• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Goldfish62

Established Member
New timetables out on Traveline, not much significant change apart from the 2 becoming hourly. Its gonna be interesting seeing 6 buses an hour going through Marazion!
The enhanced 2 started earlier this month.

And yes, I think it will be inevitable that buses will meet in Marazion!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
New timetables out on Traveline, not much significant change apart from the 2 becoming hourly. Its gonna be interesting seeing 6 buses an hour going through Marazion!
Back in the 1990s there were many more buses than that through Marazion, and a few years before that the Marazion and Long Rock bypasses didn't exist either! Traffic levels in the Summer then were very similar to now, excepting of course the home delivery vans.

charlie1284

Back in the 1990s there were many more buses than that through Marazion, and a few years before that the Marazion and Long Rock bypasses didn't exist either! Traffic levels in the Summer then were very similar to now, excepting of course the home delivery vans.
I find it hard to imagine all the bypass traffic going through Marazion, it must've been like a long car park at times!

83G/84D

Established Member
I find it hard to imagine all the bypass traffic going through Marazion, it must've been like a long car park at times!

There were few by-passes along the route of the A30 even as recently as 25 years ago and all the traffic went through the towns and villages. Recall going on holiday with my parents in the car in the 70's and 80's and it took half the day to get out of Devon & Cornwall.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There were few by-passes along the route of the A30 even as recently as 25 years ago and all the traffic went through the towns and villages. Recall going on holiday with my parents in the car in the 70's and 80's and it took half the day to get out of Devon & Cornwall.
One of the issues these days is that cars are larger and, seemingly, many drivers not capable of handling them!

Accelerator59

And now the new A30 between Chiverton and Carland had just recently commenced. It’ll be great when that’s done in a couple of years or so. Might make life easier for some bus routes too.

dgl

Established Member
I remember going through all the A30 roadworks when they were building the bypass through places like fenny bridges between Honiton and Exeter, used to delay us quite a bit when we used to go on holiday in South West Devon from my Grans in Crewkerne and we were glad when it was done, just need to do the rest of the A30/A303 now.

83G/84D

Established Member
And now the new A30 between Chiverton and Carland had just recently commenced. It’ll be great when that’s done in a couple of years or so. Might make life easier for some bus routes too.

Yes good point. Some services join and exit the A30 over this stretch. Hopefully when the work is completed the junctions will be easier to negotiate and safer.

MB162435

Established Member
The 89 service will be cut from the 17th May to run only between Fraddon and Bodmin, which is a real shame for such a handy route to connect with other services in Bodmin instead of the here, there and everywhere 27 service

richw

Veteran Member
The 89 service will be cut from the 17th May to run only between Fraddon and Bodmin, which is a real shame for such a handy route to connect with other services in Bodmin instead of the here, there and everywhere 27 service
Is there a reliable source for this? This discussion came up before and turned out the route is two separate route registrations split at fraddon

MB162435

Established Member
Is there a reliable source for this? This discussion came up before and turned out the route is two separate route registrations split at fraddon
I can't recall such a conversation but if that is true this time then happy days, but currently Traveline has it as terminating at Fraddon and starting at St Columb

richw

Veteran Member
I can't recall such a conversation but if that is true this time then happy days, but currently Traveline has it as terminating at Fraddon and starting at St Columb
It was around late august/ early September. Traveline did the same then too having it fraddon to Bodmin only

MB162435

Established Member
It was around late august/ early September. Traveline did the same then too having it fraddon to Bodmin only
Ah right thought it was strange for them to cut it now, is it too long to be registered in one or just Traveline splitting it?

LAIRA

Ah right thought it was strange for them to cut it now, is it too long to be registered in one or just Traveline splitting it?
Plymothian Transit quotes "certain journeys re - routed in Bodmin to restore lost link to Callywith College" from 17th May.

MB162435

Established Member
Plymothian Transit quotes "certain journeys re - routed in Bodmin to restore lost link to Callywith College" from 17th May.
Ah right, thought Callywith had a decent enough service as it was, presume it will be tweaked again at the end of the academic year in July

LAIRA

Ah right, thought Callywith had a decent enough service as it was, presume it will be tweaked again at the end of the academic year in July
The problem is the students do not always do a full day after the first two weeks, so like buses to take them home early or go in late.

MB162435

Established Member
Go Cornwall have launched a new app to replace the current app, which will no longer be supported from the 14th June.

I personally feel the new app is far better than the current one but will take a bit of getting use to. Plymouth and Cornwall tickets are both finally available on one app, this being one of the most beneficial improvements.

Last edited by a moderator:

SimH

New Newquay town service 99 on Traveline. Starts late July and runs six weeks. Transport for Cornwall. Daytime frequency 20min, evenings 30min. Serves Hendra Holiday Park and a new park and ride site. It is the first time that Newquay has had such a frequent service on one route since the late lamented Western National Pentire-St Columb Minor service was reduced to every 30mins in the 1970s (long since withdrawn entirely). Unusually the 99 includes a half-hourly service on Sunday evenings. I calculate the 99 will need three vehicles which I presume will come from Newquay depot.

