• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

LewesTom

I saw this...I'm a signaller and love my job, but still is very tempting!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gooner265

Yeah I wondered if I should apply for Thameslink and also Southern. Did you just put same answers in both? - assuming same questions were asked in each application form.
I just applied for Thameslink , all the links take you to the same website so presume you only have to apply once, there's nowhere to state your preference?

Javelin_55

I just applied for Thameslink , all the links take you to the same website so presume you only have to apply once, there's nowhere to state your preference?
I suspect they'll focus on getting people into the talent pool first and then work out where everyone belongs when vacancies actually arise at the various depots.

Class2ldn

Well thing is the terms and conditions and roster etc differs depending on who your with.
Personally I think TL is better but maybe others will disagree lol

Economist

Well thing is the terms and conditions and roster etc differs depending on who your with.
Personally I think TL is better but maybe others will disagree lol

Do Southern have different contracts for people who started before/after a certain date (except protected staff)? I'm aware that post-2017 TL drivers have quite a few things that are worse than their pre-2017 counterpart.

Will be interesting to see if they consider qualified drivers, especially from the blue lot next door.

micker001

I've put my application in twice. I'm hopeful but probably live to far away. Good luck everyone who applied. Its an amazing opportunity for someone.

whoosh

Established Member
Do Southern have different contracts for people who started before/after a certain date (except protected staff)? I'm aware that post-2017 TL drivers have quite a few things that are worse than their pre-2017 counterpart.

Will be interesting to see if they consider qualified drivers, especially from the blue lot next door.

I don't think anything is different for new drivers at Southern after their last multi-year deal.

==========

As for Thameslink and Great Northern, the only changes for the worse for new drivers are:

•A commitment to work 12 Sundays a year (although you can get another Driver to work any number of these for you). It's 8 for Drivers pre-2017.
•And there isn't a taxi agreement to get to and from work before 0500 or after 0100 if there is no train service to/from your local station. (This condition had been introduced for pre-2017 drivers when duties became allowed to be booked on/off between those hours following a pay deal some years ago, as they hadn't previously).

I'm pretty sure that's it.

Diesel1985

I don't think anything is different for new drivers at Southern after their last multi-year deal.

==========

As for Thameslink and Great Northern, the only changes for the worse for new drivers are:

•A commitment to work 12 Sundays a year (although you can get another Driver to work any number of these for you). It's 8 for Drivers pre-2017.
•And there isn't a taxi agreement to get to and from work before 0500 or after 0100 if there is no train service to/from your local station. (This condition had been introduced for pre-2017 drivers when duties became allowed to be booked on/off between those hours following a pay deal some years ago, as they hadn't previously).

This article still mentions the taxi agreement?

Thanks

dev_27

Hello folks, I am from aviation background and applying for trainee train driver role.
M struggling to answer last question Abt unhappy customer for train delay. Any expert can throw some light or share any tips? As I have no idea what happens in railway,

joshuan542

Hello folks, I am from aviation background and applying for trainee train driver role.
M struggling to answer last question Abt unhappy customer for train delay. Any expert can throw some light or share any tips? As I have no idea what happens in railway,
What sort of aviation background?

387star

On Moderation

==========

Which isn't bad really though no taxis would have killed me with my commute

choochoochoo

Established Member

==========

Taxi Agreement is for finishes after 0000 (not 0100) thankfully. Also if you have to wait more than one hour after your booked finish time for a train from your depot they'll get you a taxi. (Or if the first train to your depot arrives more than an hour before your booked start time, you can get a taxi too).

And in lieu of rail replacement buses too.

387star

On Moderation
Taxi Agreement is for finishes after 0000 (not 0100) thankfully. Also if you have to wait more than one hour after your booked finish time for a train from your depot they'll get you a taxi. (Or if the first train to your depot arrives more than an hour before your booked start time, you can get a taxi too).

And in lieu of rail replacement buses too.
I asked for a taxi once when there were replacement buses and got turned down. Drove in that time!

387star

On Moderation
The pay offer for DOO isn't worth it for me...
Sorry is this a joke ? You get your key anyway you can. It's not that bad with modern traction unless you're at an intensive metro depot. If you have to delay the train to deal with people setting off smoke alarms or a call for aid going off it's not your problem

Economist

Thank you all for the info, I'm tempted to make a few enquiries and see how it goes.

B1990

So it’s ok to apply for more then one? For instance I’ve applied for great northern but discovered southern is closer to home... will each application be viewed separately?

Diesel1985

It also mentions First Group lower down the page!

Taxi agreement is for pre-2017 Drivers.

Unfortunately, ASLEF's housekeeping regarding keeping the Company Information pages up to date and accurate is found wanting.
Thank you for your reply. So if a driver were to start at Barnham, then finish after midnight (or whenever the last train is) at a different station, how do they get back to Barnham? Or do you always start and finish at the same station when starting your shift early or finishing late?

Class2ldn

Your duty will always have you finishing at your home depot. How you get home from there is up to you.
Generally on tl they don't keep tabs so if you need a taxi they'll get one sorted

Last edited:

DonkeyKong

Thank you for your reply. So if a driver were to start at Barnham, then finish after midnight (or whenever the last train is) at a different station, how do they get back to Barnham? Or do you always start and finish at the same station when starting your shift early or finishing late?

Staff taxi

MatthewLdn

I’ve been thinking about applying, however, I currently have a live application with another toc, having passed all the assessments and dmi, bar the mmi, to a standard level. Not sure whether to risk my current application, because if I fail the enhanced tests, will that override my previous passes? I’m not sure whether to sit tight and wait or take a chance with this application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DonkeyKong

You're passed assessments should be valid on other TOCS. They're nationally recognised. You wouldn't need to retake them unless the time limit has expired from when you passed them.

baz962

Established Member
You're passed assessments should be valid on other TOCS. They're nationally recognised. You wouldn't need to retake them unless the time limit has expired from when you passed them.
I believe Thameslink require enhanced and the person you quoted said that they passed to standard. They may well have to redo them , if Thameslink want a higher pass.

MatthewLdn

I believe Thameslink require enhanced and the person you quoted said that they passed to standard. They may well have to redo them , if Thameslink want a higher pass.
Is it the same tests and the enhanced level is just based on a higher score?