• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greasy Spoon Cafes

Do you like traditional Greasy Spoon Cafes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
One thing I cannot stand is traditional greasy spoon cafes.

To me, I can think of nothing worse than sitting in a busy terraced building with a dirty beige "Jimmy's Caf' " sign on the front eating greasy thick-cut fatty bacon in cheap rolls with milky tea and an industrial-sized bottle of wholesaler ketchup on the counter.

I find the atmosphere of them very depressing and the food quality to be dire. Yet, it would seem that they're often rather well-patronised if ever I pass by... and I'd love to know what it is that people enjoy about it.

Do you like greasy spoon cafes? If you do, I'd love to know what you like about them. Please do leave a comment :)

Personally, I'd rather pop into Bills or Cote for brunch or something, but I'd prefer even a Tesco meal deal, or hunger, to a trip to a greasy spoon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
I absolutely love them. However , not if they are dirty. Some are quite nice and clean , despite the greasy spoon moniker. I much prefer tea in a mug from a cafe .

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thing is its variable, many places thar fit such a moniker aren't really "greasy" per se, some do pretty decent food of reasonable or better quality, I do dislike proper "greasy" ones though - where you can smell the cooking fat from halfway up the road and the food is practically swimming in grease.

eating greasy thick-cut fatty bacon in cheap rolls with milky tea and an industrial-sized bottle of wholesaler ketchup on the counter.
I do dislike thick cut fat on my bacon, I don't mind back bacon but not with too much fat - but I much prefer bacon medallions where you get more "meat" and not much fat round the edge.

I hate doughy white rolls, Scottish morning rolls are not for me and the "well-fired" variety are truly vile - how anyone can eat one of those without boking it up is beyond me.

I don't really drink tea, but I don't like it user milky, nor coffee (which is my usual hot drink of choice) - needs to be good and strong in either case.

High Dyke

Established Member
Alright there are venues that don't exactly exude 'tea at the Ritz' standard, but the food is usually freshly cooked and value for money. Equally, I've had tepid breakfasts in supermarket cafés and the likes of Wetherspoons. I suppose we all have our own opinions...

There used to be such a café not far from the station in Lincoln. It looked run down and scruffy, but the bacon and sausages were cooked using a George Foreman type grill, so a lot healthier than you may have thought from the first appearance.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I presume I'm still allowed a say despite the mention of "English" grub? :D

I do like these kinds of places personally, although it's pretty much anything but bacon for me. I reckon I must have had a dodgy bacon roll - very much like the one described in the OP - when I was really young as I can easily count on one hand the number of bacon rolls I've had in my life.

jfollows

Established Member
Peter's Cafe,Aldgate, this morning, perfect start to the day.
Actually I had an omelette with a nice salad, but "full English" went down well with two others.
I much prefer to a chain coffee shop type of place.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There's a cracking cash-only greasy spoon in Woolwich called First Choice which is often busy and does a time-warp menu including things like corned beef.

Nothing, however, beats the Regency in Pimlico for genuine timeless cafe culture, with its plastic seats and sergeant-major contralto Andrea booming out people's orders ready for collection to a packed caff. "SCAMPI AND CHIPS AND BEANS WITH ONE ROUND OF BREAD AND BUTTER!"

ComUtoR

Established Member
Personally, I'd rather pop into Bills or Cote for brunch or something, but I'd prefer even a Tesco meal deal, or hunger, to a trip to a greasy spoon.

£12.95 for a 'Bills Brunch'
£9.50 for a Cote Full Breakfast

Overpriced, middle classed, pretentious..... no thanks (maybe sometimes)

A 'Greasy Spoon' offers a quick meal (normally a fry up) that's hot and almost instant. They have moved on from what they were years ago but still hold that 'greasy spoon reputation. I've had plenty of decent fry ups in a 'Greasy spoon' A decent Cafe is a joy to behold and an important part of the UK High Street experience.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

To me, I can think of nothing worse than sitting in a busy terraced building with a dirty beige "Jimmy's Caf' " sign on the front eating greasy thick-cut fatty bacon in cheap rolls with milky tea and an industrial-sized bottle of wholesaler ketchup on the counter.

I find the atmosphere of them very depressing and the food quality to be dire. Yet, it would seem that they're often rather well-patronised if ever I pass by... and I'd love to know what it is that people enjoy about it.

Do you like greasy spoon cafes? If you do, I'd love to know what you like about them. Please do leave a comment :)

If you cannot stand them, why visit? You've clearly sampled quite a few for you to be able to make such sweeping generalisations. Obviously you're not their target market! :)

Like any other catering establishment, greasy spoons can be good and bad. I've been in a couple that have been fairly awful, but most of the cafes I've visited have been very good, providing a substantial breakfast for a reasonable price. Some people just want no-nonsense basic grub without paying through the nose, and this type of establishment caters for that market very well.

Sadly there aren't many establishments around here that actually fit that description; I do enjoy a good Scottish breakfast, especially after a night out, but I'd have to travel a bit to find one. I highly recommend Cafe Nairn in er.. Nairn. They don't just provide a one-size breakfast, but have different pricing tiers so that you only actually pay for what you want to eat. Tea/coffee and toast is included in the price.

