in the space of 20 minutes max a little after 3 p.m. three separate 16s or 16As, only one of which had a passenger, probably the most intensive service the 16 has ever had, but for why?It's a lovely route, and a remarkable survivor, but why for Pete's sake?The 5 seems to be home at present to a rather old Citybus single decker of some length - I should imagine this might cause some issues on its new section of route to the housing estate off Newlyn Coombe?

The other shock horror is that the westbound MJS stop, which has been outside Boots since Jesse Boot was a lad, has been moved by Cornwall Council in their infinite wisdom to a spot outside Domino's Pizza and the Co=Op Funeral Parlour: perhaps there's a message there for bus travellers!:)

M803UYA

I prefer the First Kernow/Omnibus Solutions style as that’s what I’ve become accustomed to. For as long as I can remember Bristol City and South Gloucestershire council have provided departure times at stops and the approximate journey times allow you to quickly see how long the journey should take.

More importantly the Omnibus Solutions layout also tells you where you are and, more importantly, when the timetable was effective from.

The Omnistop timetable is stop specific, so works best on corridors. A full timetable is a lot easier to maintain at stop level, as you can produce multiple copies. For infrequent services and rural services, it is a better option and requires less work in the office to produce the required number of displays, important if you haven't got enough people to do things in the office, or if they don't know what they're doing.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think I got my westbound and eastbound mixed up before. Having been and studied the situation today here is the info displayed on each:-

W/b displays a complete TfC timetable for the 8 in both directions, which still amounts to very little, no timetable for the much more important 5 and 16/A routes. FK stop specific times are provided for the A1,A17 and M6.

E/b displays a complete TfC timetable for the 8, and nothing else. FK stop specific times are provided for the A17 and M6, but not the A1. The latter is hardly necessary, so why the M6 for the one stop to the bus stn features heaven knows. An estimated journey time of six minutes is given for this onerous journey. On a good day, I reckon I could still walk that in the allotted time!

The stop flag position varied: w/b at top of pole, but e/b halfway up. Now I know the Cornish are not in general the tallest of people, but....

No attempt has been made to erect any sort of shelter on the w'b side to replace the one outside Boots, which of course was supplemented by the shop frontage there - no such frontage exists in the new location - I foresee the entrance to the almost defunct Wharfside Centre will be used by the fleeter of foot. In short, a shambles.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
[deleted]

I think I got my westbound and eastbound mixed up before. Having been and studied the situation today here is the info displayed on each:-

W/b displays a complete TfC timetable for the 8 in both directions, which still amounts to very little, no timetable for the much more important 5 and 16/A routes. FK stop specific times are provided for the A1,A17 and M6.

E/b displays a complete TfC timetable for the 8, and nothing else. FK stop specific times are provided for the A17 and M6, but not the A1. The latter is hardly necessary, so why the M6 for the one stop to the bus stn features heaven knows. An estimated journey time of six minutes is given for this onerous journey. On a good day, I reckon I could still walk that in the allotted time!

The stop flag position varied: w/b at top of pole, but e/b halfway up. Now I know the Cornish are not in general the tallest of people, but....

No attempt has been made to erect any sort of shelter on the w'b side to replace the one outside Boots, which of course was supplemented by the shop frontage there - no such frontage exists in the new location - I foresee the entrance to the almost defunct Wharfside Centre will be used by the fleeter of foot. In short, a shambles.
I can see the logic of relocating it. It's a wider pavement and the kerbline is straighter. However, that latter benefit has been nullified by having the loading bays before the stop. They should be after to allow buses to pull straight on.

Poundstretcher seems to be the shelter of choice.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
[deleted]

I can see the logic of relocating it. It's a wider pavement and the kerbline is straighter. However, that latter benefit has been nullified by having the loading bays before the stop. They should be after to allow buses to pull straight on.

Poundstretcher seems to be the shelter of choice.
I agree absolutely on your comments concerning the kerbline. The irony is, though, that most of the problems that resulted were caused by the constant procession of illegal eastbound traffic over the last decade and a half that was never addressed by the traffic authorities: the straightforward no entry signs (with the two exceptions listed) have seemingly now put paid to all that. Cornwall Council had claimed in emails in response to mine that it was 'illegal' to put up such signs!!

Goldfish62

Established Member

"Management team with 500 years of experience now driving the Cornish bus network

A remarkably experienced team with more than 500 years of knowledge between them has been assembled to steer the new Go Cornwall Bus services.

The management team of Go Cornwall Bus is responsible for delivering services across Cornwall, running buses the length and breadth of the county.

