• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I've got mine Monday! Anyone know what tests we'll sit at stage 1 with GA? I've got to do them again :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

digger42

Group bordon, TEA-OCC paper test. TRP paper test.
WAFV Vigilance test, reaction tests.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Group bordon, TEA-OCC paper test. TRP paper test.
WAFV Vigilance test, reaction tests.

Thanks a lot, are the interviews done separate? Do you find out if you pass/fail on the day or do they not send people home based on performance? I guess you've done it recently, if so - best of luck!!!

So Monday for me will be

Group Bourdon
TEA-Occ
TRP 1+2
WAFV
ATAVT
2 Hand Coordination?

Do they use the Driver Fault Finding Test?

Last edited:

james956

Good evening, I have been trying to no avail via the recruitment email to get an answer to a question regarding my application about being a trainee driver, last I heard was back in June/july when Claire emailed me to say there was a problem regarding there equipment and I will here in the near future about when I will be given an assessment date,
I have emailed GA recruitment a few times but I have had no reply to date.
Please could someone give me an email that they reply to.
Many thanks

Just reading this forum and saw your post. I had exactly the same problem, was told by GA that I had passed the application and that I was invited to an assessment in due course........3 months later they advertise again for trainee drivers. When I spoke to the recruitment team after MUCH trying they said I needed to apply again. I found this company to be appalling at how they dealt with recruitment but I'm glad they are so bad as it meant I applied with another TOC who have been excellent and I'm now due my managers interview shortly. My advice to you would be to apply elsewhere and don't waste any more time on the clown outfit that is GA! To anyone shortly sitting there stage 1, have GA not told you what tests you will be sitting or given you practice material?

SPADTrap

Established Member
Just reading this forum and saw your post. I had exactly the same problem, was told by GA that I had passed the application and that I was invited to an assessment in due course........3 months later they advertise again for trainee drivers. When I spoke to the recruitment team after MUCH trying they said I needed to apply again. I found this company to be appalling at how they dealt with recruitment but I'm glad they are so bad as it meant I applied with another TOC who have been excellent and I'm now due my managers interview shortly. My advice to you would be to apply elsewhere and don't waste any more time on the clown outfit that is GA! To anyone shortly sitting there stage 1, have GA not told you what tests you will be sitting or given you practice material?

I have been given the practice materials but it just details all of the tests without saying the order or what ones you will actually be given. A few times I've gone to assessments where the order differs and the tests slightly vary - just nicer to have word from someone who has sat the most recent assessment as not all the tests in the materials are actually used.

Last edited:

digger42

I have been given the practice materials, but it just details all of the tests without saying the order or what ones you will actually be given. A few times I've gone to assessments where the order differs and the tests slightly vary - just nicer to have word from someone who has sat the most recent assessment as not all the tests in the materials are actually used.

I was just giving a run down from the pratice materials and will be sitting mine on tuesday, first time for me.
let me know how you get on on monday , and what depot you applying for ?

SPADTrap

Established Member
I was just giving a run down from the pratice materials and will be sitting mine on tuesday, first time for me.
let me know how you get on on monday , and what depot you applying for ?

Fair enough! I would guess that's how they go then but I have emailed to ask about the interviews! Stortford or Cambridge! What about you?

james956

I sat the new style assessments with FGW, they done it in 2 stages, the 1st stage was the group bordon test, glop test, tea-occ, the dials and the written communication test. We got sent practice materials, its all fairly basic, just make sure you understand each test before you start. They've scrapped the mechanical comprehension. Practice the dots and it will be fine.

SPADTrap

Established Member
stortford for me closest to home. good luck on monday.

Stortford is closest for by road, but Cambridge is easier to access by rail so not totally sure which yet! You too for Tuesday! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Done all my assessments today, passed them all too! :D

andylee7

They are unbelievable, that sounds like good advice , what other toc did you go for?
And good luck with the other toc

james956

They are unbelievable, that sounds like good advice , what other toc did you go for?
And good luck with the other toc

I went with FGW, I applied late november and within a week I heard that I'd passed the application and several online tests and got an invite to a telephone interview. Since then I've sat all assessments and have my final interview next week, I can't believe how quick it has been!

So don't be put off by your experience with GA because it isn't normal for all TOC's to behave like that. FGW recruit quite regularly so I'm told, so just keep your eyes peeled mate, you will eventually get your shot. Good luck.

digger42

Failed assessments today, passed group bordon , part 1 of TRP but failed part 2 . annoyed with myself, got a bit muddled .
6 month wait and will apply again .

winchmore

Failed assessments today, passed group bordon , part 1 of TRP but failed part 2 . annoyed with myself, got a bit muddled .

