• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British sitcoms

What’s your favourite British sitcom of all time?

• Only Fools and Horses

Votes: 40 25.0%
  • Dad’s Army

Votes: 40 25.0%
  • The Vicar of Dibley

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • Father Ted

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • The Royle Family

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • ‘Allo ‘Allo!

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • Blackadder

Votes: 53 33.1%
  • Fawlty Towers

Votes: 61 38.1%
  • Are You Being Served?

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • Open All Hours

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • Keeping Up Appearances

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • Absolutely Fabulous

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • One Foot in the Grave

• Bottom

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Yes Minister

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • The Inbetweeners

Votes: 26 16.3%
  • The Office

• The IT Crowd

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • Friday Night Dinner

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • Mrs Brown’s Boys

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Gavin & Stacey

• Mr. Bean

Votes: 20 12.5%
  • Outnumbered

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 28 17.5%
  • None

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
It’s that time of year again. While some of the best British sitcoms are enjoyed all year round, Christmas is the perfect time for reliving some of the greatest episodes of all time, and not just the seasonal specials.

For me it’s a tough choice deciding which is the greatest of all time. There are more out there than the poll allows, but I would certainly say that my top 5 in no particular order consists of:

The Vicar of Dibley
The IT Crowd
Friday Night Dinner
The Royle Family
Father Ted

I have already got round to rewatching 1996’s A Christmassy Ted, and hoping to do the same for TVOD Christmas Lunch Incident (coincidentally also from that year, the ‘90s were great weren’t they?).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
For me it would be a toss up between Yes, Minister and Blackadder, but I have spent most of my life without a TV.

J-2739

Established Member
There should be the option to select multiple! (edit - you've done it! :D)

I like several of those you have listed, such as:
  • Mr. Bean
  • Friday Night Dinner
  • The Inbetweeners
  • Keeping Up Appearances

One you haven't listed is Dinnerladies. Another classic.

Last edited:

PTR 444

Established Member
There should be the option to select multiple!

I like several of those you have listed, but one you haven't listed is dinnerladies.
Just changed it now. You can select an unlimited number of options on the poll. :)

D365

Veteran Member
It's a bit more modern, but I got hooked on Channel 4's Ackley Bridge. Filmed out of a former secondary in Halifax.

Fresh Meat is also a great one (sort of like a university version of Inbetweeners) with some famous names like Joe Thomas, Jack Whitehall, Robert Webb.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Birds of a Feather has to be my favourite, followed by The Inbetweeners, Keeping Up Appearances, Only Fools and Horses and Faulty Towers. I love Friday Night Dinner as well.

Does Derry Girls count?

oxfordray1

For me it is Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses, Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister and Porridge.

There are by far my top four, but cannot rank them within the top four.

Sorcerer

Bottom is an easy win for me just because of how much I used to laugh watching it as a child even when I really shouldn't have been doing so, and the amount of times me and my friend have re-enacted different scenes just cannot be counted. That said, Fawlty Towers is a close second for me even though John Cleese isn't exactly the nicest of individuals.

tbtc

Veteran Member
There should be the option to select multiple!

I like several of those you have listed, but one you haven't listed is dinnerladies.

dinnerladies was wonderful, I don’t think it got anything like the attention/ respect that it deserved, but I feel that people will keep discovering it in the future, it’s a timeless set up and handles the minutiae of close relationships really well

Id recommend Early Doors for similar reasons, barely an inch of fat on it, another sitcom that stayed beneath the radar

(But, impossible to list every show, the OP has given us a wide selection)

love Friday Night Dinner as well.

Does Derry Girls count?

Two great sitcoms , channel four are still investing in comedy, unlike some other channels (albeit that reminds me that I never watched that new Robert Popper show… did anyone try it?)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just changed it now. You can select an unlimited number of options on the poll. :)
How about when this one is finished you hold a round two with the bottom ten removed and then a third round with the bottom five removed, and a straight run off vote on the remaining five as a final?

pdq

My 'other' is Red Dwarf: loved that as a teenager/student

duncanp

Established Member
Yes Minister is technically a documentary, not a sitcom ;)

Yes. especially the episode where there was a brand new hospital with no patients in it.

Now that could never happen in real life, could it?

Oh, hang on......

Non Multi

Other sitcoms: The Young Ones, Drop the Dead Donkey and The Brittas Empire. I'm surprised the The Young Ones isn't on the list.

PTR 444

Established Member
Fresh Meat is also a great one (sort of like a university version of Inbetweeners) with some famous names like Joe Thomas, Jack Whitehall, Robert Webb.
One of very few sitcoms which I have watched every single episode in fact, having binged through it last spring thanks to my sister recommending it. Would highly recommend myself.

I particularly liked the first episode from series 3 which was set in Southampton. One cut-scene shows a SWR class 158 being filmed from the footbridge linking New Road with North Front on the Kingsland Estate.

Southampton City Centre

Darandio

Established Member
Soft spot for Men Behaving Badly here. Hasn't aged particularly well but part of my 'yoof'.

Magdalia

Established Member
I didn't get where I am today without knowing a real winner when I see one.

This nomination is eleven minutes late due to staff difficulties at Hampton Wick.

PTR 444

Established Member
How about when this one is finished you hold a round two with the bottom ten removed and then a third round with the bottom five removed, and a straight run off vote on the remaining five as a final?
Great idea! Maybe give this one a week or so?

brad465

Established Member
Yes. especially the episode where there was a brand new hospital with no patients in it.

Now that could never happen in real life, could it?

Oh, hang on......
And also the four stage strategy which can be applied to countless situations:

"In stage one we say “nothing is going to happen”

"In stage two we say “something may be going to happen but we should do nothing about it”

"In stage three we say “maybe we should do something about it, but there’s nothing we can do”

"In stage four we say “maybe there’s something we could have done, but it’s too late now”

Status
Not open for further replies.