75A

Established Member
£12.95 for a 'Bills Brunch'
£9.50 for a Cote Full Breakfast

Overpriced, middle classed, pretentious..... no thanks (maybe sometimes)

A 'Greasy Spoon' offers a quick meal (normally a fry up) that's hot and almost instant. They have moved on from what they were years ago but still hold that 'greasy spoon reputation. I've had plenty of decent fry ups in a 'Greasy spoon' A decent Cafe is a joy to behold and an important part of the UK High Street experience.
Couldn't agree more.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Often run by locals - and quite flexible and good value for money - correction , excellent value for money. To be cherished. Owners often pay tax unlike many corporates.
Good ones around Marylebone , Euston and West Hampstead.

Standards have improved over the years - the West Hampstead one used to be a bit "tired" , but now much smarter.

Ediswan

Established Member
I do enjoy a good Scottish breakfast, especially after a night out, but I'd have to travel a bit to find one. I highly recommend Cafe Nairn in er.. Nairn.
Would that include 'square sausage' ? Perfectly fine on a breakfast plate, but something of a surprise the first time I encountered it.

If I recall correctly, Thorn Lighting had a factory in Nairn. Small lamps ? (Thorn inherited several WWII factories that were built in 'less likely to be bombed' places.)

lachlan

Andrews Restaurant near the Postal Museum in London could probably count as a "greasy spoon". Affordable veggie breakfast and great service and, crucially, not a chain. Put me in the "sometimes" camp, just depends on what sort of mood I'm in (and how much I want to spend!)

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Often run by locals - and quite flexible and good value for money - correction , excellent value for money. To be cherished. Owners often pay tax unlike many corporates.
Good ones around Marylebone , Euston and West Hampstead.

Standards have improved over the years - the West Hampstead one used to be a bit "tired" , but now much smarter.
This is the big factor for me. In a world increasingly dominated by chains (especially big multinationals), these smaller independent businesses need all the help they can get. Particularly because they really do provide such good value.

The main downside they have versus chains for me is that they represent an unknown quantity. If I go to a Wetherspoons for a breakfast, I basically know what I'm going to get - it won't blow my socks off and the service probably won't be brilliant, but it'll do the job. Whereas with a greasy spoon, it might be incredible or it might be terrible - probably on average it will be better but there's an element of risk involved. The other, related, issue is that they can be a bit obscure and hard to find - if I was in some unknown town I probably wouldn't know where I was heading. Sometimes they aren't even on things like Google Maps (or don't show particularly well).

D365

Veteran Member
Can somebody please explain what a ”greasy spoon cafe” is?

david1212

Established Member
From the replies above most are places on the fringe of a town where premises costs are less rather than predominantly trucker cafe's along or near to major roads.

I've only tried the latter a couple of times years ago where clearly not strictly truckers only. While a very small sample I did find them a bit intimidating and the premises rather less than clean but realistically not surprising if seating mostly used by those in overalls and for some a typical day involves something more than driving. I am NOT implying any issues with kitchen or food hygiene.

For the former over the years I've used far more and overall had good fresh food at a reasonable price. Service usually is prompt too. I don't doubt some lower grade ingrediants e.g. less lean bacon, sausages with lower meat content etc. If I used regularly I would be more concerned about this rather than the occasional ' Full English '. Mostly the premises clean and tidy just basic. If they look dirty / grotty then unless very last resort or short of time I will walk on.

Can somebody please explain what a ”greasy spoon cafe” is?

Read UK references here

Last edited:

Ostrich

I'll probably get some stick for this, but an early morning McDonalds bacon & egg McMuffin with extra hash browns (to die for) and a piping hot coffee was my standard "go-to" as an office worker in Birmingham .....

The nearest equivalent to a greasy spoon café in the town I now live in is actually very good value for money with a wide range of all-day breakfast options. In contrast, the more up-market local restaurant seems to have gone downhill since the pandemic - increased prices and slightly chipped crockery last time I went.

Basically, you can't judge a book by its cover ...

ComUtoR

Established Member

Jimini

Established Member
On a similar note -- I've been going to the Embassy for years. Top notch grub:

Oh please. Not exactly a fair comparison. If you want to start a thread about chain restaurants crack on, chap. Leave the greasy spoon goodness to those who appreciate a good thing :smile:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Would that include 'square sausage' ? Perfectly fine on a breakfast plate, but something of a surprise the first time I encountered it.

If I recall correctly, Thorn Lighting had a factory in Nairn. Small lamps ? (Thorn inherited several WWII factories that were built in 'less likely to be bombed' places.)
Believe it or not, I'm not all that bothered about getting square sausage as long as the links are okay. Decent black pudding is a must and sliced haggis is definitely a plus, although not always offered.

Regarding the lighting factory, I've got no idea. I know Thorn had a place in Buckie (originally AEI, perhaps), which is about the same distance from me in the opposite direction.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Believe it or not, I'm not all that bothered about getting square sausage as long as the links are okay. Decent black pudding is a must and sliced haggis is definitely a plus, although not always offered.

Regarding the lighting factory, I've got no idea. I know Thorn had a place in Buckie (originally AEI, perhaps), which is about the same distance from me in the opposite direction.
I love Black Pudding, but refuse to believe it’s Scottish. True black pudding is born in Bury, just like my mother, who was also born there!

D365

Veteran Member
On a similar note -- I've been going to the Embassy for years. Top notch grub:

http://embassy.cafe/
Can you recommend anything similar in the vicinity of Victoria station? I’m due to visit one of my company’s sister offices in that area, and could use a quick fresh-cooked lunch in that style :)

Status
Not open for further replies.