• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

webbstar11

I'm going into Manchester tomorrow, a week after having seen my first GA 720s in the flesh last Friday around Ilford and Stratford. However, I can't answer as to what it's doing up here.

mod note - for speculation as to whether Northern could do with a fleet of Class 720s see:

509 is the latest arrival at Ilford im told from Wembley weekend. Was delivered but had serious issues so returned to Derby or Woksop 2 years ago

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
509 is the latest arrival at Ilford im told from Wembley weekend. Was delivered but had serious issues so returned to Derby or Woksop 2 years ago
The low numbered 720/5s that have not been delivered yet are going to be the most "interesting" to see finished. They have lain around forgotten about for so long, a number of years not months !.

Railperf

Established Member
Oh. Tiger indicating a 5-car formation showing on that tonight! Unless it's a 2 x 755 combo with coaches locked out?

dk1

Veteran Member
Booked for a 745/1 tonight.

I witnessed 1P53 leaving Norwich tonight and it was an Airport unit.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There is an earlier post from November with a picture of it in service.
I had 720 128 for haulage on 20th November.

Now on 135, which I haven’t seen reported as entering service yet?
I had 720 135 on 12th December - after it having previously eluded me twice; it was out on 13th November but a signal failure foiled an attempt to bash it that day.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No difference at all; the /1s were originally going to be ( half as many ) ten car units.

Then they changed to all five cars but the numbering was by then set in stone because the /6 was used for the c2c units.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Begs the question though, if the pandemic hadn't have happened what state would GA be in, probably 720s cropping up everywhere
The 317s would have lasted a fair bit longer. July last year they struggled to cover five Stansted diagrams with 745s. There seems to be a booked pair of 720s on Stansted Express now. How many 745 diagrams are there (on both routes) and how many are they consistently turning out?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No difference at all; the /1s were originally going to be ( half as many ) ten car units.

Then they changed to all five cars but the numbering was by then set in stone because the /6 was used for the c2c units.
Not that they need to have their own subclass for what is twelve of exactly the same train :rolleyes: