• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go South Coast

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Morebus has quietened down considerably regarding unusual workings, there are more borrowed buses on the Bluestar routes.
I note that all six New Forest Tour buses are based at Poole, while one of the ONE branded vehicles has moved to Lymington, and is a regular on the 120 and school 777, the 120 replaced cango C32/33 services at the end of August

buscoaster

The 14xx series denotes 'ferry compatible'. The 18xx, although convertible can't be used on the ferry. This was also why the Swanage depot Evosetis were in their own 17xx series. However, the new E400 MMC arrivals are also now numbered in the 17xx series despite not being ferry compatible.
What does it actually mean to be ferry compatible - how is the vehicle different?

OptareOlympus

What does it actually mean to be ferry compatible - how is the vehicle different?
The 14xx and 17xx fleets are both adapted to be able to board and leave the Sandbanks Ferry regardless of the tide conditions at the entrance to Poole Harbour.

The 14xx have steeper cutaways on the front and rear compared to other Olympuses/Visionaires and use larger tyres in addition to the ferry lift. MCV also raised the front and rear panels and Volvo made adjustments to the ferry lift and ride height on the B5TL Evoseti. They also have good plating underneath and it's this that grounds out on the ferry at times, not the body panels.

As things currently stand, the 17xx will be the last buses capable of operating across the ferry. Volvo no longer build the B5TL and neither the B8L or the BZL can be used. Tri axles are prohibited on the ferry and the BZL is overweight.

Titfield

Established Member
The 14xx and 17xx fleets are both adapted to be able to board and leave the Sandbanks Ferry regardless of the tide conditions at the entrance to Poole Harbour.

The 14xx have steeper cutaways on the front and rear compared to other Olympuses/Visionaires and use larger tyres in addition to the ferry lift. MCV also raised the front and rear panels and Volvo made adjustments to the ferry lift and ride height on the B5TL Evoseti. They also have good plating underneath and it's this that grounds out on the ferry at times, not the body panels.

As things currently stand, the 17xx will be the last buses capable of operating across the ferry. Volvo no longer build the B5TL and neither the B8L or the BZL can be used. Tri axles are prohibited on the ferry and the BZL is overweight.

They also have high-viz amber flashing lights to be used when overtaking the ferry queue.

OptareOlympus

They also have high-viz amber flashing lights to be used when overtaking the ferry queue.
They do, but permission to allow Bournemouth bound buses to overtake the queue at Shell Bay (sometimes saving up to 3 hours of queuing time on busy days) was withdrawn in 2021. 50s now have to join the back of the queue on Ferry Road and generally queue for around an hour to reach the toll booth on good weather days. Even once through the tolls, it can be another 40 mins to get across to Sandbanks. The ferry runs every 20 mins but crossings can be cut if it needs to wait either side for vessels entering or leaving Poole Harbour. On the worst nights in summer, there is times when, due to the congestion around Sandbanks, the ferry can only carry single digit loads as there is simply no road space on the Sandbanks side to unload vehicles onto. This obviously then increases the length of the queue on the Shell Bay side.

Although scheduled at around 70 mins, a summer evening 50 from Swanage to Bournemouth is routinely around 2 to 2.5 hours with some really bad nights recording journey times of over 4 hours. And that's for a route barely 10 miles long.

James H

It would be nice if Dorset and BCP councils put some pressure on the Bournemouth Swanage Motor Road and Ferry Company to reinstate the bus priority. Or is it a money issue between GSC and the ferry co?

BCP - Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole

Last edited by a moderator:

OptareOlympus

It would be nice if Dorset and BCP councils put some pressure on the Bournemouth Swanage Motor Road and Ferry Company to reinstate the bus priority.
Everything has been exhausted. Morebus offered to pay for yellow boxes along Ferry Road to let the buses jump in and out of but the ferry company vetoed that. They own Ferry Road all the way from the off ramp to the Knoll Beach car park turning. The councils are powerless to act on the Shell Bay side but BCP Council could improve traffic flow around Sandbanks but won't. Pay and display along the Sandbanks stretch pulls in close to £8 million a year for them. There is no bus priority or other measures happening anytime soon.

James H

Interesting. Obviously as a private road Dorset Council can't do anything on the Shell Bay side as highway authority, but the delays do raise wider transport and tourism issues, and in a sane world some improvement on the status quo should be possible.

Andyh82

Established Member
Not quite as bad as being described here, but when I used it in the summer, I had the situation where as the bus turned the corner at Sandbanks side, the gates on the ferry were just being closed, with the previous bus on board, so we had to sit there and wait for it to go and come back

What with that, and the slow queues for the toll at the other side we were half an hour late by Swanage

OptareOlympus

Not quite as bad as being described here, but when I used it in the summer, I had the situation where as the bus turned the corner at Sandbanks side, the gates on the ferry were just being closed, with the previous bus on board, so we had to sit there and wait for it to go and come back

What with that, and the slow queues for the toll at the other side we were half an hour late by Swanage
Fortunately, it is still possible to skip the queue on the Sandbanks side towards Swanage once onto the one way system - providing the yellow box at The Haven is clear of idiots queuing across it!

