• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Goldfish62

Established Member
You ought to read the letter before commenting! There have been to changes to the fares, but the cancellation by FGW of the 08.36 train from Pz to St Ives meant she was no longer able to use her Devon and Cornwall Railcard to get to work on time, having to take an earlier train with wait at St Erth at full peak fare. She is extremely uncomplimentary about the cleanliness of the trains, the lack of sanitisers anywhere and the (to me, unforgivable) lack of WCs at St Erth Station, but that's not for discussion here!
The first A1 to Penzance is run by TfC so of course she can't buy a return as it won't be accepted by FK. That and not being able to use her railcard must be a significant additional expense over the week.

On other stuff:

The T1 timetable has been updated on the TfC website.

In a rare positive development the website now includes a link to the FK timetable booklet. Just need a network map next...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
It has been reported elsewhere that the new Transport for Cornwall Enviro 400’s we’re out on services 70/70A but they are struggling to get on and off the Torpoint Ferry so have been taken off the route!

Lizard1324

It has been reported elsewhere that the new Transport for Cornwall Enviro 400’s we’re out on services 70/70A but they are struggling to get on and off the Torpoint Ferry so have been taken off the route!
Is there a reason for struggling are they wider of longer?

83G/84D

Established Member
Is there a reason for struggling are they wider of longer?

It is only what I heard but they are grounding (bottom of bus scraping the ground). Back in the days of Western National, buses were modified to allow for this.

Granted the ferries then were different than the one's now in use but IF this is the case don't you think someone would have thought of this and arranged a test run prior to putting them on the route? Having said all that I wonder if there may be something different compared to the earlier models as AFAIK they manage okay.

MotCO

Established Member
It is only what I heard but they are grounding (bottom of bus scraping the ground). Back in the days of Western National, buses were modified to allow for this.

Granted the ferries then were different than the one's now in use but IF this is the case don't you think someone would have thought of this and arranged a test run prior to putting them on the route? Having said all that I wonder if there may be something different compared to the earlier models as AFAIK they manage okay.
What currently operates on 70/70a? If E400s, then why do the new ones ground? As I understand it E400 MMC's have the same underpinnings as a 'classic' E400.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You ought to supply it in line with forum rules When referencing extends sources rather than leaving us guessing the content.

Weren't VRs kept to almost the last on the Torpoint Ferry routes for this very reason?

richw

Veteran Member
What currently operates on 70/70a? If E400s, then why do the new ones ground? As I understand it E400 MMC's have the same underpinnings as a 'classic' E400.
Apparently it was the exhaust that caught. It made me wonder if they have ferry lifts or are poverty spec like the dealer stock E200MMC which don’t have such features.

83G/84D

Established Member

Exactly my question, maybe as richw has stated in his response it’s the specifications of the bus?

Lizard1324

Apparently it was the exhaust that caught. It made me wonder if they have ferry lifts or are poverty spec like the dealer stock E200MMC which don’t have such features.
Exactly my question, maybe as richw has stated in his response it’s the specifications of the bus?
Here is a photo of the rear of the new e400mmc dont know what I'm looking at in terms of the rear
Screenshot_20200919-203147_Facebook.jpg

83G/84D

Established Member
I suspect it's an issue with the overhang behind the rear wheel and / or the exhaust and where / how it runs from the rear of the bus.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I suspect it's an issue with the overhang behind the rear wheel and / or the exhaust and where / how it runs from the rear of the bus.
In terms of the rear overhang it is greater on Euro VI than for the equivalent Euro V E400. Abellio London had at least one very early Euro VI original design E400 and the additional rear overhang was pronounced.

83G/84D

Established Member
In terms of the rear overhang it is greater on Euro VI than for the equivalent Euro V E400. Abellio London had at least one very early Euro VI original design E400 and the additional rear overhang was pronounced.

Interesting, thanks.

richw

Veteran Member
Even with ferry lift the euro V classic E400 only had millimetres to spare on certain tides, so in this case I don’t think a euro VI is going to be Torpoint ferry compatible Even with ferry lift

embers25

Established Member
Even with ferry lift the euro V classic E400 only had millimetres to spare on certain tides, so in this case I don’t think a euro VI is going to be Torpoint ferry compatible Even with ferry lift
Agreed but surely they should have figured this out before now...oh wait its TfC!

richw

Veteran Member
Agreed but surely they should have figured this out before now...oh wait its TfC!
I figured it out in seconds as soon as Goldfish mentioned the additional overhang, having seen how tight the old ones are. Surely they could have even managed that

embers25

Established Member
Is there a reason why all the TfC bus stop flags are erected 2/3 of the way up the pole and not at the top like normal? Did they not have the right size ladder?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is there a reason why all the TfC bus stop flags are erected 2/3 of the way up the pole and not at the top like normal? Did they not have the right size ladder?
:) I'll get into trouble if I voice my initial satirical response so I'll defer to others here.

