• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
Loughborough Engine Shed was open for guided "Boscastle shed Tours" at the weekend. These have restarted following the shed refurbishment work and scheduled take place on the second weekend each month.
Inside the shed, there has a bit more space, as the frames etc of Thornbury Castle have been moved to Quorn, together with the boiler, ready for movement off site (To Tyseley?). 70013 Oliver Cromwell is still awaiting its boiler and final machining of rods. 777 Sir Lamiel is steadily being worked on with one tender bogie removed and being re assembled. The 04 still needs a new front firebox tube plate and the chassis awaits the wheels and axleboxes to be fitted. The Ivatt std 2 46521, is being stripped ready for 10 year overhaul (most of this work is scheduled to take place at Tyseley). Work on 34039 Boscastle, has concentrated on finishing piping up the tender (It had been on display at Quorn earlier), the boiler is still at LMS. The Black 5 45491 is still having its boiler rework done. 6990 Witherslack Hall has it's boiler back in place and insulation fitted together, with most of its boiler cladding. It will be repainted then returned to traffic around September.
DSC02746.JPGDSC02747.JPGDSC02748.JPGDSC02749.JPG

Roast Veg

Established Member
Is it just me or is it a heck of a lot brighter in there? Was that part of the shed works?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Yes it is a new roof with lots of glazing panels in. There is also automatic zoned (LED??) lighting which comes on as you move into the zone and then goes off as you move out.

railfan99

Established Member
Yes it is a new roof with lots of glazing panels in. There is also automatic zoned (LED??) lighting which comes on as you move into the zone and then goes off as you move out.

I hope there's also a sprinkler system in case of a fire, and appropriate security such as CCTV at strategic points.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Railfan,
I'm not sure if there is a sprinkler system, but there is not all that quantity of combustible material in the engine shed. There are several CCTV cameras etc all around the site.

AndyY1951

Given that a lot of effort and expenditure has been put into upgrading the shed, what is the current thinking on reinstating the railway round or through the shed once the reunification is complete?

Andy

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Andy
I Think the plan must be for a single line to run round the West side of the shed. Then it will go to a double track over the canal bridge and along the, to be built, embankment. then single track at the back of PreciSpark and over the tip road, car park and MML bridge. Then it runs parallel to the chord line and over the A 60 bridge to then join as a single track North to East Leake and Ruddington.
It is not ideal, but it does give space to store a train and stop Loughborough snarling up if there are delays to the North. Access to the shed and coal stock is a particular problem.
There is building work for offices etc starting to happen on the East side of the shed.
NOTE this is only what I think could be happening given the various constraints.....There is no definite "official" plan that I know about.
Running through the shed was always a diagrammatic/indicative/concept/fantasy (delete as appropriate!).
What is definite is that the reunification project is happening - hopefully the "Factory Flyover" will be started by the end of this year.

SLC001

Taking an age! Seriously, I cannot believe the changes since we left the area in 1998 and all I hope is that the business plan for the reunification works. Seems like only yesterday that we walked through the shed at will, watching work in progress or apparent lack of. Credit to all concerned.

AndyY1951

Phil, thanks for your reply. As you say, not ideal, but unless another location can be found for the shed, probably the best option to start off with.
I'm looking forward to the Factory Flyover work starting!

Andy

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Whatever happened to the engine shed that I think came from Workington? I last saw it in kit form in Swithland yard many years ago,I think the idea was to erect it on reclaimed land north of Loughborough.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Ashley
Ahh the Workington Shed...Yes parts of it were removed when it was demolished - one or a few(?) van loads, which did get put into store somewhere in Loughborough (?).
When a proper ground investigation was done by the tip site (NE of Loughborough shed) it was found to be contaminated and unsuitable for building on - unless a lot of prep ground working( = Expensive!!). Needless to say Lots of alternatives for the engine shed site have been considered but, for various reasons - not the least are planning issues for industrial work areas, we are having to work around where it is now.

satisnek

Hi Andy
I Think the plan must be for a single line to run round the West side of the shed. Then it will go to a double track over the canal bridge and along the, to be built, embankment. then single track at the back of PreciSpark and over the tip road, car park and MML bridge. Then it runs parallel to the chord line and over the A 60 bridge to then join as a single track North to East Leake and Ruddington.
It is not ideal, but it does give space to store a train and stop Loughborough snarling up if there are delays to the North. Access to the shed and coal stock is a particular problem.
There is building work for offices etc starting to happen on the East side of the shed.
NOTE this is only what I think could be happening given the various constraints.....There is no definite "official" plan that I know about.
Running through the shed was always a diagrammatic/indicative/concept/fantasy (delete as appropriate!).
What is definite is that the reunification project is happening - hopefully the "Factory Flyover" will be started by the end of this year.
Personally, I hope not! Such an arrangement would completely destroy the aesthetic of Loughborough Central as a through station. But having said that, I've read about the plan to relocate the shed to the west of the original running lines formation and thought, "really?" It would be a very narrow shed as far as I can see. I really can't see an ideal solution if the shed has to be retained on this site.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
When I was there last year, a member of staff said that there were plans for the mk 3 buffet car at Leicester to be turned into a bar. Has there been any progress on this ?

