• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR mass cancellations - 18th November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Since mid-afternoon today, a large number of Thameslink services have been cancelled, at short notice, due to staff unavailability (according to the TL Twitter feed and website).

Crew resourcing issues on GTR at weekends are familiar, but why have they abruptly found themselves short of dozens of drivers on a dark Thursday in November, outside the school holidays?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

21C101

Established Member
Since mid-afternoon today, a large number of Thameslink services have been cancelled, at short notice, due to staff unavailability (according to the TL Twitter feed and website).

Crew resourcing issues on GTR at weekends are familiar, but why have they abruptly found themselves short of dozens of drivers on a dark Thursday in November, outside the school holidays?
Usually this happens when they get offered a 0% pay rise and simultaneously and unconnectedly go off the idea of working any overtime

Bishopstone

Established Member
Usually this happens when they get offered a 0% pay rise and simultaneously and unconnectedly go off the idea of working any overtime

If true, looks like a large number of duties are covered by overtime!

Attachments

• B8F8174D-A21F-42F8-9FD3-3A74F019F59B.png
    B8F8174D-A21F-42F8-9FD3-3A74F019F59B.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 214

ExRes

Established Member
Even as a non twitter user it's taken me 2 minutes to find out, from twitter, that "there's been a minor power issue which has affected a trains pantograph at City Thameslink"

Bishopstone

Established Member
Even as a non twitter user it's taken me 2 minutes to find out, from twitter, that "there's been a minor power issue which has affected a trains pantograph at City Thameslink"

That’s not the reason that Thameslink have been giving for their mass cancellations since this afternoon.

Attachments

• 47FDFA59-EC36-49CF-AC38-EFBAE9D1B95C.png
    47FDFA59-EC36-49CF-AC38-EFBAE9D1B95C.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 208

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Isn't there usually a problem with the need to take annual leave on a 'use it or lose it' basis around this time of the year?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Isn't there usually a problem with the need to take annual leave on a 'use it or lose it' basis around this time of the year?
Yes as usual the railway using antiquated and inflexible working practices. Force drivers to take leave or lose it rather than them carry it over to Jan when most TOC's have no rostered leave and are less short of drivers.

driverd

Yes as usual the railway using antiquated and inflexible working practices. Force drivers to take leave or lose it rather than them carry it over to Jan when most TOC's have no rostered leave and are less short of drivers.

Or even just offer to buy the leave back if desperate, as many other industries do.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Yesterday was also a record number of new COVID cases. Sickness will continue to bite and affect train crew availability.

JKF

Yesterday was also a record number of new COVID cases. Sickness will continue to bite and affect train crew availability.
I presume there will be a number of critical rail staff out with medium/long Covid symptoms. The tiredness and ‘brain fog’ can last for weeks in normal cases or months with long Covid, which will not allow the kind of attentiveness needed for driving/signalling work. I didn’t drive my car for a few weeks when affected and still after 6/7 weeks wouldn’t consider a long drive.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

Seems to be in reasonable shape today so far with only a handful cancelled. By and large the service has been reasonable when it hasn't been impacted by incidents on my route anyhow.

MikeWM

Established Member

ExRes

Established Member
It's just over 11 years since I last travelled on Thameslink, how good to see that nothing has been done to recruit sufficient Drivers to run a service without expecting them to work over or outside their contractual hours, I mean there's just nobody out there wanting to become Drivers, are there? never mind though everybody should just carry on blaming the wrong people because it's the easy thing to do, as for forcing staff to take their leave, I lost count of the times that leave was refused because of shortages thanks solely to insufficient staffing levels

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
It's just over 11 years since I last travelled on Thameslink, how good to see that nothing has been done to recruit sufficient Drivers to run a service without expecting them to work over or outside their contractual hours, I mean there's just nobody out there wanting to become Drivers, are there? never mind though everybody should just carry on blaming the wrong people because it's the easy thing to do, as for forcing staff to take their leave, I lost count of the times that leave was refused because of shortages thanks solely to insufficient staffing levels
In the main its just the HRH-PBO service that has suffered and only in late afternoon today other service groups running with very cancelled so far.

My recollection is HRH-PBO were covered by creating new Thameslink depots from former Southern and GN drivers so presumably there are less of them to go round. I can understand this being an issue at HRH but as GN drivers already cover 700's you would have thought it would be less of an issue on the GN but no doubt despite its same franchise they don't cross cover.

westcoaster

Established Member
I guess this is because these service groups aren't run out of Three Bridges so are drivers on old T&Cs and they need RDW cover?
All drivers have the same t&C's no matter the depot. Only a few small points on Sunday commitments.

A point on annual leave. There is a fixed number of drivers allowed leave each day. Once that number is reached no more drivers will be permitted leave.

Sleepy

Established Member
All drivers have the same t&C's no matter the depot. Only a few small points on Sunday commitments.

A point on annual leave. There is a fixed number of drivers allowed leave each day. Once that number is reached no more drivers will be permitted leave.
So if for example a depot has 10 vacancies and it falls that 8 diagrams were due to be worked by them today, add in rostered annual leave and sickness and not many volunteers for overtime because partners want to go Christmas shopping etc. and bingo you've lots of uncovered duties.

iphone76

In the main its just the HRH-PBO service that has suffered and only in late afternoon today other service groups running with very cancelled so far.

My recollection is HRH-PBO were covered by creating new Thameslink depots from former Southern and GN drivers so presumably there are less of them to go round. I can understand this being an issue at HRH but as GN drivers already cover 700's you would have thought it would be less of an issue on the GN but no doubt despite its same franchise they don't cross cover.
Not all GN drivers sign Class 700s. This may also be part of the issue as some spare drivers cannot cover. (At the moment)

MikeWM

Established Member
Doesn't look mich worse than usual at Kings Cross - except for both the 2042 and 2112 to north of Cambridge being cancelled, forcing me to leave London earlier than I'd like :(

ungreat

You need to also take into account not every GN driver signs Horsham..so even if fully staffed it can still be a problem

Only Horsham and Peterborough drivers sign end to end Horsham to Peterborough (and not all do sign yet). Cambridge drivers sign Brighton but not to Horsham or past Hitchin to Peterborough . Cross cover can involve 3 to 4 drivers covering one trip.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It does appear that the opportunity ought to be taken to cut back the base level of Thameslink service to what can actually be provided with one or more of the service groups binned. With the capacity of the 700s, a missing train doesn't really cause an overcrowding issue at most times.

MikeWM

Established Member
In possibly the least surprising announcement ever, Great Northern/Thameslink are already warning of driver shortages tomorrow 'across the whole network'. On the last Saturday before Christmas? Who could have guessed that would happen?

They actually also point out that 'Services are expected to be busier than usual as it's the last weekend to squeeze in some last-minute Christmas shopping.' Err, yes, that's why it would be quite nice if you actually ran the services in your timetable.

Robcuk

Thursday pm shift would be the hardest to cover if turns are uncovered due to sickness, leave, training etc..... This is due to the shift that are not working will be due in the next day in the morning so they cannot work Thurs p.m and have the required 12 hours off.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
In possibly the least surprising announcement ever, Great Northern/Thameslink are already warning of driver shortages tomorrow 'across the whole network'. On the last Saturday before Christmas? Who could have guessed that would happen?

They actually also point out that 'Services are expected to be busier than usual as it's the last weekend to squeeze in some last-minute Christmas shopping.' Err, yes, that's why it would be quite nice if you actually ran the services in your timetable.

What is your proposed solution for a sudden spike in absence caused by Covid related illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.