• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go North East

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
They forgot the part where members of UNITE offered GNE a settlement, which was then accepted, and then withdrawn by the union the next day.
No they didn’t, despite Ben Maxfield’s very best efforts to heavily imply otherwise.

Your recollection is perhaps jaded by time.
I did wonder, which is why I went back to June 2016 to see what I wrote at the time about the matter.

It was certainly given by the Tribunal as the reason, but the Tribunal’s reasoning behind that reason was perhaps more indicative of their real motivation. I remain as cynical as I was in 2016.

I note that the partnership working was only raised by NEBOA at the time of the Tribunal. As I said at the time, it was interesting the plans didn’t predate the Tribunal. Nexus were blindsided by NEBOA’s ambush defence and, sadly, the Tribunal just lapped it all up.

And I stand by what I said about the SmartZone tickets, a useless cynical mess that allowed NEBOA to claim they’d complied with their promises on integrated ticketing but- crucially- without making the tickets even slightly commercially appealing.

Clearly Manchester leaned the lessons that Nexus were taught, as they subsequently explored why partnership working was inappropriate for Manchester.
They have had stability, especially in the team below the MD with many there under the management of Phil Medlicott and John Conroy.

I thought- and still think- that John Conroy crossed over the line between stability and stagnation. Stagecoach, certainly in the early to mid 2000s, just sat back on their laurels- minimal investment, a chronic inability to be punctual, and (related to the punctuality) chronic overcrowding issues after replacing double deckers with ALX300s on the 39/40 and 62/63.

They’ve come back the other way though, starting with those first E400s in 2007/08. And the core network is the same as it’s been for 25 years now, you know what you’re getting and there are no unexpected changes.

Unlike Go in North Tyneside, who decided instead to change their routes as often as they change their underpants. Which is why Percy Main is dead in the water.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thread reopened for discussing day-to-day matters.

JD2168

A number of ex First 13 plate StreetLite’s appear to have gone to Go North East, does anyone know how many & which registrations they have?

David 90825

A number of ex First 13 plate StreetLite’s appear to have gone to Go North East, does anyone know how many & which registrations they have?
Go North East has received 17 examples which are numbered 5511-5527.
5511 (SM13 NBA), 5512 (SM13 NBB), 5513 (SM13 NDK), 5514 (SM13 NDL), 5515 (SM13 NDN), 5516 (SM13 NDO), 5517 (SM13 NDU), 5518 (SM13 NDV), 5519 (SM13 NDX), 5520 (SM13 NDY), 5521 (SM13 NDZ), 5522 (SM13 NEF), 5523 (SM13 NEN), 5524 (SM13 NEY), 5525 (SK63 KHF), 5526 (SK63 KHG), 5527 (SK63 KHL).

MasterSpenny

I see the Go North East Christmas bus tour begun today.
The count down to the big day begins! Today is the start of our
@gonortheast
Christmas bus tour with Santa. We are off to Santa’s Mail Room today to collect all his letters. While on our way we will be visiting Killingworth, Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, and Wallsend.

Go North East has received 17 examples which are numbered 5511-5527.
5511 (SM13 NBA), 5512 (SM13 NBB), 5513 (SM13 NDK), 5514 (SM13 NDL), 5515 (SM13 NDN), 5516 (SM13 NDO), 5517 (SM13 NDU), 5518 (SM13 NDV), 5519 (SM13 NDX), 5520 (SM13 NDY), 5521 (SM13 NDZ), 5522 (SM13 NEF), 5523 (SM13 NEN), 5524 (SM13 NEY), 5525 (SK63 KHF), 5526 (SK63 KHG), 5527 (SK63 KHL).
In addition to these Wrightbus StreetLites they are receiving ex Go Ahead London Enviro 400s, which follows from 08, 57, and 60 plate examples that I used to see in London. Here are ex E163, 167, 170 and 171 (that was their fleet numbers in London that was seen physically by me) now at Go North East (not my photo)

Last edited:

MasterSpenny

Reported on the North East Buses website that Yutong U11DD demonstrator YD73FTP is at Go North East.
Looks like GNE have the Yutong double decker on demo for the 21.

Pelican Bus & Coach Yutong U11DD YD73FTP is currently at Go North East Riverside Depot and is seen resting in Durham Bus Station on 12 January 2024.

Info and photo from Ken Weaver in the Busesnortheast Facebook group.

Is Pelican part of the Go Ahead Group or are random triangles for logos just the new in thing across the board?

KX03HZY

Reported on the North East Buses website that Yutong U11DD demonstrator YD73FTP is at Go North East.
They've got money from Levelling Up funding for 15 new EV double deckers for the Angel 21 routes so presumably they are assessing the choices now

safcwebster

Anyone know why GNE are acquiring these Streetlites?
The Ex First ones?

5511-21 are being used as Driver Training vehicles, replacing the Omnicities.

5522-27 all at Sunderland Depot in fleet livery, allowing 8310-12 and 8329 to be withdrawn from Sunderland

Last edited:

JD2168

Very recently in use at Stagecoach Sheffield based at Ecclesfield depot.

magpiepotts

When you join go north east do you do all routes at the depot or are new starters given certain routes to do first?

magpiepotts

Thankyou for the reply. I've seen elsewhere that they did this. Not an issue either way to be honest. Just wanted to know if this was case and if they had certain links for certain routes

DanNCL

Established Member
The Yutong double deck demo has been in service on the 21 for the last few days. I sampled it earlier and was impressed. Very quiet, very smooth. Also noticed that the staircase wasn’t as steep as the norm for double deck buses which was nice.

As for new starters on routes, the only thing I can really add to what’s already been said is that at Washington depot the new starters frequently work the 34, indeed I’d say around half of the buses I’ve been on on the 34 over the last month or so have been driven by new starters with a mentor standing at the front supervising.

I am fairly confident that, at Washington depot at least, drivers don’t regularly work every route. I’ve certainly never seen any of the same drivers on the X1 as I have on the 25, 28 or 34 and they’re all routes I use fairly often. That’s not necessarily to say they aren’t able to work every route at their depot though, I’m not a driver so am just going off my own observations as a passenger.

magpiepotts

The Yutong double deck demo has been in service on the 21 for the last few days. I sampled it earlier and was impressed. Very quiet, very smooth. Also noticed that the staircase wasn’t as steep as the norm for double deck buses which was nice.

As for new starters on routes, the only thing I can really add to what’s already been said is that at Washington depot the new starters frequently work the 34, indeed I’d say around half of the buses I’ve been on on the 34 over the last month or so have been driven by new starters with a mentor standing at the front supervising.

I am fairly confident that, at Washington depot at least, drivers don’t regularly work every route. I’ve certainly never seen any of the same drivers on the X1 as I have on the 25, 28 or 34 and they’re all routes I use fairly often. That’s not necessarily to say they aren’t able to work every route at their depot though, I’m not a driver so am just going off my own observations as a passenger.
Thanks for the reply. I currently live in the Midlands but I will be moving up to the northeast in the summer. I used to drive for stagecoach at rugby. I'm also unsure of what company would be best to apply for