• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go South Coast

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OptareOlympus

I'm after a trip down to Poole tomorrow - what's the chance the 60 will still be open top?
Crane is in Swanage on Monday fitting the remaining 17xx roofs. The14xx and 18xx will still be open top tomorrow but not necessarily on Breezer 60/70 workings as they will now include schools. They are set to appear on several routes and workings until they are all re-roofed later in the week.

Dorsetbus

But will presumably free up other vehicles for the enhanced 13
At a guess the 13 fleet would be supported by ex uni deckers along with the 5 which is also getting some of the new 400mmc's.

Noticeable that Go-South Coasts combined groups 'decker fleet currently contains some pretty elderly examples, B7TLs original and ex London, a Trident, many Scanias and temp' loan vehicles from London & Cardiff.
Covering the Yellow Bus & City Reds operations has stretched the available fleet.
The new E400MMCs seem destined to replace single decks, would hope they can cascade E200MMCs to see off the Versas and Streetlites and the 2005 B7RLEs.
A mix of 28 e200 mmc from Swindon and morebus will have a short stint in Manchester. 18 of those will end up in the Bluestar fleet. The rest will be used to upgrade 1a 1b 1c and obviously allow for removal of older vehicles.

Also 7 Scanias from the isle of white will be freed up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surreyman

At a guess the 13 fleet would be supported by ex uni deckers along with the 5 which is also getting some of the new 400mmc's.

A mix of 28 e200 mmc from swindon and morebus will have a short stint in Manchester. 18 of those will end up in the bluestar fleet. The rest will be used to upgrade 1a 1b 1c and obviously allow for removal of older vehicles.

Also 7 scanias from the isle of white will be freeded up soon.

A mix of 28 e200 mmc from swindon and morebus will have a short stint in Manchester. 18 of those will end up in bluestar fleet. The rest will be used to upgrade 1a 1b 1c and obviously allow for removal of older vehicles.

Also 7 scanias from the isle of white will be freeded up soon.
Thanks for the info Dorsetbus.
I wonder what will happen when Oxford receives its Electric fleet?
Presumably the various Go Ahead operating companies can 'bid' for the redundant diesels?

PTR 444

Established Member
With the new fleet of E400MMCS going into service on the m1 and m2 routes, are we likely to see the buses on loan from Salisbury Reds, Southern Vectis etc going back to their home operators anytime soon?

Dorsetbus

With the new fleet of E400MMCS going into service on the m1 and m2 routes, are we likely to see the buses on loan from Salisbury Reds, Southern Vectis etc going back to their home operators anytime soon?
Fleet standardisation should accour after the 49 400MMCs arrive

Also got my figures wrong 10 e200 MMCs will be off to bluestar with 18 returning to Morebus.

As for Oxford its anyones guess. But my guess would be on Swindon getting some good hand me downs.

Gc1986

Fleet standardisation should accour after the 49 400mmc's arrive

Also got my figures wrong 10 e200 mmcs will be off to bluestar with 18 returning to morebus.

As for oxford its anyones guess. But my guess would be on swindon getting some good hand me downs.
Will be interesting to see what approach Swindon Bus Company go after the Double Deckers on the 5 route. Does anyone have any feedback on how this is going?
Upgraded Double Deckers are needed for the school runs in near future and to fill in rush hour additional buses.
Dependant on what Swindon Bus Company decide to do with the 57,08 and 59 plate Scanias could potentially be a big turnover of buses in next couple of years.

Surreyman

Go South Coast currently have 25 Trident/East Lancs Olympus dual door from London General in service, as per 'bustimes' today - 6 at swindon, 4 at Salisbury, 6 at Bluestar & 7 at Southern Vectis. All are Euro 6 compliant/modified.
Variously described as on loan (isle of Wight festival, seasonal - waiting for the open tops to have their roofs fitted in the next couple of weeks, extra routes/contracts).
Also described in some sources as 'disposed' - so are they temp' loans, permanent transfers or maybe country wide 'floating spares' ?
It would be nice to see the whole lot painted blue for Bluestar and replace the older Volvo/Scania deckers.

Dorsetbus

Go South Coast currently have 25 Trident/East Lancs Olympus dual door from London General in service, as per 'bustimes' today - 6 at swindon, 4 at Salisbury, 6 at Bluestar & 7 at Southern Vectis. All are Euro 6 compliant/modified.
Variously described as on loan (isle of Wight festival, seasonal - waiting for the open tops to have their roofs fitted in the next couple of weeks, extra routes/contracts).
Also described in some sources as 'disposed' - so are they temp' loans, permanent transfers or maybe country wide 'floating spares' ?
It would be nice to see the whole lot painted blue for Bluestar and replace the older Volvo/Scania deckers.
Temporary on loan. Not sure how long. But with added work that blue star and morebus have and slow to arrive new vehicles I Wouldn't expect the to disappear quickly.

