• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gsm-r sg button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Rambo

Am I correct in my understanding that you need to push the sg button every time you come to stop at a red signal?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Yes, unless the reason is obvious or the wait is to be expected.

WrongRoad

With route and timetable knowledge you get to know what junctions etc you get held at regularly. Sometimes you have to give the signaller a reminder with the SG button if they haven’t lowered the level crossing barriers which will keep the protecting signal at Red

Sunset route

Established Member
I’m reliably informed that over use of the “SG” button results in a slower journey.

Llama

Established Member
That's what it stands for isn't it, Signal Green

ComUtoR

Established Member
Sooooo tempting....

However, If I press SG, get a pint of the usual, clear it.. What happens if I press SG again ? Does it send a second awaiting signal message ?

Sunset route

Established Member
Sooooo tempting....

However, If I press SG, get a pint of the usual, clear it.. What happens if I press SG again ? Does it send a second awaiting signal message ?

Yes and yes and yes and so on

LowLevel

Established Member
I’m reliably informed that over use of the “SG” button results in a slower journey.

Conversely when we've been sat at Newark Castle for half an hour and the bobby has clearly forgotten the barriers, would skillfully timed use of the SG which instantly seems to activate the wig wags and thus avoids the bobby having an O code chucked at them result in a veritable raft of green signals and a freshly brewed coffee awaiting us at Derby? :lol: No criticism, I know they can be working on other things but I do try and prevail on the driver not to wait 2 minutes if the barriers don't drop to try and avoid the poor sod on the workstation picking up delay minutes.

island

Veteran Member
It's a very long-running rule that the driver of a train stopped at a signal showing danger must alert the signaller to its presence, unless a white diamond appears by the signal. Supposed to reduce accidents caused by signallers forgetting about trains. They can wait a couple of minutes if there is an obvious reason for the red.

dk1

Veteran Member
Crazes me that some of my colleagues press the button every time they stop regardless off common sense.

Stigy

Established Member
Crazes me that some of my colleagues press the button every time they stop regardless off common sense.
Our TOC’s instruction is to press it immediately if you come to a stand rather than waiting 2 minutes, however common sense usually prevails nonetheless.

dk1

Veteran Member
Our TOC’s instruction is to press it immediately if you come to a stand rather than waiting 2 minutes, however common sense usually prevails nonetheless.
I'm also shocked I wrote 'off' instead of 'of' Grrrr!!

Railweigh

Most of the time your knowledge of routes and timetables tells you why you’re being stopped, so there’s no point pressing SG straight away.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Our TOC’s instruction is to press it immediately if you come to a stand rather than waiting 2 minutes.

Likewise, but I will only press it once per signal and not repeatedly.

I have also been informed by a DTM that it helps with attributing delay, as Nitwit Rail will use the absence of an SG press as evidence that the delay was not due to their actions. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it’s what I’ve been told.

TheEdge

Established Member

I have also been informed by a DTM that it helps with attributing delay, as Nitwit Rail will use the absence of an SG press as evidence that the delay was not due to their actions. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it’s what I’ve been told.

I've heard variations on that one. As soon as a GSMR terminal gets a stood at signal message then it becomes NRs problem/delay.

83G/84D

Established Member
If the signaller isn't too busy doing other duties surely they would speak to you or send contact signaller more or less as soon as you get to the signal at red. Failing that send "wait".

High Dyke

Established Member
That's what it stands for isn't it, Signal Green
Or "Stop Griping".
Conversely when we've been sat at Newark Castle for half an hour and the bobby has clearly forgotten the barriers, would skillfully timed use of the SG which instantly seems to activate the wig wags and thus avoids the bobby having an O code chucked at them result in a veritable raft of green signals and a freshly brewed coffee awaiting us at Derby? :lol: No criticism, I know they can be working on other things but I do try and prevail on the driver not to wait 2 minutes if the barriers don't drop to try and avoid the poor sod on the workstation picking up delay minutes.
I did try to get a TRTS (Train Ready To Start) button fitted at Newark Castle, when they got rid of us locals. However, the project management thought they knew best and didn't think it necessary.
It annoys me when it says wait and you do wait with no explanation. At least on a SPT you (hopefully) got an answer.
In some cases, like a regulating point, it may be obvious. I usually give a driver a call if the wait may be longer than expected or where it may involve a delay to the train.

dk1

Veteran Member

More of an old wives tail. The delay will be attributed to the original cause eventually.

High Dyke

Established Member
More of an old wives tail. The delay will be attributed to the original cause eventually.
Or lost in an unrelated delay. Now that annoys me! Especially when signallers in the relevant area aren't asked about a delay. However, that's a different soapbox discussion

LowLevel

Established Member
High Dyke said:
I did try to get a TRTS (Train Ready To Start) button fitted at Newark Castle, when they got rid of us locals. However, the project management thought they knew best and didn't think it necessary.

You would have thought it a no brainer, especially with the turn back facility for the bang road move from the up platform as well but hey ho, what do we know.

High Dyke

Established Member
You would have thought it a no brainer, especially with the turn back facility for the bang road move from the up platform as well but hey ho, what do we know.
Good grief! Project managers can't have suggestions from people that actually know what they're talking about. Far too easy. :s

O L Leigh

Established Member

I’m touched by your faith in the system. I can’t be the only driver who has been asked to account for a delay that originated with being stood at a red signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.