• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie1014

Just wait till the INTERCITY Stadler & the 1st class punters get wind that they have NO toilets.

Yep in the plans published in Modern Railways the Stadler Intercity sets appear to have no toilets in First Class, to get to one you'll have to traipse through past the buffet counter and into the next Standard Class vehicle. Four coaches if you happen to be in the front First Class vehicle!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

321over360

Yep in the plans published in Modern Railways the Stadler Intercity sets appear to have no toilets in First Class, to get to one you'll have to traipse through past the buffet counter and into the next Standard Class vehicle. Four coaches if you happen to be in the front First Class vehicle!

Sounds like what standard class passengers in Coach H have to do anyway as either use the disabled or walk through a couple of coaches seeing as AGA decided to remove having a toilet at the end of each carriage which was a stupid mistake especially if it running on a busy service where every seat is occupied or in the peaks

dk1

Veteran Member
Sounds like what standard class passengers in Coach H have to do anyway as either use the disabled or walk through a couple of coaches seeing as AGA decided to remove having a toilet at the end of each carriage which was a stupid mistake especially if it running on a busy service where every seat is occupied or in the peaks

I don't think they had much choice as no room for CET that end. Remember coach H is the opposite way round to the rest of the vehicles in each set since the RFMs where converted.

Last edited:

Established Member
Specific (sub) fleets to be introduced:
5 car Bombradier Aventra Class 720/5
10 car Bombardier Aventra Class 720/1
12 car Stadler Flirt EMU (Norwich version) Class 745/0
12 car Stadler Flirt EMU (Stansted version) Class 745/1
4 car Stadlier Flirt Bi-Mode Class 755/4 (edited from /3)
3 car Stadler Flirt Bi-Mode Class 755/3 (edited from /4)
The above class numbers are what is going around...

Last edited:

Established Member
The 4 car as a /3 and the 3 as /4 is just stupid. Thrusting and dynamic as usual.

In fairness I think I've just ballsed typing that up and it should be the sensible option. Would have thought the same at the time. Can't check until Monday though.

Fuzzytop

I guess that there must be some suggestion to lock off a 'range' for each manufacturer's latest and greatest, but it's frustrating to think Class 755 is already being assigned. Unless the unused numbers are taken years down the line, surely they will run out of codes again soon?

Mountains out of molehills perhaps, but sequential TOPS codes and short unit numbers make things very simple for entry-level enthusiasts (and one must presume in the industry too?). Maybe I'm failing to look at the bigger picture, but the current methods seem much less sensible than the BR system of pretty much sequential class numbering?

Wivenswold

Established Member
321355/360/361 Now out and about and "Refreshed". Apart from the newer darker seat coverings, it appears to be the same job that they gave 321421-437 when they transferred from Bletchley a few years back, so I assume Clacton Depot are doing them again.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I guess that there must be some suggestion to lock off a 'range' for each manufacturer's latest and greatest, but it's frustrating to think Class 755 is already being assigned. Unless the unused numbers are taken years down the line, surely they will run out of codes again soon?

Mountains out of molehills perhaps, but sequential TOPS codes and short unit numbers make things very simple for entry-level enthusiasts (and one must presume in the industry too?). Maybe I'm failing to look at the bigger picture, but the current methods seem much less sensible than the BR system of pretty much sequential class numbering?

To be honest at this stage I assumed the class numbers were literally randomly generated. There's no logic to them whatsoever that I can see. The 6xx range never even ended up being used at all.

DasLunatic

To be honest at this stage I assumed the class numbers were literally randomly generated. There's no logic to them whatsoever that I can see. The 6xx range never even ended up being used at all.

I have a feeling 6xx will be used for battery multiple units, if ever they become a thing.

AC47461

321355/360/361 Now out and about and "Refreshed". Apart from the newer darker seat coverings, it appears to be the same job that they gave 321421-437 when they transferred from Bletchley a few years back, so I assume Clacton Depot are doing them again.

357 appears to have had one too. Lower panels inside are a very dark grey, new floor covering in the vestibules, hand rails look repainted (very shiny red). I assume it's had a 'deep clean' too.

TheEdge

Established Member
So some pictures have appeared internally of the external livery and provisional internal renders of the Flirts and Aventras.

No doubt they will come out publically sooner or later but suffice to say it does look like, while they are units, the intercity units are being fitted out very much as intercity stock. The rural units look tidy and internally the Aventra render looks like a very updated 321 interior.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I assume that confirms the 3+2 seating layout on the Aventras. Personally disappointed that the 1 hour 15 min journey into London won't be a more comfortable one with others wedged up against me, but it's fairer on commuters closer to the Smoke who struggle to get a seat on the way to work at the moment.

The greater good should rule over personal taste and all that.

