• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

Flying Phil

Established Member
The first passenger service ran over the bridges at Quorn last night with the TSRs still in place.

Today is the first full day of running between Loughborough and Leicester since the renewal work.
Good News!
Presumably the TSRs will stay for a short time whilst the track bed settles?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
The first passenger service ran over the bridges at Quorn last night with the TSRs still in place.

Today is the first full day of running between Loughborough and Leicester since the renewal work.
presumably all good for a trip this sunday? (2nd) - planning to visit.

JKF

Yes, absolutely, there are people who wish to see it happen who are in a position to make it happen and we just so happened to be discussing an autotrain in passing the other week whilst working the branch service. See also a GWR Railcar, and the NER Autocar. Some are more likely than others however. Oh, and for christ sake don't take that to mean its happening. :)
Would that be a steam or diesel GWR railcar? Though either would be great.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I visited the railway last Wednesday for the first time for many years, and had a very good day.

I travelled behind the Standard Class 2 78018 for both of my return journeys and everything went well. I'd have liked to have travelled on one of the DMUs, but didn't time the journeys well enough to do so.

Things were quiet at the beginning, but there were a lot of people on the later services, which was good to see. The TSRs were in place all day.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There was an unusual day at the GCR yesterday when a group of over 100, first and second year Nottingham Trent University engineering students were able to see how a heritage railway operates and the many aspects of engineering involved. They spoke with many volunteers and paid staff in the Locomotive shed, machine shop, Quorn signal box and station. They also went into the Ex BR Test Car 2, Quorn Wagon and Wagon site, Rothley C & W shed and saw Windcutter restoration work.
At the end of the day there was a Q & A session with our new General Manager and other senior staff.

xotGD

Established Member
There was an unusual day at the GCR yesterday when a group of over 100, first and second year Nottingham Trent University engineering students were able to see how a heritage railway operates and the many aspects of engineering involved. They spoke with many volunteers and paid staff in the Locomotive shed, machine shop, Quorn signal box and station. They also went into the Ex BR Test Car 2, Quorn Wagon and Wagon site, Rothley C & W shed and saw Windcutter restoration work.
At the end of the day there was a Q & A session with our new General Manager and other senior staff.
Hopefully a few will be inspired to come back as volunteers.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hopefully the majority of longstanding members on here will see this in a more positive light. Trying to engage with the younger generation and fulfilling part of the charitable objectives of the supporting DCRT.
It was good to see how engaged a lot of the young people were and how much the paid staff and volunteers on the GCR enjoyed explaining what they did and their part in how the railway worked.

Flying Phil

Established Member
June 17/18 will see the GCR celebration of 50 years as a preserved main line. It is a time for the original and many of the long serving members of the GCR family to meet up. The local communities are also recognised.
As a "One-Off" highlight, there will be a 50 wagon freight train running on the Saturday.....50@50!

railfan99

Established Member
June 17/18 will see the GCR celebration of 50 years as a preserved main line. It is a time for the original and many of the long serving members of the GCR family to meet up. The local communities are also recognised.
As a "One-Off" highlight, there will be a 50 wagon freight train running on the Saturday.....50@50!

Must be an amazing achievement: surviving the fuel crisis of 1973/74 (we had it in Oz so I assume you also "enjoyed" it); Global Financial Crisis of 2008-09 and Covid-19 February 2020-late 2022 to name three, plus other challenges.

It was incredible for me as a foreigner to travel last year with seven locos of varying classes in steam, ranging up to 92214. I can't express in words how thrilling this was, 54 or so years since the "official" demise of BR steam.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Railfan
Glad that you enjoyed your visit to the GCR. What should also be said is that the section actually bought from BR was a single track from Loughborough to Rothley. (The trackbed was purchased by the local council I believe). So the initial run round loops at Quorn and Rothley, the double track, Loughborough re modelling, Swithland sidings and Mountsorrel branch have All been done in the preservation era.
Of course we are now building bridges and embankments to "Bridge the Gap" between the GCR and GCR(N).

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
According to the latest "Main Line" magazine, the Mountsorrel Railway will be operating on the last Saturday from April to August, each Thursday July 20th to August 24th and the weekend 30th Sept/1st Oct. So plenty more opportunities to sample this delightful GCR branch line in 2023.

I'm sure the GCR website will have detailed timetables very soon, now that the two bridges either side of Quorn have been replaced.

I have extensively perused the GCR website.

It doesn't appear to have any mention of Mountsorrel branch line frequencies on any day of operation, even though by clicking on a date one can see the proposed Loughborough-Leicester North timetables.

Please correct me, but the magazine isn't viewable online (not such a bad thing!)

Its web page hasn't been updated for c. eight years:

Trainlog

I honestly want to thank the GCR for taking this decision as for me seeing the footplate and talking to the loco crew is a great experience on a heritage railway or the mainline:). I can confirm that this will help inspire visitors to the line as when i was starting to go and visit heritage railways again, it was and definitely still is nice to have a quick look at the controls/gauges, the warm glow from the firebox- (at a respectful distance:).)and to see the steam coming from the steam-chest pipes on the plate.

I have a huge respect of the patience and friendliness of the crews on heritage and mainline for the interested public when visiting the plates - will always have great memories of seeing the plates of many famous locos - only really got to tick off an A4, Scotsman and Mayflower and i am near enough there:).

railfan99

Established Member
I honestly want to thank the GCR for taking this decision as for me seeing the footplate and talking to the loco crew is a great experience on a heritage railway or the mainline:). I can confirm that this will help inspire visitors to the line as when i was starting to go and visit heritage railways again

What great photos in the article showing committed volunteers. From visiting, GCR is a really well run preserved railway.