This year Cornwall Council awarded an eight-year contract to Go Cornwall Bus, to operate the local bus network across the county including many community routes that would otherwise not be commercially viable.

That equates to nearly half of all bus journeys made in Cornwall – a huge undertaking.

Such an epic task needs a team to match and a network of highly experienced managers are now in post across the county with a main base in Truro.

Go Cornwall Bus is part of Go South West – which includes Plymouth Citybus and is part of the wider Go Ahead Group, meaning Cornish buses now have unprecedented support and experience from even further afield.

Managing Director Richard Stevens said: “I’m delighted to introduce the team that will be responsible for making sure you enjoy the best possible bus journeys in Cornwall.

“Buses are such an important part of the fabric of life in Cornwall. I myself once worked as a bus driver in this beautiful county many years ago and I know first hand how vital they are.

“So, in order to provide the best service possible we need a highly experienced team to deliver it. That’s why we’ve placed such great importance on creating your local management team based in Truro bursting with knowledge and people you can trust with your buses.

“We calculated that between them they have a remarkable 509 years of experience in operating buses!”

The Go Cornwall management team are:

General Manager – Darren Hewlett

Operations Manager – Mel Williams

Service Delivery Coordinator – Caroline Spurr

Network Control Manager – Michael Gomes/ Sheldon O’Moore

Service Delivery Manager Newquay – Laurence Mayhew

Service Delivery Inspector Newquay – Kevin Foster/Thomas Bradshaw

Service Delivery Inspector Scorrier – Simon Hooper/Craig Shipley

Inspector in Charge Helston – Daniel Glass/ Bobby Robinson

Service Delivery Manager Liskeard – Andy Stevens

Service Delivery Inspector – Liskeard – Dave Clemens/Steve Hart

Inspector in Charge – Bodmin – James Grose

Relief Inspector in Charge Bodmin – Robbie Aitken

Inspector in Charge – Launceston and Bude – Louise Stephens

Service Quality Manager – Paul Pollard/ Chris Mitchell

Customer Experience Manager – James Church

The team place a great amount of importance of the wellbeing of their people, so you can be confident your drivers, engineers and all the teams associated with Go Cornwall Bus are being given the best possible support.

Plymouth Citybus was last year awarded Investors in People Platinum Accreditation – a rare accolade only handed to organisers who treat their teams with the very highest standards. Those same values are very much embedded in the new management team and across Go Cornwall Bus and Go South West.

If you would like to contact a member of the management team, you can do so via the Contact pages.

ENDS"

MotCO

Established Member

"Management team with 500 years of experience now driving the Cornish bus network

A remarkably experienced team with more than 500 years of knowledge between them has been assembled to steer the new Go Cornwall Bus services.

The management team of Go Cornwall Bus is responsible for delivering services across Cornwall, running buses the length and breadth of the county.

This year Cornwall Council awarded an eight-year contract to Go Cornwall Bus, to operate the local bus network across the county including many community routes that would otherwise not be commercially viable.

That equates to nearly half of all bus journeys made in Cornwall – a huge undertaking.

Such an epic task needs a team to match and a network of highly experienced managers are now in post across the county with a main base in Truro.

Go Cornwall Bus is part of Go South West – which includes Plymouth Citybus and is part of the wider Go Ahead Group, meaning Cornish buses now have unprecedented support and experience from even further afield.

Managing Director Richard Stevens said: “I’m delighted to introduce the team that will be responsible for making sure you enjoy the best possible bus journeys in Cornwall.

“Buses are such an important part of the fabric of life in Cornwall. I myself once worked as a bus driver in this beautiful county many years ago and I know first hand how vital they are.

“So, in order to provide the best service possible we need a highly experienced team to deliver it. That’s why we’ve placed such great importance on creating your local management team based in Truro bursting with knowledge and people you can trust with your buses.

“We calculated that between them they have a remarkable 509 years of experience in operating buses!”

The Go Cornwall management team are:

General Manager – Darren Hewlett

Operations Manager – Mel Williams

Service Delivery Coordinator – Caroline Spurr

Network Control Manager – Michael Gomes/ Sheldon O’Moore

Service Delivery Manager Newquay – Laurence Mayhew

Service Delivery Inspector Newquay – Kevin Foster/Thomas Bradshaw

Service Delivery Inspector Scorrier – Simon Hooper/Craig Shipley

Inspector in Charge Helston – Daniel Glass/ Bobby Robinson

Service Delivery Manager Liskeard – Andy Stevens

Service Delivery Inspector – Liskeard – Dave Clemens/Steve Hart

Inspector in Charge – Bodmin – James Grose

Relief Inspector in Charge Bodmin – Robbie Aitken

Inspector in Charge – Launceston and Bude – Louise Stephens

Service Quality Manager – Paul Pollard/ Chris Mitchell

Customer Experience Manager – James Church

The team place a great amount of importance of the wellbeing of their people, so you can be confident your drivers, engineers and all the teams associated with Go Cornwall Bus are being given the best possible support.