MikePJ

I saw a story recently talking about the Aventras being in service sooner than was originally expected - i.e. before the Stadler trains. But I can't find it again now. Might have been in one of the magazines? Anyone?

Alfie1014

In the current edition of Rail GA are quoted as stating that the Aventras will be introduced into service from March 2019 with the Stadler fleet from May 2019. The latter needing longer to achieve authorisation due to the fact that they are new designs from a manufacturer new to the UK. The Aventras to be maintained (with the Crossrail and TfL) sets at Ilford.

Anyone know which services the Aventras will be introduced on?

Also anyone know which platforms will be extended on WestAnglia to accommodate 10 cars? Many platforms are 8 car max. If they are not extended presumably SDO will have to be introduced. Is a large increase in SDO on busy commuter routes encouraged / permitted nowadays?

Roast Veg

Established Member
No surprise the Stadler units have a complex approvals process, the design is remarkably unique.

coppercapped

Established Member
No surprise the Stadler units have a complex approvals process, the design is remarkably unique.

No...other way around! :cry:

It's the approvals process for anything which is complex...

...see the European Union Agency for Railways' website here.

Last edited:

AC47461

Anyone know which services the Aventras will be introduced on?

Also anyone know which platforms will be extended on WestAnglia to accommodate 10 cars? Many platforms are 8 car max. If they are not extended presumably SDO will have to be introduced. Is a large increase in SDO on busy commuter routes encouraged / permitted nowadays?

As far as I know for the GE side it'll be anything from Ipswich southwards (excluding the Sudbury branch obviously), with occasional visits to Norwich.

Roast Veg

Established Member
It's the approvals process for anything which is complex...

...see the European Union Agency for Railways' website here.

I was actually thinking about UK approvals specifically, but I have no knowledge as to what stage of approvals Stadler are encountering.

coppercapped

Established Member
I was actually thinking about UK approvals specifically, but I have no knowledge as to what stage of approvals Stadler are encountering.

That's the point. There are no UK approvals any more - they are all done according to the ERA processes.

And, apparently, there is no approval document any more either - all one receives is a letter of 'no objection' - or some such phrase!

Last edited:

Wivenswold

Established Member
As far as I know for the GE side it'll be anything from Ipswich southwards (excluding the Sudbury branch obviously), with occasional visits to Norwich.

Yes, that is pretty much what is being said. There may even be enough 4 car Stadlers to provide most of the service between London and Ipswich as 2 per day will be going to Lowestoft and most of the off-peak Ipswich EMU workings are being extended to Norwich to provide 3 trains per hour.

The smart money is on the 10 car Aventras filling-in the gaps.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I read the latest copy of Rail, I must say the digital signalling plan between Chelmsford and Liverpool Street looks interesting. I assume that means the end of Blocks and trains will have in-cab signals that allow closer running.

Legacy fleets were mentioned in the GA article. Can anyone expand on the principle? I'm assuming it means that a small number of old stock will be retained beyond full introduction of the new stock in case of any teething issues or unforeseen problems with the number of units ordered.

lordbusiness

I assume that confirms the 3+2 seating layout on the Aventras. Personally disappointed that the 1 hour 15 min journey into London won't be a more comfortable one with others wedged up against me, but it's fairer on commuters closer to the Smoke who struggle to get a seat on the way to work at the moment.

The greater good should rule over personal taste and all that.

The crazy thing is that the way towns on the GEML are expanding as more and more people move out of London, the new units will be just as rammed.

Chris125

Established Member
I read the latest copy of Rail, I must say the digital signalling plan between Chelmsford and Liverpool Street looks interesting. I assume that means the end of Blocks and trains will have in-cab signals that allow closer running.

I've not seen the article but I'd imagine they are proposing Level 2 which would retain blocks - however as each block does not need a corresponding lineside signal they can have more, shorter blocks and potentially increase capacity.

TheEdge

Established Member
The crazy thing is that the way towns on the GEML are expanding as more and more people move out of London, the new units will be just as rammed.

We return to the issues that no TOC can sort. They can only fit as much train as they can in the platforms or paths available.

And as has been discussed at great length both of those are issues, especially at the southern end of the GEML.

superalbs

Established Member
Some new renders of the FLIRT and Aventra trains have appeared on GA's website, with requests for comments on the design. The Stadlers certainly look very smart. I've already replied saying that the Aventras ought to have small tables (like the 365s) if possible.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/form/transforming-your-railway-with-new-trains

Stadler Flirt looks very much like the BR419 suwex internally.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7506/15901381267_8141bbf729_z.jpg

Overall the livery is quite nice, and the Stadler Flirts are looking excellent as you'd expect of Stadler, but the Aventra internally is awful! 2+3 of the Fainsa ironing board design? The least they could do is go for the one used on the Class 321 Renatus, made by a company with a name beginning with P.

Status
Not open for further replies.