LowLevel

Established Member
Hi Ashley
Ahh the Workington Shed...Yes parts of it were removed when it was demolished - one or a few(?) van loads, which did get put into store somewhere in Loughborough (?).
When a proper ground investigation was done by the tip site (NE of Loughborough shed) it was found to be contaminated and unsuitable for building on - unless a lot of prep ground working( = Expensive!!). Needless to say Lots of alternatives for the engine shed site have been considered but, for various reasons - not the least are planning issues for industrial work areas, we are having to work around where it is now.
There was plenty of steelwork at Swithland, most of which quietly went in the scrap skip.

JKF

There’s some nice sheds on the soon-to-be-vacated Brush Works. Maybe have a word with the local authority development control about a nice bit of planning gain when the site is inevitably developed as housing. Of course, using some of the site in situ would be nice, but it doesn’t look like that’s an easy connection from the railway!

Flying Phil

Established Member
Personally, I hope not! Such an arrangement would completely destroy the aesthetic of Loughborough Central as a through station. But having said that, I've read about the plan to relocate the shed to the west of the original running lines formation and thought, "really?" It would be a very narrow shed as far as I can see. I really can't see an ideal solution if the shed has to be retained on this site.
I don't really see why a single line around the shed, 300yards North of the station affects its aesthetic?
A lot of effort went into plans to try and buy all or part of the coachworks site on the West boundary, which would have given space to relocate the shed, but it all fell through and so the shed had to be refurbed where it is.
Of course, when the shed was built, after moving it from RAF Langer(?), it was a consideration that a line could be put around it - should we ever go North.
JKF - Yes the Brush works site would offer a lot of advantages, but connection would be difficult! Imagine having to go via the Midland Main Line when the Gap is filled....

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Those shed pictures are great. It looks a lot lighter than when I was last there. nice to see tours have started again

AndyY1951

I think I would regard a line around the shed as a 'first iteration' to establish a connection between North and South. In the fullness of time an alternative location for the shed could allow the layout to be revisited. Although there is a height difference to overcome, I guess a chord into the Brush site could be made from the north once reunification is complete? Maybe a restoration shed on the Brush site and a smaller running shed where the present shed is now?

eyebrook1961

I don't think the company running the site, nor the landlords that they work for, would be the slightest bit interested in anything like this - since the break up and disposal of the site, it's all about getting new tenants in the various shops at the highest rent possible.

Although, in a fantasy world, having a line gradually run down from the embankment into the brush works is appealing - similar to the line that ran down from Kegworth Station and round in a loop to the gypsum works at Kingston on Soar

JKF

I don't think the company running the site, nor the landlords that they work for, would be the slightest bit interested in anything like this - since the break up and disposal of the site, it's all about getting new tenants in the various shops at the highest rent possible.

Although, in a fantasy world, having a line gradually run down from the embankment into the brush works is appealing - similar to the line that ran down from Kegworth Station and round in a loop to the gypsum works at Kingston on Soar
If they ever want to fully redevelop the site as housing, it’s possible that local authority planners could push them into providing something for the preserved railway as ‘community benefit’. I think having something to reflect the history of the site would be important. I suspect the main distinctive building is listed but likely too far to be connected without a large land take. The smaller shed/compound in top corner looks a more practical. All a bit fantasy land though.

eyebrook1961

If they ever want to fully redevelop the site as housing, it’s possible that local authority planners could push them into providing something for the preserved railway as ‘community benefit’. I think having something to reflect the history of the site would be important. I suspect the main distinctive building is listed but likely too far to be connected without a large land take. The smaller shed/compound in top corner looks a more practical. All a bit fantasy land though.
I think the chances of housing ever being developed on that site are as near to zero as you could get - the sheer amount needed to be spent on decontamination alone would be crippling. A portion of the site is also at risk of flooding (as it does regularly) and the only "Brush" company left on that site has just announced a substantial investment (in the millions) to increase and create new manufacturing capabilities - so taking all things into consideration any future leisure/housing use would seem to be very unlikely

