• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Godalming station dispersal order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Just saw this Tweet from the BTP https://twitter.com/BTPSurrey/status/1471415246732640256

There is a dispersal order in place for Godalming Railway Station every weekend until the end of December 2021. This is due to recent incidents of ASB and violence at the station. Officers will be patrolling the area and handing dispersal orders if required.

Anyone familiar with the area know if this ASB is quite common? I guess bored kids lurking around?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
A week or two back it was reported one evening that trains weren't stopping due to a police incident. I didn't hear anything further about its nature.
A year or so ago there were repeated cases of ASB at Farncombe station, about 3/4 mile to the north.

apinnard

The area is well known for it. The scrotes used to harrass passengers and staff on trains, even breaking into the pa system and making “announcements” on trains.

Stigy

Established Member
There’s been significant ASB at Godalming/Farncombe for a few years now. It got beyond minor offences a few years ago and commuters were being robbed etc. it was the usual suspects generally (not sure if this has changed though as it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been there).

Bigfoot

The station was closed recently due to someone being shot in the face by what turned out was an airsoft/bb gun. However still a serious issue. Guildford all the way to the Harbour regularly has youngsters causing problems.

Not to excuse people behaving badly, but in that part of Surrey trains, other than for the now very limited commute to London, are transport of last resort, and so there may well be no leavening of good people to make the more timid/led of the bad people think a little bit about their behaviour. Being less wealthy in a wealthy area can’t be fun and I wonder whether the youth clubs etc have shut down because of cuts or Covid. Trains, and more so stations are among the few public spaces left for those who don’t go to restaurants and have nice family homes.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Not to excuse people behaving badly, but in that part of Surrey trains, other than for the now very limited commute to London, are transport of last resort, and so there may well be no leavening of good people to make the more timid/led of the bad people think a little bit about their behaviour. Being less wealthy in a wealthy area can’t be fun and I wonder whether the youth clubs etc have shut down because of cuts or Covid. Trains, and more so stations are among the few public spaces left for those who don’t go to restaurants and have nice family homes.

I'm surprised, when I pass through the area on the train it looks very quaint and rural.

Meerkat

Established Member
How on earth have you come to this opinion? The trains through that area are fairly busy all day (outside Covid), all the through traffic to/from Portsmouth for a start.
Leisure trips to/via London, nights out in London/Guildford, lots of school and college travel etc etc. The residents may have big cars but the traffic in, and south of, Guildford can be a nightmare, and being wealthy the speed is good and they arent so bothered about the cost.
Farncombe is probably the issue. Some very deprived roads around there, a local teacher once told me that on one particular estate some of the families hadnt had anyone working since the generation made unemployed when agriculture disappeared/mechanised.

MadCommuter

Rather than issue a dispersal order, is not possible to arrest and charge those causing the trouble?

Towers

Established Member
This was all well documented prior to Covid; the issues are believed to involve a particular gang from the area, who took a liking to targeting the railway for whatever reason. As well as general antisocial behaviour, the issues included certain individuals holding keys and accessing driving cabs, throwing equipment out of windows and allegedly vandalising driving controls. It came to a head when a driver subsequently discovered that he had driven a train in service from Waterloo to Portsmouth with items of emergency equipment missing, the train having been a victim of the gang on its previous journey into London.

Aslef had been unsatisfied with the response from the TOC, and were proposing next steps of refusing to stop there if it wasn't addressed properly. Requests had been made for security staff to be deployed, but no such steps had been taken. Covid then appeared, I was wondering when it would kick off again.

Previous thread availble here somewhere!

Stigy

Established Member
These youths don’t do youth clubs…they’re feral.

londonbridge

Established Member
There’s been significant ASB at Godalming/Farncombe for a few years now. It got beyond minor offences a few years ago and commuters were being robbed etc. it was the usual suspects generally (not sure if this has changed though as it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been there).
Yes, a few years back I went to a show at Farncombe St Johns church, when I went to get the train home there was a group of kids having a punchup outside the station.

evergreenadam

I have found that the potential for mindless thuggery and ASB in commuter belt towns in the south east is often greater than in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.