Towers

Established Member
Morebus e200 MMC HF18 CKG noted in Southampton this evening in full More livery.

nw1

Established Member

Saw three "non-native" liveries simultaneously in Southampton city centre today: the above More 260 working presumably a 20 (it was at the 20 stand), one of the London double deckers on the 19 (and displaying traditional roller blinds in London font!) and Southern Vectis-liveried 1131 double decker on the 1203 round trip on the 13, which then went out of service (which I believe is booked).

I don't think the Southern Vectis vehicle working for Bluestar has been mentioned on here yet?

The 19 also seems to be more of a mixed bag than earlier in the year: formerly it was the preserve of the ex-North East vehicles, now it seems to have more of an assortment of double deckers.

Last edited:

Towers

Established Member
As a matter of curiosity, what’s the logic in having Vectis liveried vehicles running around Southampton and then London liveried stock on the Island? Would it not make sense to dispatch the Vectis stuff back over the water instead?!

nw1

Established Member
A few other changes I've noticed since earlier in the summer on Bluestar, having been out of the area for a couple of months.

The 1 seems to have reverted to being mostly self-contained, with its own branded E400s operating almost all journeys: in the past 12 months or so (maybe longer) there were one or two diagrams where the 1 and 2 swapped over. The 1710 out of Southampton was one which featured an older bus regularly earlier in the year, and it had been working 2s most of the day. Presumably there was a driver hours reason for the former swap-around.

The 1755 out of Southampton is still the exception, regularly operated with an older bus - I think this comes off the short working from Asda which arrives around 1730, but need to check.

The 20 seems to be more of a random mix of vehicles: formerly purely E200s on Mon-Fri school term times, it now features other "import" single deckers and a couple (?) of the diagrams have gone over to double deckers, presumably those which include particularly busy journeys at some point in the day. It also had the "more" vehicle (260) three days this week, but not on the same diagram.
I believe that a sixth vehicle has been introduced to the route in the evening peak to allow the off-peak 15-min frequency to be maintained, presumably off a school or college service (haven't checked bustimes yet to find out).

The 19 also features additional vehicles in the evening peak, indeed (and this is a rarity these days) actually sees a frequency uplift eastbound for a time in the evening peak.

Not so good is the increased "traffic lag" in the evening peak on the 9, which loses 20 mins or so (00/30 to 20/50, IIRC). Looks like they could do with introducing an extra vehicle off a school or college working on this route, too.

Finally, Empress Road and Eastleigh seem to have given up on showing working numbers on the front of the buses. Totton still do, however.

Last edited:

Towers

Established Member
Southampton network seems an absolute shower today, owing to the football traffic. Certainly 1s & 2s have spent the day running around in convoy with enormous gaps in the service, I presume similar issues abound elsewhere.

It really does show the importance of proactive controllers and, crucially, a radio network to allow their decisions to be put into action. I was surprised to learn only a few weeks ago that Bluestar have no radios, and instead appear to be entirely reliant on drivers calling control on their mobiles - in that particular instance a bus had failed, and the driver was unable to get any response to his numerous calls. Busy urban bus networks really shouldn’t be run via drivers leaving voicemails! A very poor show indeed today on what was a busy Saturday for bus users, and with an event that is regular and really ought to have been sufficiently planned for. Resiliance seems sorely lacking!

fgwrich

Established Member
As a matter of curiosity, what’s the logic in having Vectis liveried vehicles running around Southampton and then London liveried stock on the Island? Would it not make sense to dispatch the Vectis stuff back over the water instead?!
I'm not sure how many Vectis vehicles are currently working in the Southampton area, but over the last week I've seen single deck Scania's, double deck Scania's and E400s all working Bluestar services. Most are still fully branded for the Island too.

Hophead

Established Member
There's also a rail strike, so additional passengers and, moreover, a lot more traffic.

nw1

Established Member
Southampton network seems an absolute shower today, owing to the football traffic. Certainly 1s & 2s have spent the day running around in convoy with enormous gaps in the service, I presume similar issues abound elsewhere.

I noticed that too. Also very busy, though the city centre was unusually busy (almost reminiscent of early summer or Christmas) even without the football.

I do wonder whether Bluestar could implement a contingency timetable on days when the football is on, as these delays are par for the course, particularly in the normal case where the football finishes around 4.30pm. (Strangely, it was on very early today and over by 3pm, not sure why).

Such a contingency timetable (thinking of the 1 and 2 in particular, due to length of the journey) would much more time allowed for the inbound journey at the start of the match, and outbound journey at the end - and would thus involve a reduction of frequency while the match is on as some diagrams may have to miss one round trip - but at least it would be a published timetable that could be stuck to.