WesternLancer

Established Member
I think the chances of housing ever being developed on that site are as near to zero as you could get - the sheer amount needed to be spent on decontamination alone would be crippling. A portion of the site is also at risk of flooding (as it does regularly) and the only "Brush" company left on that site has just announced a substantial investment (in the millions) to increase and create new manufacturing capabilities - so taking all things into consideration any future leisure/housing use would seem to be very unlikely
Somewhere Charnwood Borough Council would, I expect, have a 'Local Plan' - generally a planning department document that identifies land for particular uses in the future (or at least the foreseeable future I think) which would set out whether the land was preferred for planning permissions for industrial / residential / retail etc etc assuming it has been updated for the decision by Brush's owner to vacate the site / some of the site(?)

As to the question of whether any of the works is a listed building - It looks as though it is not a Statutorily Listed Building (ie Grade I, Garde II etc), but is a 'Locally listed' building (which is a much weaker status and simply means that the local council regard it as being of local historic value, but it would offer some protection against demolition presumably - it's a much easier status to get overturned than Historic England Listed status (which basically recognises a building as being of national significance)

The council has a handy database of listed buildings here:

of note is that both railways stations in the town are Listed (as is the red phone box outside Loughborough Midland Station)

Here is the local list entry for Brush Falcon Building

Date ListedThu 17th June, 2004
CategoryLocally Listed Building
AddressFalcon Building, Brush Works Nottingham Road Loughborough LE11 1EX
GradeLocally Listed
Grid ReferenceSK5430520644
DescriptionEngineering Workshops. Originally a Locomotive works for Henry Hughes & Co. Later The Falcon Engineering and Car Works (1883), acquired in 1889 by Anglo-American Brush. Development commenced 1865. Much altered and extended and many original buildings demolished. Mainly utility structures with exception of Falcon Building (originally built as Turbine Hall) and adjoining workshops with upstanding pedimented gables, fronting railway line. Turbine Hall built c1920. Neoclassical styling. Generally, soot blackened red brick above plinth of alternate stone and brick bands. Expressed terra-cotta string courses above windows and under gables. Pitched roofs with stone dressings to upstanding gables and distinctive shaped parapets. Diocletion window to lineside frontage masked by distinctive neon ?Brush? sign. Adjacent workshops with flat topped circular brick tower and shaped gables surmounting parapet, built c1900. Storey height metal framed fenestration.
All buildings somewhat disfigured by crude C20 interventions

Flying Phil

Established Member
Work on Witherslack Hall has continued and the repainting has started. It is planned to be running at the "Railways at Work" event Aug 19/20.
DSC02818.JPG

Meanwhile in Rothley C & W shed we have been steadily working on the black Private Owner liveried 16T mineral wagon and the new section of headstock is in place together with more internal body repair work.
DSC02819.JPG

DSC02821.JPG

This coming weekend (Aug 12/13) has the engine shed open for the "Boscastle Shed Tours", where visitors are given a guided tour through the shed to see the progress on the various locomotive overhauls. Tours are at regular intervals from 10.30 to 4 pm on Sat and Sunday. They are free, but donations to help fund Boscastle's overhaul are appreciated.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This coming weekend (Aug 12/13) has the engine shed open for the "Boscastle Shed Tours", where visitors are given a guided tour through the shed to see the progress on the various locomotive overhauls. Tours are at regular intervals from 10.30 to 4 pm on Sat and Sunday. They are free, but donations to help fund Boscastle's overhaul are appreciated.

That sounds interesting. Do the tours get quite busy?

Flying Phil

Established Member
That sounds interesting. Do the tours get quite busy?
Hi Cowley
It depends a lot on the weather! So we generally take groups of between 6 to 10 people at a time, depending on demand. There is a safety briefing, then look at what is outside (boiler work). Into the shed and walk up one aisle, 04 and Sir Lamiel, to the Black 5 and Boscastle, then back down past Oliver Cromwell, the Ivatt class 2 and Witherslack Hall. Talk and explain about various aspects that are on show. The level of detail dependant on the group.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi Cowley
It depends a lot on the weather! So we generally take groups of between 6 to 10 people at a time, depending on demand. There is a safety briefing, then look at what is outside (boiler work). Into the shed and walk up one aisle, 04 and Sir Lamiel, to the Black 5 and Boscastle, then back down past Oliver Cromwell, the Ivatt class 2 and Witherslack Hall. Talk and explain about various aspects that are on show. The level of detail dependant on the group.

There’s some pretty famous locos in that list I must say!