• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Chuchu

;)So it goes:
1 GTR Questionnaire
2 SJT
3 Mini Scaat
4 Psychometric Assessments
5 DMI
6 MMI

Sorry, I probably should have stated, I'm from a recruitment drive back at the start of last year and have completed all stages.
So they do DMI before MMI, that's good to know beforehand. Thanks ! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe-7

There's a guy who is literally just in front of me and he's got an assessment day in Croydon. So full on tests like you'll do in the mini Scaat. After that who knows. When you doing your mini scaat? Southern or Thameslink? Best of luck
Thanks for the reply I’ll do the Mini scaat tonight! Hopefully goes well

Thanks for le
So it goes:
1 GTR Questionnaire
2 SJT
3 Mini Scaat
5 DMI
6 MMI

Sorry, I probably should have stated, I'm from a recruitment drive back at the start of last year and have completed all
So it goes:
1 GTR Questionnaire
2 SJT
3 Mini Scaat
5 DMI
6 MMI

Sorry, I probably should have stated, I'm from a recruitment drive back at the start of last year and have completed all stages.
Thanks for letting us know, I thought after the Mini scaat you get and interview and start training

MistaMatthews

Thanks for le

Thanks for letting us know, I thought after the Mini scaat you get and interview and start training

No, I'm afraid There's quite a bit more. And if I'm honest, first 3 stages are not difficult. Last 3 stages, the pressure is on a lot more.

Wroyal

Hello, I just got mine too, invited to online miniSCAAT. I was wondering if anyone could give any clues eg: is it a "dots" ?

Chao888

Hello All new here just join as I also apply for all 4 GTR vacancies Good Luck to all

Hello, I just got mine too, invited to online miniSCAAT. I was wondering if anyone could give any clues eg: is it a "dots" ?
Just done mine today its not dots I had number and letters for example will ask you to cross of from Row 1 Columns 3,5,7,8, etc and then on the next one it will ask you cross off all the Capital A on the row then write the numbers on there.

Wroyal

Appreciate your quick response Chao. How long would it take to complete the test and is there any practice material apart the once been send?

joshuan542

Mini SCAAT is the shapes and letters test, I completed this last year and then recently did the group Bourdon, opinions vary but I found the SCAAT far harder than group Bourdon

Thanks for le

Sadly not, there’s a long journey ahead yet mini SCAAT is probably the easiest part, it gets harder and even then you will be battling to even get past the interviews and get possibly out into a talent pool which can last a few years depending

Chao888

Appreciate your quick response Chao. How long would it take to complete the test and is there any practice material apart the once been send?
Yep there is a pratice test before you take the real deal so practice until you are confident but yes the actual twst is timed so I went the guidelines on how to take it which was around 1 minute per scenario.

ExFlyer84

So it goes:
1 GTR Questionnaire
2 SJT
3 Mini Scaat
5 DMI
6 MMI
Hi All, I had exactly the same as above for Southern. I applied in Feb19, passed MMI in Jul20 and have been in a talent pool awaiting medical/training course since then. Its a very long process but stick at it.

Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear results from the paper sift, SJT and MiniSCAAT.

Jay_Southern

Hi all, just passed my SJT and have mini SCAAT to do. Have actually passed Group bourdon for another role... but still need to do SCAAT. From what I can see it’s mainly Letters and shapes. Has anyone found any good practice material?
I found one from OPC which gave 15,20 & 25 secs for each set, found it OK, but remember GB allowing you slightly more time. Does anyone know how long the Mini SCAAT gives you for each question?

Chuchu

Hi all, just passed my SJT and have mini SCAAT to do. Have actually passed Group bourdon for another role... but still need to do SCAAT. From what I can see it’s mainly Letters and shapes. Has anyone found any good practice material?
I found one from OPC which gave 15,20 & 25 secs for each set, found it OK, but remember GB allowing you slightly more time. Does anyone know how long the Mini SCAAT gives you for each question?
Look above, at what @Chao888 said aboout the mini SCAAT. Good luck ! ;)

Chuchu

Altough, it seems to be different tests, if what @Chao888 says is right. I've done mine and it was letters like the practice tests from opc. Now the waiting game begins :D

Jay_Southern

Yeah the waiting for all of it is horrible, but according to what others on here have said, sadly it looks like just the beginning. But best of luck to everyone!

micker001

I just think they wait for a few to fail and then introduce another batch of people. The reason we are waiting is because the positions haven't been filled.

That is the only logic I can find. I'm still on application stage. Some of the others have had 2 online tests. They will see how far they go and if 10 positions that they are looking for get filled, everyone at application stage will get an unsuccessful email.

The ones who have already had a unsuccessful reply might have made a spelling mistake or have to far to travel. It could be anything really that a computer has picked up. Just my take on things. I don't actually have any inside information or anything.

joshuan542

I just think they wait for a few to fail and then introduce another batch of people. The reason we are waiting is because the positions haven't been filled.

That is the only logic I can find. I'm still on application stage. Some of the others have had 2 online tests. They will see how far they go and if 10 positions that they are looking for get filled, everyone at application stage will get an unsuccessful email.

