• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Ticket Sale courtesy of Grant Shapps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
An ‘Off Peak all week’ type offer won’t happen. Commuter traffic is building up again now and the income from that traffic is not going to be wiped out. And whilst the DfT are nominally in charge of the railway it is the Treasury who make the financial decisions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
No, because it revolves around Advance tickets.

Not what the sale is about.
Fair enough. I misunderstood a previous post. Edit: I didn't. It seems they must have been wrong or we're speculating

I doubt I will make much use of it as most of my journeys involve multiple TOCs in the south east.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Make sure you use a split ticketing site to get the best deal, as it looks like not all flows will have sale fares available.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Is there going to be new tier of advance fares, just like the £1 sale advance from northern?
Depends on the flow. Some are Advances (shown on BRFares with a price of £9998.00), others are discounts on walk-up fares.

Needless to say, no Staff Briefing has been issued on the subject as yet.

alistairlees

Established Member
Almost everything in the sale is Advance. Only one TOC, so far as I know, has Off-Peak fares in the sale. Anytime fares were never planned to be included.

Banham7

It does appear the ticket type for the sale is live on BRfares, just the price needs adjusting.

Attachments

• 125F2255-0178-46B6-8C7B-37EB5FA31982.jpeg
    125F2255-0178-46B6-8C7B-37EB5FA31982.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 152

Snow1964

Established Member
It does appear the ticket type for the sale is live on BRfares, just the price needs adjusting.

Interestingly it says no refunds, does that mean the train is guaranteed to operate.
The normal policy being if rail operator cancels can get a refund.

Or is the sale, pot luck if train actually runs, but taking your money anyway.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Almost everything in the sale is Advance. Only one TOC, so far as I know, has Off-Peak fares in the sale. Anytime fares were never planned to be included.
So absolutely no chance of a go-anywhere ticket then for a low maximum fare, like the German promotion.
I suppose the Welsh/Scottish versions (if they come) might be more flexible.
Discounted Rover/Ranger tickets would have been nice.

The Ts&Cs shown on the Avanti site (ATOC and Avanti) says Avanti's are Avanti-only, so no interoperability.
Quota-controlled, overall ticket limit (75,000 on Avanti), must be bought at least 1 day ahead.
Off-peak tickets will be offered on TOCs where Advances are not available.
On-line only, so Merseyrail won't be included!
The offer is for DfT TOCs only (ie excludes TfW and Scotrail - presumably they will have their own offer).

What a feeble offer.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interestingly the post-Great Heck promotion was half-price Off Peaks. Shame things have gone so far towards Advances these days. Not because it'll be poor value, but because it'd be nice to be able to use it to take an ad-hoc day trip rather than needing to buy months in advance to get one.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Shame things have gone so far towards Advances these days.
There is a real need to focus this promotion on flows where there is a) capacity and b) it does not cannibalise existing revenue.

Where there are operators close to having full trains at normal prices the last thing that should be happening is making them even more overloaded so advances it has to be.

Advances can often be bought on the day now in any case.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is a real need to focus this promotion on flows where there is a) capacity and b) it does not cannibalise existing revenue.

Where there are operators close to having full trains at normal prices the last thing that should be happening is making them even more overloaded so advances it has to be.

Yes, fair point.

Advances can often be bought on the day now in any case.

These ones will get snapped up quickly, so it's unlikely that will be an option. (I used one of Northern's pointless ones at the weekend - offering an Advance for Leeds to Shipley is just utterly stupid rather than reducing the regular fare, but it saved me about £2 and appeared to be available on almost all trains pretty much right up to departure, so I just grabbed one once I knew which train I was going to use - these ones aren't even a revenue grab as no other TOC offers a frequent service over that route if any at all).

ServerHoster

On many routes Northern had four "sale" tickets in tiers for 10p, 50p, £1 and £1.50, called "SALE ADVANCE". The top tier of £1.50 has been renamed to "GBR Sale", so it's possible that there will be another one of their £1 ticket sales, but instead it's £1.50.1649865757248.png

STINT47

I'm going to be annoyed if after buying advance tickets the same journey suddenly appears in this sale for a quid. I bet I won't get a partial refund despite publicity saying the earlier you book the cheaper the ticket.

I tend to agree that some TOCs and routes don't need it but if they're not included expect some bad publicity from those areas. My local routes with EMR cannot cope now. If they suddenly offer seats for a quid some people may need to sit on the roof.

Personally I would like to see the 1st class 14 day all line rover on sale for £100. That would sort me out when I take annual leave in May.:D

Last edited:

Banham7

Interestingly it says no refunds, does that mean the train is guaranteed to operate.
The normal policy being if rail operator cancels can get a refund.

Or is the sale, pot luck if train actually runs, but taking your money anyway.

GWR FAQ site for the event says Delay Repay during disruption applies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm going to be annoyed if after buying advance tickets the same journey suddenly appears in this sale for a quid. I bet I won't get a partial refund despite publicity saying the earlier you book the cheaper the ticket.

I tend to agree that some TOCs and routes don't need it but if they're not included expect some bad publicity from those areas. My local routes with EMR cannot cope now. If they suddenly offer seats for a quid some people may need to sit on the roof.

Personally I would like to see the 1st class 14 day all line rover on sale for £100. That would sort me out when I take annual leave in May.:D
The Book with Confidence scheme still applies for now, enabling you to get a voucher for your Advance if you choose to "refund" it no later than 6pm the night before.

Of course, if tickets under the new sale are vastly cheaper, you will have some amount left on your voucher, so you may need to see if you can use it over multiple transactions.

Starmill

Veteran Member
These ones will get snapped up quickly, so it's unlikely that will be an option.
It appears that the sale tickets will all have a booking deadline before the day of travel.

I guess that an Off Peak product was a requirement in order for Thameslink and Great Northern to publicise the sales. They're among the last places not to have Advances available.

I used one of Northern's pointless ones at the weekend - offering an Advance for Leeds to Shipley is just utterly stupid rather than reducing the regular fare, but it saved me about £2 and appeared to be available on almost all trains pretty much right up to departure, so I just grabbed one once I knew which train I was going to use - these ones aren't even a revenue grab as no other TOC offers a frequent service over that route if any at all
Northern allocate so many tickets that it's very unlikely for them to sell out. It's usually around 100 even for a two car train. They have started to make some changes e.g. the Hope Valley has had some trains blocked completely because of the number of people being left behind. They also don't appear to pull them on trains which are short formed, despite other operators doing that as soon as they hear which diagrams will be short early in the morning.

Last edited:

Alex365Dash

I guess that an Off Peak product was a requirement in order for Thameslink and Great Northern to publicise the sales. They're among the last places not to have Advances available.
Whilst Thameslink & Great Northern are indeed using the Off-Peak sale tickets, Thameslink have also been offering Advances on some of their flows.

Attachments

• 306DC909-9BA0-4B36-ABAE-6F7C96541513.jpeg
    306DC909-9BA0-4B36-ABAE-6F7C96541513.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 81

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Whilst Thameslink & Great Northern are indeed using the Off-Peak sale tickets, Thameslink have also been offering Advances on some of their flows.
Their choice of flows is rather bizarre at the moment. I assume it's just an intermediate step to wider enabling of Advances.

infobleep

Veteran Member
GWR FAQ site for the event says Delay Repay during disruption applies.
Do you have a link? I trumies guess work but it didn't work

I wonder if advances will be agilabkw for flows that currently don't have such things?

Status
Not open for further replies.