Sorry to hear that digger. I failed mine too but on the group bourbon - 100% accurate but not quite enough lines. Just missed cut off! Like you say 6 months and try again :)

SPADTrap

Established Member

I did exactly the same the very first time I sat the assessments about 2 years ago, how did you muddle it?
Sorry to hear that digger. I failed mine too but on the group bourbon - 100% accurate but not quite enough lines. Just missed cut off! Like you say 6 months and try again :)

How many lines did you average out of interest? Was quite a variance when I spoke to the fellow candidates.

6 of the 8 were sent home following the GB and TRP which left us shaking in our boots so to speak! I was the only one to make it through the whole day and maintain above GA's higher cut off, anyone else make it through to the Manager's/Structured interviews?

Last edited:

digger42

I did exactly the same the very first time I sat the assessments about 2 years ago, how did you muddle it?

How many lines did you average out of interest? Was quite a variance when I spoke to the fellow candidates.

6 of the 8 were sent home following the GB and TRP which left us shaking in our boots so to speak! I was the only one to make it through the whole day and maintain above GA's higher cut off, anyone else make it through to the Manager's/Structured interviews?

I got about half way down the page on each of the 5 pages on group bordon.
was told I passed ok.
part 1 TRP the glop info I found easy and would be suprised if I answered more than 1 wrong.
got to part 2 TRP and I think I paid too much attention to the numerical values rather than solely the zones, ( only needing the numbers if two of the needles was in the same zone) hence slowed me down and I only answered around 20 of the 43 questions. which was told I was accurate but too slow.
Honestly dont think anyone would do 43 questions in the 8 mins but I should have done alot better. lesson learnt

HI winchmore,
did you sit the assesement this tuesday?

winchmore

I only done about 1/3 of the page because I stupidly focused on my accuracy. The frustrating part was that some of the others passed with a couple more lines than me but they weren't 100% accurate!! Doesn't seem right - do more but not be as accurate?? Live and learn!
No digger mine was a couple of weeks ago.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Just scheduled my interview for the 14th February, anyone else going to be there??

Best of luck to everyone!

SPADTrap

Established Member
Had my MMI today, not much to report beyond what the others already have, no indication as to whether I passed or failed which is the hardest bit! Anyone else had theirs recently? The other 3 there today for MMIs were all for GEML depots as was everyone on my assessments in January, haven't seen anyone else for the WA mainline depots yet!

Roy74

Hi SPADtrap, can I please ask what's the MMI? Also did I read you applied for Bishops Stortford, new to this but that's my nearest main town so was just wondering if there is frequently recruitment there? Sorry if this is obvious I'm just getting into this and have read many threads.
Thanks
Roy.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Hi SPADtrap, can I please ask what's the MMI? Also did I read you applied for Bishops Stortford, new to this but that's my nearest main town so was just wondering if there is frequently recruitment there? Sorry if this is obvious I'm just getting into this and have read many threads.
Thanks
Roy.

Hi Roy, the MMI or Multi Modal Interview is part of the train driver assessment process, usually done in the second part of the assessments after the psychometric tests and subject to passing them etc. Some TOCs do it on the same day as the other tests but this tends to vary between companies, I did it a few weeks later. It is the last part of the assessment that counts in the 'losing a life for failure' situation as you can only fail the assessments once and have another chance, two fails and you cannot be a train driver essentially! You'll get asked a set of competency questions along the lines of "Tell us about a time you've worked in an emergency or pressurised situation" and then the interviewer will usually expand on how you felt, what you did and why etc etc. Usually have about 6-7 questions to answer which follow a similar structure, they'll also add hypothetical questions in too.

Prior to this the last time I saw GA recruit trainees for the mainline was about a year ago maybe two, I'm sure there was a rather detailed thread about it here with a few members getting onto various courses for the WAML and GEML depot.

Best of luck with your hunt, GA seem like a really good company and I was impressed with what they were like when I went for assessments and interview, really looking forward to joining them! See you there! Haha
Just got the call from GA, passed the MMI so off to the Manager's Interview on a date to be arranged! Anyone else got news? So happy!!

Last edited:

SPADTrap

Established Member
Sorry to dig up this thread just wondering if anyone else is starting at Cambridge depot in November with me? Torturous wait! :D

st.ives

I applied for this at the time, having had already passed all the assessments. A few emails were exchanged with GA HR and I was told was told I would have to retake the DFFT test and would be given a date to take the test in due course.

It now seems people are being taken on, this is very disappointing. I have either been overlooked or misled by their HR dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.