The ones who have already had a unsuccessful reply might have made a spelling mistake or have to far to travel. It could be anything really that a computer has picked up. Just my take on things. I don't actually have any inside information or anything.
By the way it's a total of 160 positions in this drive, approx an equal amount across the 3 TOC's

micker001

By the way it's a total of 160 positions in this drive, approx an equal amount across the 3 TOC's
Yes I was just giving an example. I hope I'm wrong and everyone get a chance to get through. I just Don't see them doing more tests than they need to.

20atthemagnet

I hate this waiting. We best get used to it :rolleyes:

Yes I was just giving an example. I hope I'm wrong and everyone get a chance to get through. I just Don't see them doing more tests than they need to.

Well exactly this. Why would any company in the current climate organise such things do training etc unless it was operationally imperative? For most tocs its most certainly not.

As I and other have pointed out. Recruiting for trainees doesn’t necessarily mean vaccancy. Unfortunately people get the idea that they apply for position and it means they are ready to be taken tommorow. 9/10 times thats isnt the case. Companies will often look ahead at what they think they think they will need based on drivers moving on/progressing/retiring. Most of the depots people have hopes of going to have full compliments already or a few gaps. With the reduction in service across the board nowhere is desperate for drivers. My roster has several vacancies but we get by easily covering with with rest day work. I dont wanna be a debbie downer but im reading several “when when when” posts. They reality is when you apply for such a position in such a climate you need to be prepared to be in it for a the long haul. They will go at whatever pace they feel like, which more often than not is the pace of a snail, even without a pandemic. Dont be suprised if you dont hear anything for extended periods.

As an example, my friend applied for GA 2 years ago, and they sent an assessment 1 year after, which was taken and then went on hold for another year. Still waiting. So dont think having no news is strange/disheartening, you arent alone, however annoying it may seem. When I started 12 years ago was much the same, by the time they got back to me I had started a completely different job and the call to do assessments was completely out of the blue, wasnt even sure if I wanted to go things had moved on so much. The replies will come eventually. Just be patient.

Perhaps TOCs should specify this their adverts. Would save alot of frustration.

Wroyal

Hi jay, it is a around minute per slide.

Joliver

Well exactly this. Why would any company in the current climate organise such things do training etc unless it was operationally imperative? For most tocs its most certainly not.

As I and other have pointed out. Recruiting for trainees doesn’t necessarily mean vaccancy. Unfortunately people get the idea that they apply for position and it means they are ready to be taken tommorow. 9/10 times thats isnt the case. Companies will often look ahead at what they think they think they will need based on drivers moving on/progressing/retiring. Most of the depots people have hopes of going to have full compliments already or a few gaps. With the reduction in service across the board nowhere is desperate for drivers. My roster has several vacancies but we get by easily covering with with rest day work. I dont wanna be a debbie downer but im reading several “when when when” posts. They reality is when you apply for such a position in such a climate you need to be prepared to be in it for a the long haul. They will go at whatever pace they feel like, which more often than not is the pace of a snail, even without a pandemic. Dont be suprised if you dont hear anything for extended periods.

As an example, my friend applied for GA 2 years ago, and they sent an assessment 1 year after, which was taken and then went on hold for another year. Still waiting. So dont think having no news is strange/disheartening, you arent alone, however annoying it may seem. When I started 12 years ago was much the same, by the time they got back to me I had started a completely different job and the call to do assessments was completely out of the blue, wasnt even sure if I wanted to go things had moved on so much. The replies will come eventually. Just be patient.

I'd echo what's being said here. When I did my driver training (another London based TOC), there were people on my course who'd been in the process for over 2 years. I got 'lucky', from my application to course, I waited 7 months. This was all pre Covid too. I should imagine things will be a lot slower now.

Be prepared to wait a minimum of 12 months.

Last edited:

Jay_Southern

Yeah you are absolutely right. As much as I am as guilty of wondering when it will happen (I am just inpatient ).
As for the vacancy/pandemic situation, there are already 160 vacancies across GTR. The majority of these will be filled by the “current talent pool” (people who as you say may have applied over a year ago). But they will still be predicting future needs ie retirements. As others have mentioned I don’t think they would go through all of this without good cause. Once we over this pandemic, the train service will go back to normal, even if passenger numbers don’t. This means they still need the normal amount of drivers in the future.
Either way, patience is key here I think. As much as we are all excited about this potential role, they will only fill vacancies as and when.

Gorlash1886

Indeed I fully agree I applied for my TOC in 2018, got invited to an assessment day in July 2020 which I was surprised about as frankly I had forgotten applying. I'm now employed as a trainee driver waiting to get back in for traction which is on hold.

kaydi

Hello , hope you are all well , I'd like to ask about the miniscaat test, I have downloaded the practice material, and would like to ask , when i do the actual test how many target shapes are we expected to cross out in the required time?, I know it is as much as you can but what is the benchmark , half ? or more etc .. thankyou

Chuchu

I don't think anyone knows exactly what the benchmark is as I've seen various numbers of rows claimed to be the minimum for a pass. Make sure you get a good night sleep, do your best and hope for good news in return :D. Good luck !

joshuan542

Hello , hope you are all well , I'd like to ask about the miniscaat test, I have downloaded the practice material, and would like to ask , when i do the actual test how many target shapes are we expected to cross out in the required time?, I know it is as much as you can but what is the benchmark , half ? or more etc .. thankyou
There is no known benchmark only the OPC/TOC tend to know this