The older boy who's probably 10 or 11 will remember this well. From similar experiences, an affection for railways can grow.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There is an updated list of activities taking place on the GCR for their 50th Anniversary event June 17/18th. Saturday is the only day to see the 50@50 freight train running behind the 9F 92214.

We are making steady progress with #16 as the vacuum pipe is nearly finished, the end door repairs are nearly complete and three patches have been done on the West side.

e37b574a5d4e.jpg

34420acbe2e9.jpg

b51eebe88984.jpg

We are also looking forward to seeing our rake running on June 17th as part of the 50 wagon freight train.
We will have a display at Quorn so come along and say hello!
....Automerge strikes again!

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Not a big issue as I can wait till publication, but just wondered if anyone knows when the GCR timetable for the special event marking the 50th anniversary weekend (June 17th / 18th) will be published by the GCR?

More specifically a rough idea when the 1st train passenger carrying on the Saturday is likely to run?

For context I'm persuading some non enthusiast friends to join me as I think they and their children will enjoy it, but would be handy for me to tell them some idea of what to expect and timings as I don't think they have ever been to one of the 'big' preserved lines before. Of course as we all know there is plenty to do at any of the GCR station until a train shows up but....

Harvester

Established Member
What is happening up the line at GCR (Nottingham)! Are trains due to start running again?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Western Lancer, the GCR website mentions that Sat June 17th tickets are from 9 am to 7 pm so I think there will be trains running on a frequent basis between those hours.
Harvester
The Ruddington site is steadily getting busier and the hope is that passenger trains will be running soon. A lot of people are doing a lot of work behind the scenes to get it ready.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi Western Lancer, the GCR website mentions that Sat June 17th tickets are from 9 am to 7 pm so I think there will be trains running on a frequent basis between those hours.
Harvester
The Ruddington site is steadily getting busier and the hope is that passenger trains will be running soon. A lot of people are doing a lot of work behind the scenes to get it ready.
Thanks Phil - sounds good!

Flying Phil

Established Member
There are the timetables for June 17/18 posted on the GCR website. The Minerals and vans are moved to Loughborough in the morning on Saturday June 17th only, these are coupled together, then the 50 wagon train, hauled by 9F 92214 will run to Rothley where it is split up. Truly a worthy celebration of a preserved Main Line celebrating its 50th year.

WesternLancer

Established Member
There are the timetables for June 17/18 posted on the GCR website. The Minerals and vans are moved to Loughborough in the morning on Saturday June 17th only, these are coupled together, then the 50 wagon train, hauled by 9F 92214 will run to Rothley where it is split up. Truly a worthy celebration of a preserved Main Line celebrating its 50th year.
Thanks for this Gen!

Flying Phil

Established Member
We were at Quorn yesterday getting the one (as yet) unrestored 16T Mineral wagon ready for display as part of our "Windcutter" display. It is also 30 years since our volunteer team started these restorations.
Quorn pic 3.jpg

This will be a significant wagon as it has always been deemed as a bit of a "scrapper", to be done sometime, possibly - for the last 30 years!
So a fitting answer to those who bemoan the "Linear scrapyard" of no hopers which ought to be got rid of....

WesternLancer

Established Member
GCR 50th event superb today - urge anyone thinking of going to get over there for sunday and enjoy it. Lots going on, lots to see. Hope it is making a decent financial return to support the line!

ryan125hst

Established Member
I enjoyed the 50th Anniversary event. I was able to have a walk through the Locomotive shed at Loughborough which I don't think has been open to the public for a while. We were even allowed to walk to the bridge at the very back of the yard where the line will eventually be extended north which was good to see.

Other firsts for me was a look in the Rothley carriage shed which I've never seen open to the public before and a trip down the Mountsorrel branch.

I was also able to travel behind three steam locos, see the other two (including the one offering driving experiences in the yard at Quorn) and the two diesels and ride on one of the three DMU's in service today. And I just had to treat my Dad to a full English breakfast on the griddle car on Father's day - it gave me and my Mum and good excuse to have one as well! :lol:

All in all, a brilliant day so well done all at the GCR. I should be back for the Railways at Work Gala in August.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Boscastle returned to Quorn...and now has its smokebox back in place. The rest of the boiler is still to be stayed and retubed, but it is great to see the steady progress on its second return to steam. For the original owners, James and Pamela Tawse, it was an emotional moment.
DSC02691.JPG
DSC02695.JPG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Boscastle returned to Quorn...and now has its smokebox back in place. The rest of the boiler is still to be stayed and retubed, but it is great to see the steady progress on its second return to steam. For the original owners, James and Pamela Tawse, it was an emotional moment.
View attachment 137619
View attachment 137620

Looking good. Would West Country’s have run on the line in BR days? I seem to remember that Halls did?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
We were at Quorn yesterday getting the one (as yet) unrestored 16T Mineral wagon ready for display as part of our "Windcutter" display. It is also 30 years since our volunteer team started these restorations.
View attachment 137369

This will be a significant wagon as it has always been deemed as a bit of a "scrapper", to be done sometime, possibly - for the last 30 years!
So a fitting answer to those who bemoan the "Linear scrapyard" of no hopers which ought to be got rid of....
Thanks for this info Phil.
I watched a couple of youtube videos yesterday of the 9F and it's "big" train. It looked to me as though every single vehicle on the train was (vac) piped up, but I am guessing not every one is actually fitted.

Very very impressed indeed

Flying Phil

Established Member
Quite correct Wyrleybart, all the freight stock that runs on the GCR is fitted with vac brakes or "Through piped". Some of the Windcutter wagons were "Un-fitted" when purchased in 1992/3 but, as they went through the Rothley works, we made and fitted through pipes. The "Before" wagon on display at Quorn (B273729) is our last unfitted wagon.