richw

Veteran Member
I seen the man doing one at Chiverton... he didn’t have a ladder. He was pushing it up with his finger tips

RPI

Established Member
You ought to read the letter before commenting! There have been to changes to the fares, but the cancellation by FGW of the 08.36 train from Pz to St Ives meant she was no longer able to use her Devon and Cornwall Railcard to get to work on time, having to take an earlier train with wait at St Erth at full peak fare. She is extremely uncomplimentary about the cleanliness of the trains, the lack of sanitisers anywhere and the (to me, unforgivable) lack of WCs at St Erth Station, but that's not for discussion here!
St Erth does have toilets? Haven't been that far west for a while but most of GWRs stations have hand sanitisers at them now. Anyway, we digress

embers25

Established Member
I believe they're still open, they were refurbished relatively recently
Toilets and cafe were open last week. The lady who wrote into the Cornishman was on BBC Politics South West this morning at 10am as she had recorded her A1+A17 journey. Interestingly the A17 is 10p more than the peak train fare. She gets a return on the A1 so she must get the 1740 TfC A1 back. One question is that she gets the 0759 A1 which arrives at 0841 (on schooldays) and therefore would miss the old 0837 anyway. Therefore the whole Devon and Cornwall Railcard issues doesn't apply to her, except during school holidays. Also the expert they had to back her up was a lecturer at Falmouth who clearly knew nothing, despite her research, but she did claim that TfC have reduced travel prices for travellers. All in all, a very real problem for some but, as is often the case, the person complaining didn't appear to be showing the evidence to back up her story.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Toilets and cafe were open last week. The lady who wrote into the Cornishman was on BBC Politics South West this morning at 10am as she had recorded her A1+A17 journey. Interestingly the A17 is 10p more than the peak train fare. She gets a return on the A1 so she must get the 1740 TfC A1 back. One question is that she gets the 0759 A1 which arrives at 0841 (on schooldays) and therefore would miss the old 0837 anyway. Therefore the whole Devon and Cornwall Railcard issues doesn't apply to her, except during school holidays. Also the expert they had to back her up was a lecturer at Falmouth who clearly knew nothing, despite her research, but she did claim that TfC have reduced travel prices for travellers. All in all, a very real problem for some but, as is often the case, the person complaining didn't appear to be showing the evidence to back up her story.
At least the issue is getting some media attention, though, which is welcome, given the huge amounts of public money already ploughed in to TfC before the whole issue of the 'missing' money supposedly allocated to reducing fares is addressed. We must never expect journalists (with a few notable exceptions) to get their heads around public transport issues, especially bus ones, as they have no personal experience or interest other than in London and one or two other cities. By the way, theoretical availability of public toilets doesn't always mean they are available when you most need them: I speak as somebody who depends on the facilities being in use as a prerequisite to any attempt to continue independent living.

Yarp1

A chap on pcb/tfc entusiast page has said the new buses dont have ferry lift facility and were scraping the bumper. I am not sure if this is personal knowledge or guessing. If it is factual then it makes me wonder about the rest of the spec for the bus. When pcb/tfc advertised the new buses that were coming to Cornwall they were to be all singing and dancing with USB and wifi. Cant remember if climate controlled was mentioned or not. I would be interested to see if anything they promised about the new buses is true !! If it is then great. If not then ????

Goldfish62

Established Member
A chap on pcb/tfc entusiast page has said the new buses dont have ferry lift facility and were scraping the bumper. I am not sure if this is personal knowledge or guessing. If it is factual then it makes me wonder about the rest of the spec for the bus. When pcb/tfc advertised the new buses that were coming to Cornwall they were to be all singing and dancing with USB and wifi. Cant remember if climate controlled was mentioned or not. I would be interested to see if anything they promised about the new buses is true !! If it is then great. If not then ????
WiFi and USB charging are the most basic of features so surely these "high spec" buses will be better than that. I wouldn't expect next stop audio/visual as a minimum.

richw

Veteran Member
WiFi and USB charging are the most basic of features so surely these "high spec" buses will be better than that. I wouldn't expect next stop audio/visual as a minimum.
Isn’t Next stop audio and visual is a psvar requirement Since 2017 ish?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Isn’t Next stop audio and visual is a psvar requirement Since 2017 ish?
No, the Bus Services Act merely gave powers to introduce regulations in this respect.

Last I heard was that it will progressively become mandatory over the next few years.