I also wonder whether they could divert the 1 and 2 along Bedford Place and Banister Road on matchdays after the end of the match. The main bottleneck seems to be London Road, which can add almost 30 mins to the time. After that, bus lanes help a great deal.

Last edited:

Towers

Established Member
I'm not sure how many Vectis vehicles are currently working in the Southampton area, but over the last week I've seen single deck Scania's, double deck Scania's and E400s all working Bluestar services. Most are still fully branded for the Island too.
The Scanias certianly seem to have made their way back and forth across the Solent over the years! I’m pretty sure Vectis have/had some former Bluestar examples, and there are certainly some former Vetcis HW plated machines in the Bluestar fleet (already there prior to recent events!); presumably the current former Vectis stock helping in Southampton isn’t expected to return to the Island?

WibbleWobble

It really does show the importance of proactive controllers and, crucially, a radio network to allow their decisions to be put into action. I was surprised to learn only a few weeks ago that Bluestar have no radios, and instead appear to be entirely reliant on drivers calling control on their mobiles - in that particular instance a bus had failed, and the driver was unable to get any response to his numerous calls. Busy urban bus networks really shouldn’t be run via drivers leaving voicemails! A very poor show indeed today on what was a busy Saturday for bus users, and with an event that is regular and really ought to have been sufficiently planned for. Resiliance seems sorely lacking!
They use Ticketer messaging instead of radios.

Traffic generally is much higher this weekend due to a high number of cruise ships in port, on top of a home football fixture yesterday.

I also wonder whether they could divert the 1 and 2 along Bedford Place and Banister Road on matchdays after the end of the match. The main bottleneck seems to be London Road, which can add almost 30 mins to the time. After that, bus lanes help a great deal.
That would need a number of trees to be cut back, and the council isn't known for being particularly proactive when it comes to buses! This is a council that quickly removed bus lanes overnight when the Tories took control, and when Labour won it back a year later, did nothing to reverse that.

Mwanesh

I dont see the need for radios for drivers. The ticket machines have messaging built in. Straight to the driver. Radios are a waste of money. Mobiles you have a record of when you called control.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I dont see the need for radios for drivers. The ticket machines have messaging built in. Straight to the driver. Radios are a waste of money. Mobiles you have a record of when you called control.
Ticketer messaging is useful for some things (control can send messages to drivers without calling as of course drivers can't answer their phone while driving) but on the down side, for drivers to explain a problem, typing a message back via Ticketer is painful. Radios and phone calls drivers can say what they want easier and can say it a lot quicker than then can type it meaning quicker resolutions. Radios as well, drivers can listen and respond while driving so even quicker results. It is expensive though. It's a system which is liked though as many areas still have and install radios. Liverpool and Manchester have radios for example and they use it for group calls for diversions, it's not used anywhere near as much as Ibus for example and you can't normally see any radio so you'll only know it exists if you hear it. It is somewhat common on Stagecoach Manchester to just endlessly hear 'Hyde Road Group Call'

Pros and cons to radio, Ticketer and mobile phones.

Towers

Established Member
Having had operational experience of a busy urban network where all vehicles were fitted with radios, communication was frequent, instant and effective. I wasn’t aware of a messaging feature on Ticketer, but I’d imagine it’s a rather poor substitute.

nw1

Established Member
To add to the vast variety of liveries appearing on Bluestar services, I saw a Salisbury Reds vehicle earlier today on the 2. (number 1543)

pm2304877

On Moderation
Why dont GSC put all of their Scania double decks into the 10xx/11xx series and all Volvo dds into the 19xx series? This would clear blocks of numbers for future use .

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Why dont GSC put all of their Scania double decks into the 10xx/11xx series and all Volvo dds into the 19xx series? This would clear blocks of numbers for future use .
Given that the 19** ones are now 22/23 years old, I doubt they’ll be around by the time that it’s an issue. Renumber the 1800s to join the other open tops in the 14** and that give 250 numbers for future deliveries

OptareOlympus

Given that the 19** ones are now 22/23 years old, I doubt they’ll be around by the time that it’s an issue. Renumber the 1800s to join the other open tops in the 14** and that give 250 numbers for future deliveries
The 14xx series denotes 'ferry compatible'. The 18xx, although convertible can't be used on the ferry. This was also why the Swanage depot Evosetis were in their own 17xx series. However, the new E400 MMC arrivals are also now numbered in the 17xx series despite not being ferry compatible.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The 14xx series denotes 'ferry compatible'. The 18xx, although convertible can't be used on the ferry. This was also why the Swanage depot Evosetis were in their own 17xx series. However, the new E400 MMC arrivals are also now numbered in the 17xx series despite not being ferry compatible.
Odd that they need a series for ferry compatible when W&D didn’t feel the need! Guess you could use the 13** of if desired