• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

REO Nate

Good luck to everyone waiting in the talent pool, been in the talent pool since June for GN… I know of someone who got the job 2 months after me and has received a start date for March! I won’t hold my breath anymore seeing as they don’t respond to emails
Was that for a different depot though? Some depots have a greater need over others.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seanwillis

Was that for a different depot though? Some depots have a greater need over others.
Same depot hornsey.. it’s beyond me on the way they pick who from the talent Pool is given a start date first, I’m just very confused as to how I can get the job before someone else and they start before me :s:s mind boggling

Twotwo

Same depot hornsey.. it’s beyond me on the way they pick who from the talent Pool is given a start date first, I’m just very confused as to how I can get the job before someone else and they start before me :s:s mind boggling

Possibly could have scored higher then you in the DMI?

REO Nate

Yeah that is weird.

Seanwillis

Possibly could have scored higher then you in the DMI?
Oh really the scores are a factor into who gets the role first? Wow

I would have surely thought someone who was gput in the talent pool first would have been out first

:lol: there are a lot of politics within the railway lol

lawtoni

I would have surely thought someone who was gput in the talent pool first would have been out first

there are a lot of politics within the railwIay lol

It really isn't

choochoochoo

Established Member

Why would you think that ?

If you have two candidates and one completed the assessments to a higher standard, why would you not choose them first ? Irrespective of when you tested them.

Seanwillis

If you have two candidates and one completed the assessments to a higher standard, why would you not choose them first ? Irrespective of when you tested them.
Well it was a massive recruitment drive I did not know the terms and conditions to being in the talent pool plus I did not know scores were taken into account … end of the day of two candidates were told they passed surely it’s reasonable to think the candidate that passed first would be put the talent pool first as my psychometric test would be first to expire

choochoochoo

Established Member
Well it was a massive recruitment drive I did not know the terms and conditions to being in the talent pool plus I did not know scores were taken into account … end of the day of two candidates were told they passed surely it’s reasonable to think the candidate that passed first would be put the talent pool first as my psychometric test would be first to expire

It's not guaranteed that it is scores that determine priority. There may be a algorithm that takes into account scores/proximity to depot and other parameters when deciding who to invite next.

Why would the TOC care if your psychometrics expire ? They have plenty of others in the pool with valid psychometrics. Expiring psychometrics are candidates problem not a recruiters.

But to me it would make sense to prioritise recruitment scores. There have been numerous times where candidates have interviewed in other roles and have got a sorry letter saying 'you did really well but we have decided to recruit someone more suitable'. This is on a similar line to that. I'd be grateful that I'm still in consideration.

Gorlash1886

To be fair a talent pool means you have met their expectations, however until you are in receipt of a contract you haven't got the job sorry if that bursts a bubble.

Driver_wife

GTR have said it has nothing to do with scores - as if you pass you’re in a pool - but it does have to do with time you passed - but also distance.. if you’re an hour away from the depot, they will likely give someone who is 5 minutes away a position before you. That’s how it’s been explained to me anyway from HR themselves

Seanwillis

It's not guaranteed that it is scores that determine priority. There may be a algorithm that takes into account scores/proximity to depot and other parameters when deciding who to invite next.

Why would the TOC care if your psychometrics expire ? They have plenty of others in the pool with valid psychometrics. Expiring psychometrics are candidates problem not a recruiters.

But to me it would make sense to prioritise recruitment scores. There have been numerous times where candidates have interviewed in other roles and have got a sorry letter saying 'you did really well but we have decided to recruit someone more suitable'. This is on a similar line to that. I'd be grateful that I'm still in consideration.
So if the scores aren’t a guaranteed priority what’s the point here ? It’s not about them caring mate it was just a genuine thought I was sharing my experience with the thread as other people also have Thank you for the reality check though :s
GTR have said it has nothing to do with scores - as if you pass you’re in a pool - but it does have to do with time you passed - but also distance.. if you’re an hour away from the depot, they will likely give someone who is 5 minutes away a position before you. That’s how it’s been explained to me anyway from HR themselves
Thank you this has helped me gained a better understanding of what could have been happening as I’ve had minimal communication from GTR

MichaelT

Yep this is inaccurate it has nothing to do with scores but talent pool waiting times vary the unfortunate reality is that you could be waiting years for a start date, All the best same way I would stay optimistic!

Has anyone who has started their training with GTR got anything to share I would love to know how your training is going let’s share some positivity!

lawtoni

I’ve been a trainee driver at Hornsby for a few months now.
A couple of observation, firstly it’s brilliant.
Secondly, I’m really not sure geography is prioritised. Several of us are not particularly close to our future depots and did not spend long in the talent pool.
Thirdly, I’ve often heard advice to not bother any research learning while you wait for your start after youve been made an offer.
The training is tough, get ahead with rules leaning is my advice.
keep going, it’s worth it, but be realistic about the odds. 23000 applicants for 140 jobs on my intake.

Twotwo

I don't really know how it works. But I was offered a start date pretty quick that I had to turn down cause my company wanted 3 months notice but they got back to me with another start date. I've just finished traction and doing pratical handling with my trainer, its great fun!

MichaelT

That’s amazing I happy for you both lawtoni and twotwo it’s good to see you are both progressing well you’ll be passed out in no time!

Rules can be very daunting but you will get through it

LCC106

Established Member
Definitely don’t read ahead on rules. You will bamboozle yourself. It’s all explained in a logical manner. Good luck on getting that contract in your hands!

choochoochoo

Established Member
Definitely don’t read ahead on rules. You will bamboozle yourself. It’s all explained in a logical manner. Good luck on getting that contract in your hands!
Do NOT read ahead. The course has been well designed so you can come in with zero knowledge.

Just put the work in during the evenings and weekends once your course has started.

Azer85448

Because both candidates would have achieved the standard you require for the job ?

ElisaHarkness

Hope someone can help!

I have my MMI on 2nd February, the prep work I was sent has the SJE prep on it too, I thought I done this on the computer at the assessment day, will I have to do another?

The MMI is based on the questions I was asked at the assessment day is that right?

Thank you ☺️

Azer85448

Hope someone can help!

I have my MMI on 2nd February, the prep work I was sent has the SJE prep on it too, I thought I done this on the computer at the assessment day, will I have to do another?

The MMI is based on the questions I was asked at the assessment day is that right?

Thank you ☺️
No you won’t have to do the SJE again.

MeatAndTwoMeg

Hi all, I've just logged into my GTR careers profile and my application is under "submitted", alongside my unsuccessful shunter application, rather than "in progress". Does anyone else's active application sit under this category? I passed the assessment centre in November and have been awaiting a date for the dmi since then, so would be surprised if my application is no longer active without at least an email from HR.

ItchyRsole

Got the email yesterday. Passed the MMI and have now completed the full process successfully, thankfully.

Just waiting on course dates now so hopefully not ages like some people.

Good luck any others waiting on an answer.

REO Nate

Got the email yesterday. Passed the MMI and have now completed the full process successfully, thankfully.

Congrats! Welcome to the pool. Lol :E

Twotwo

Congratulations, hopefully you will be on a course soon. Im on my brake handling hours with my trainer and loving it.