New Newquay town service 99 on Traveline. Starts late July and runs six weeks. Transport for Cornwall. Daytime frequency 20min, evenings 30min. Serves Hendra Holiday Park and a new park and ride site. It is the first time that Newquay has had such a frequent service on one route since the late lamented Western National Pentire-St Columb Minor service was reduced to every 30mins in the 1970s (long since withdrawn entirely). Unusually the 99 includes a half-hourly service on Sunday evenings. I calculate the 99 will need three vehicles which I presume will come from Newquay depot.
Sorry ignore reference to Western National in the 70s. I have now recalled that evening buses between Newquay and Tregustick ran every 15min about 20 years ago at the height of the stag and hen era -- now thankfully behind us.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If you need to correct a post, please edit the original rather than adding a new one. Thanks.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Sorry ignore reference to Western National in the 70s. I have now recalled that evening buses between Newquay and Tregustick ran every 15min about 20 years ago at the height of the stag and hen era -- now thankfully behind us.
Was that Trevelgue rather than Tregustick? Seem to recall the 305 running....when I was on a stag do there 20 years ago (I kid you not)

83G/84D

Established Member
The white ‘Wolferstans’ branded Enviro 400 was working service T1 in West Cornwall this evening, a colourful change from the usual TfC ( Transport for Cornwall) red.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The white ‘Wolferstans’ branded Enviro 400 was working service T1 in West Cornwall this evening, a colourful change from the usual TfC ( Transport for Cornwall) red.
It's certainly doing a lot of running round West Cornwall, usually oos, but if I were a Wolferstans Solicitors of Plymouth partner I'd prefer it was advertising my wares to a more local populace!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I see on Traveline that from 6th September the Penzance town service is once again resurrected, this time as route 3, with the 16/16A terminating at the bus station rather than continuing through the town.

Also the A17 is renumbered 18 in line with the Kernow daytime service.

The A1 stays as is, including continuing to be routed through the town centre.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I see on Traveline that from 6th September the Penzance town service is once again resurrected, this time as route 3, with the 16/16A terminating at the bus station rather than continuing through the town.

Also the A17 is renumbered 18 in line with the Kernow daytime service.

The A1 stays as is, including continuing to be routed through the town centre.
A shame that the strange procession of eastbound 16/As down Market Jew Street around 15.15-15.30 will end: two almost always together, or within a minute of one another, both bound for St Ives, followed by a bus station turner a few minutes later. The A17 renumbering is a common sense acknowledgment of the situation, while I feel the decision on the A1 is too ( if I were a betting man I'd put a lot of money on the 1 number returning to the Land's End corridor full-time within the next three or four years.)

Andyh82

Established Member
I still think its a shame these trips (and those on The Tinner and the 24/27) were either not awarded on a de-minimis basis to First or still awarded to Go Cornwall Bus but them subcontracting them to First (in the same way they subcontracted routes to OTS etc).

Its probably the main annoyance with this new two operator network (that and the ticketing situation).

But yes in the meantime, they'd be better renumbering the A1 as the 1, as it makes slightly more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Looks like things could be getting interesting with commercial registrations by Go Ahead against First

"A new bus service between Falmouth and Truro is to launch from next month as part of a timetable upgrade to see extra buses on the roads.

Go Cornwall Bus is launching new timetables that come into effect from Sunday, September 5.

The company said this would mean new services and more reliable services.

In pole position is the new route F1. This new service between Falmouth and Truro runs every hour, providing a faster alternative than the current routes between the two towns.

Next up, the new 190 is a new service serving Callywith College, ensuring a more even spread throughout St Austell, alongside the current 188 and 189 routes.

Travelling between Bodmin and St Austell will also become easier, with a half-hourly service provided through either the 26 via Bugle or the 26A via Roche, and within Bodmin, the 54 and 54A will make it easier for passengers to choose the route around the town that suits them best.

Service 3 is a new standalone service for Penzance, which will cover the local supermarkets, and some journeys have been extended due to demand.

James Church, commercial and customer manager of Go Cornwall Bus, said: “We’re constantly looking at our timetables and adapting them to our passengers’ needs.

"Now Covid restrictions are reduced, it’s great seeing more people coming back onto the buses and to be able to provide even more choice for our passengers.”

The company said that the majority of any other timetable changes would be minor, to ensure buses run on time, accommodate schools and colleges and to address issues Go Cornwall Bus have been made aware of."

Let's see what First do as a response....

MotCO

Established Member
Are these routes utilising spare buses, e.g. between school journeys etc, if not I assume they will require more buses. Also, does this mean that Go-Ahead's battle to recruit staff is over?

richw

Veteran Member
Also, does this mean that Go-Ahead's battle to recruit staff is over?
They’ve a radio advert campaign on Pirate FM running at the moment to appeal to people to change careers and become a bus driver with them, with fully paid training being the key fact in the advert.