• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 230 Information, Movements & Discussion.

Woods

Thanks @Woods. One question if I may. When you say “loading”, will there be weights added to represent a fully laden train, or have I misunderstood?
No I think it is planned to use calibrated volunteers rather than weights ;) (I'm being serious about the volunteers, less so about the calibration!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John R

Established Member
No I think it is planned to use calibrated volunteers rather than weights ;) (I'm being serious about the volunteers, less so about the calibration!)
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

twpsaesneg

It's very handy having a set of ballast weights that can move themselves into and out of position! :D

SWT_USER

Services currently suspended between West Ealing and Greenford due to a broken down train. Is this the 230 or a failed Turbo?

Realtime Trains shows trains are now running again. It also shows the 230 test trains running tomorrow through to Friday.

TurboMan

How is the testing going, if you can say?
Very well so far. So much so that there is a plan being formulated to do a full day's running on the Greenford branch on Sunday week (30th June), from 0800 to 2230, to push the unit a bit further.

I had a brief chat with one of the chaps involved when I was at West Ealing last week and was quite enthusiastic.

Woods

230001 and the charging system will be put through its paces this coming Sunday 30th June when it will be emulating (almost) a full day of passenger service. Except without passengers. But nonetheless, it will be 28 round trips from West Ealing to Greenford and back (the normal service is 31), first one arriving Greenford at 08:37, last one departing Greenford at 22:17. The aim is principally to monitor the performance of the trackside battery banks.

230001 and the charging system will be put through its paces this coming Sunday 30th June when it will be emulating (almost) a full day of passenger service. Except without passengers. But nonetheless, it will be 28 round trips from West Ealing to Greenford and back (the normal service is 31), first one arriving Greenford at 08:37, last one departing Greenford at 22:17. The aim is principally to monitor the performance of the trackside battery banks.

How many drivers are involved in that?

Benjwri

Established Member
Guessing at least four but maybe six of seven. Each driver will need a pnb somewhere within two hours of the midpoint of their diagram.
Have the current tests not be run by RailAdventure (Or at least the paths are theirs). In my opinion GWR would be unwise to take staff away from services when they are currently facing significant disruption from staff shortages.

JN114

Established Member
They won’t be GWR drivers (possibly a manager or two) - no ordinary GWR drivers sign the 230 yet.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why 230001 is still using a class number applicable to Diesel electric traction? I know it’s a test unit at this stage, but if the trial is successful will the future permanent stock get a new number?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Does anyone know why 230001 is still using a class number applicable to Diesel electric traction? I know it’s a test unit at this stage, but if the trial is successful will the future permanent stock get a new number?
Probably because no-one has got round to changing it. There may be regulatory hoops to go through to introduce a new class. I understand that is why the re-engined class 73s didn't get a new classification (although most of them will rarely, if ever, operate off the live rail again). Normally such a drastic re-engineering would have done so (see classes 21/29, 30/31, 47/57, or 56/69).

Even quite minor engine/transmission variants used to mean a new class - see classes 08/10, 24/25, 26/27, 44/45/46, or 47/48.

Anyway, as a self-powered unit with electric transmission, one could argue it still fits in the 2xx range. If it is electric, it's a live rail one (like the 777s) so could be numbered in the 4xx or 5xx series - probably not the 7xx series as it could not be converted easily to take power from the overhead.

Last edited:

Sunil_P

I saw a 230 at West Ealing P5 around 12.30 on Friday. Passed through on a 345 fast, but saw it was "not in service".

The exile

Established Member
. Normally such a drastic re-engineering would have done so (see classes 21/29, 30/31, 47/57, or 56/69)

Even quite minor engine variants used to mean a new class - see classes 08/10, 24/25, 26/27, 44/45, or 47/48.
No doubt when computers were far less widespread it was much more important to have such differences immediately apparent on the loco / associated paperwork.