Titfield

Established Member
Interesting. Obviously as a private road Dorset Council can't do anything on the Shell Bay side as highway authority, but the delays do raise wider transport and tourism issues, and in a sane world some improvement on the status quo should be possible.
I think the Ferry Company is "paying back" all those objectors to the ferry company's applications for fare rises.

OptareOlympus

I think the Ferry Company is "paying back" all those objectors to the ferry company's applications for fare rises.
No it's pandering to the SUV drivers from Surrey who plague Purbeck at every opportunity and who complained to the ferry about plebs on buses getting priority over them and their obnoxious families.

Revilo

No it's pandering to the SUV drivers from Surrey who plague Purbeck at every opportunity and who complained to the ferry about plebs on buses getting priority over them and their obnoxious families.
I am surprised that the buses were ever allowed to travel for the length of what could be a very long queue, on the wrong side of the road. A pedestrian who was crossing the road would not be expecting a vehicle, especially a bus, to be coming from that direction. To me, it sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

OptareOlympus

I am surprised that the buses were ever allowed to travel for the length of what could be a very long queue, on the wrong side of the road. A pedestrian who was crossing the road would not be expecting a vehicle, especially a bus, to be coming from that direction. To me, it sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Hence the front LED strobe lights and audible presence warning devices that had to be used when carrying out a queue jump.

dgl

Established Member
If I were the council I wouldn't give the ferry company an option, I would tell them that if they want to be allowed to continue to run then having bus priority is a condition of it. The buses are easily more important than regular vehicles on the route and should be treated as such.
Naturally implementing it could be difficult but might be worth giving it a go.

OptareOlympus

If I were the council I wouldn't give the ferry company an option, I would tell them that if they want to be allowed to continue to run then having bus priority is a condition of it. The buses are easily more important than regular vehicles on the route and should be treated as such.
Naturally implementing it could be difficult but might be worth giving it a go.
The councils have no power or control over the ferry. Its a private company which exists through an Act of Parliament from over 100 years ago. All the infrastructure is owned by them.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The councils have no power or control over the ferry. Its a private company which exists through an Act of Parliament from over 100 years ago. All the infrastructure is owned by them.
Couldn't the council make it a condition at any future planning applications by the company? While that doesn't solve things this second, it may help in the future.

Revilo

If they ever want to make changes to their buildings though, they'll need planning permission. The toll huts will need planning permission etc etc.
Any planning condition would have to be relevant to the development being permitted. Legally, the Council couldn’t justify requiring a bus priority scheme just because of any changes to the buildings; the two are unrelated.

nw1

Established Member
Yesterday the unusual sight of a Unilink bus on the Bluestar 1 (vehicle 1203, I think it was operating the 'short' from Asda just before 1730 which generally sees quite a random selection of vehicles).

Is this a permanent transfer or are Bluestar short of vehicles and 'borrowing' excess Unilink vehicles?

Stephen1001

Yesterday the unusual sight of a Unilink bus on the Bluestar 1 (vehicle 1203, I think it was operating the 'short' from Asda just before 1730 which generally sees quite a random selection of vehicles).

Is this a permanent transfer or are Bluestar short of vehicles and 'borrowing' excess Unilink vehicles?
While extremely uncommon, it's not unheard of for Unilink branded buses to appear on Bluestar routes, as in this picture I took in 2017. (Linked image depicts a Unilink liveried Enviro400 passing Southampton Guildhall working Bluestar route 2.)

The reverse is also possible, of course. (Linked image depicts a Bluestar liveried Citaro near Bassett Green working Unilink route U2B.)

nw1

Established Member
While extremely uncommon, it's not unheard of for Unilink branded buses to appear on Bluestar routes, as in this picture I took in 2017. (Linked image depicts a Unilink liveried Enviro400 passing Southampton Guildhall working Bluestar route 2.)

The reverse is also possible, of course. (Linked image depicts a Bluestar liveried Citaro near Bassett Green working Unilink route U2B.)
Ah ok - thanks for htat.

Dorsetbus

Bluestar Bus Fleet Update

As part of our ongoing partnership to improve bus services in Southampton, Bluestar has ordered 24 British built new ADL Enviro 400 buses , that are due for delivery in March 2024 . To help improve the frequency of services in the meantime they have brought in buses from sister bus companies so that residents don’t have to wait to get the benefits.

So keep an eye out for red London buses, red and blue Go North East Buses (both of these will have a bluestar logo on them), plus buses from Bluestar’s sister companies Salisbury Reds, Swindon’s Bus Company, Southern Vectis, and Morebus that are currently helping out on Southampton’s network.

If the link doesn't work look up Southampton councils facebook page.

24 e400 mmc for bluestar in march.

Last edited by a moderator:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Quote to help the mods.
Bluestar Bus Fleet Update
As part of our ongoing partnership to improve bus services in Southampton, Bluestar has ordered 24 British built new ADL Enviro 400 buses , that are due for delivery in March 2024 . To help improve the frequency of services in the meantime they have brought in buses from sister bus companies so that residents don’t have to wait to get the benefits.
So keep an eye out for red London buses, red and blue Go North East Buses (both of these will have a bluestar logo on them), plus buses from Bluestar’s sister companies Salisbury Reds, Swindon’s Bus Company, Southern Vectis, and Morebus that are currently helping out on Southampton’s network.