Plymouth Citybus was last year awarded Investors in People Platinum Accreditation – a rare accolade only handed to organisers who treat their teams with the very highest standards. Those same values are very much embedded in the new management team and across Go Cornwall Bus and Go South West.

If you would like to contact a member of the management team, you can do so via the Contact pages.

ENDS"

And the purpose of this press release is ........?

carlberry

Established Member
And the purpose of this press release is ........?
Somebody was bored! It's very vague as to what they mean by 'experience' as it averages out at 25 years each whereas (with all due respect to any on the board) a 'Relief Inspector in Charge' isn't likely to have many years of running buses, however they might have many years of working on them. Plus all these people can do is deliver whatever Cornwall CC tell them to do and, I suspect, the knowledge level at the CC isn't as good. I'm assuming that engineering is refereed to as 'Service Delivery' above as, otherwise, there arnt many people making sure that the 'customer experience' includes the wheels being attached!

MotCO

Established Member
And presumably they can issue the press release now they have fully recruited all the drivers and other staff required. .........They have, haven't they? :lol: :lol:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Plus all these people can do is deliver whatever Cornwall CC tell them to do and, I suspect, the knowledge level at the CC isn't as good

The nub of the issue. They might be able to influence the execution of running vehicles and certainly there are issues with driver recruitment or accident damage. However, the issues of the low fares pilot, the ridiculous implementation timeline, non-interavailability of tickets between operators of commercial vs. supported routes, spurious routes and enhancements.... the operator can't influence those.

richw

Veteran Member
Somebody was bored! It's very vague as to what they mean by 'experience' as it averages out at 25 years each whereas (with all due respect to any on the board) a 'Relief Inspector in Charge' isn't likely to have many years of running buses, however they might have many years of working on them. Plus all these people can do is deliver whatever Cornwall CC tell them to do and, I suspect, the knowledge level at the CC isn't as good. I'm assuming that engineering is refereed to as 'Service Delivery' above as, otherwise, there arnt many people making sure that the 'customer experience' includes the wheels being attached!

At least two on that list are under 25.
Talking to TFC drivers most of them are “yes” men who don’t question instruction from seniority. Those with more experience across the industry but are known to challenge Or question senior management instructions or ideas were overlooked.

jammy36

Sorry if covered already but is there a Bude depot or outstation?

I think I'd read somewhere they were using the Cormac site at Tiscott Wood - at the old landfill site next to the A39 near Ivyleaf / Bush (between Bude and Kilk). Not listed on DVLA, but that might just mean the details haven't been uploaded yet.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I think I'd read somewhere they were using the Cormac site at Tiscott Wood - at the old landfill site next to the A39 near Ivyleaf / Bush (between Bude and Kilk). Not listed on DVLA, but that might just mean the details haven't been uploaded yet.
Thanks for that.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

It IS on the DVSA viz
CORMAC, TISCOTT WOOD DEPOT, BUSH, BUDE, EX23 9LE, GB 6vehs

CornwallBus

To be fair some of the guys listed i've worked with and have quite a lot of respect for! Its just a mountain to climb to get things this big sorted promptly and properly

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I nearly spat my breakfast out when I read that. :D
I guess when I worked for London Transport, they could have wheeled out a figure of tens of thousands years of experience 'in house' at the levels quoted and above. It's all virtually meaningless bullocks, of course.

richw

Veteran Member
To be fair some of the guys listed i've worked with and have quite a lot of respect for! Its just a mountain to climb to get things this big sorted promptly and properly
I guess when I worked for London Transport, they could have wheeled out a figure of tens of thousands years of experience 'in house' at the levels quoted and above. It's all virtually meaningless bullocks, of course.

It also depends on what resources they’re given from above to do their job.
Even the best can’t magic up more drivers than exist in the area.

MB162435

Established Member
Reading the description of one of the photos of the new 70 Plate E400 MMCs on Flickr, all the 70 plate buses unfortunately have dealer stock interiors as well to give a uniform fleet

Which for me is a real shame, not only does it give a less quality traveling experience but the management have missed a significant opportunity to sell the company to skeptics, the high spec interiors of Kernow's MMCs and SRs have done wonders to the company's reputation, so would of certainly improved TfCs if they followed their example

Hopefully they will realise their error and retro fit them one day