• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grafitti/Scratchitti control

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

How does the LU keep their equipment free of vandalism? The on-going scratching, or scratchitti that occurs in NY's system is horrible. Passengers sometimes have a blurred view of platform signs because the plastic windows are so scratched up. Even if there were cameras in each car, these people hide themselves under "hoodies" and carry on without incident. The PATH system right next door in New Jersey doesn't have this problem too much either.. It's shameful, disgraceful and down right juvenile when this happens. LU's rolling stopp (I've only ever seen pictures) always looks prisitne. Nicely done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
All trains get a "deep clean" every night, the vandalism is very bad and LU has a policy that states any trains that have been vandalised must not go out into service untill they are clean, hence why you see them looking nice and clean.

The LU network gets a overnight deep clean too

DavyCrocket

All trains get a "deep clean" every night, the vandalism is very bad and LU has a policy that states any trains that have been vandalised must not go out into service untill they are clean, hence why you see them looking nice and clean.

The LU network gets a overnight deep clean too

I wouldn't say deep clean.

Trains are swept/mopped everynight.

When graffiti is reported, if it is wet, offensive or where acid is used to aid the etching, then it will be sent to depot where a new train will be provided or cancelled. The BTP will be informed and if they are going to attend to look for evidence, then it won't be cleaned.

If it is not serious then the trains will carry on running around.

There is/was a policy that the InfraCo would not offer a train for service if it was graffitied, but they now work on the basis that, a train is better than no train!

Stations aren't deep cleaned each night either. Cleaners work 24/7 on groups of stations and sweeping, litter picking in customer areas and trackside and mopping take place periodically. Other customer areas and out of the way places are done every now and then.
If an area requires cleaning then it should be reported to the line's Fault Report Centre and a contractor will be assinged.

bengley

Established Member
I saw an A60 with the first half of the front carriage covered in graffiti. It was in passenger service.

Established Member
Just going on what ive seen on "The Tube" really, as for not having a deep clean I covered myself with the " " :lol:

DavyCrocket

I saw an A60 with the first half of the front carriage covered in graffiti. It was in passenger service.

This'll be the case for a few more months/years as a) since the collapse of the SSL and BCV PPP there is little money about and
b) it'll make the new trains look better!

Aussie_Rail

Connex in Melbourne have a policy where graffiti is removed within 24hours of it being graffiti and graffiti on trains that is deemed as offensive or severe will see the train being listed as defective and taken to a depot to be cleaned.

subway156

Each individual line is responsible to budget in the cleaning process. Hence, the cleanliness of each line is not consistant. I have seen a cleaner doing his thing on the Staten Island line. But that is so unlike the rest of the system it can't be used to judge accurately. I mention because I saw actual cleaning being done. But, the rolling stock on that line is ugly,weather beaten and old. The other thing I really abhor is the boring stainless steel exterior look. It's a total bore. They do apply adverts on some cars, usually the Times Square Shuttle. That is the very first section of the original 1904 IRT line between Grand Central and Times Square.

Attachments

• img_104712.jpg
    img_104712.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 4002649332_0d9a116b2c.jpg
    4002649332_0d9a116b2c.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.