• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
hello
Can someone explain what the 319s will be used for?
In the first few posts on this thread, it was suggested that 319s would be used for staff training, before the first 769s were available. However that was over three years ago.
I don't think GWR have ever had any intention of running unconverted 319s, though there will be others on here with more definite knowledge. Their 769s are supposed to be replacing Turbos on the Thames Valley and North Downs routes, though whether it will ever actually happen remains to be seen.

FGW_DID

Established Member
The few 319s we had didn’t stay very long and all went off to Wolverton for conversion. All the 319s allocated for GWR 769s have now been converted and delivered to GWR.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Seeing as the few Class 319s have long gone from Reading and all those designated for conversion to the GWR 769 have now been converted and delivered to GWR, to save any confusion I’ve changed the title of the thread so it’s solely about the ongoing GWR Class 769 saga!

Tw99

There are some unusual Maidenhead to Swindon and back runs scheduled today, e.g. this one.

I was surprised to see a 769 go past…

FGW_DID

Established Member
There are some unusual Maidenhead to Swindon and back runs scheduled today, e.g. this one.

I was surprised to see a 769 go past…

769943 out with the COLAS drivers. 5Q10* / 5Q11 / 5Q12 / 5Q13 / 5Q14 / 5Q15*. Its the standard mileage runs but just on the AC so no need to bother the North Downs. *Q10 & Q15 are the moves from / to Reading TCD.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
It appears that 769949 ran two Reading TCD to Reading TCD movements via Gatwick Airport today. I'm surprised GWR haven't given up with the 769s yet..

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm surprised GWR haven't given up with the 769s yet..
It isn't exactly GWR's decision to make. The DfT are likely to be decision makers on whether to give up with 769s, and that either needs service cuts or alternative stock to be sourced for west services.

Bikeman78

Established Member
It isn't exactly GWR's decision to make. The DfT are likely to be decision makers on whether to give up with 769s, and that either needs service cuts or alternative stock to be sourced for west services.
Or simply keep the HSTs. That may well be cheaper than wasting any more time or money on the 769s.

JN114

Established Member
Or simply keep the HSTs. That may well be cheaper than wasting any more time or money on the 769s.

I think it’s more future west enhancements currently rely on Turbos being released from the Thames Valley, than Turbos seeing off the HSTs; but the two are related.

Keeping the HSTs and staving off the Turbo cascade doesn’t fix that - the West ultimately needs a larger fleet on the whole to achieve its ambitions.

A (much) enlarged 158 fleet may trigger enough of an internal cascade of 158s relegating Turbos off Portsmouth duties in equivalent 4/5/6 car formations, Turbos released then doing Bristol/Exeter Metro enhancements freeing up 150s for Cornish branch line enhancements - but those 158s would need to come from somewhere and would likely come at a £££££ price tag as they’re in demand from several operators. Thames Valley could then soldier on for a few years more with Turbos until minds are made up on Oxford/Basing/Redhill/Branches electrification and all of that would dispense with the need for 769s. It’s a fair wedge of cash into the bin if the 769s are abandoned though with an expensive replacement and would only be done if there was definitely something else available.

I suspect the saga will drag on but the internal dissenting voices are coming in unison from many sides now.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I think it’s more future west enhancements currently rely on Turbos being released from the Thames Valley, than Turbos seeing off the HSTs; but the two are related.

Keeping the HSTs and staving off the Turbo cascade doesn’t fix that - the West ultimately needs a larger fleet on the whole to achieve its ambitions.

A (much) enlarged 158 fleet may trigger enough of an internal cascade of 158s relegating Turbos off Portsmouth duties in equivalent 4/5/6 car formations, Turbos released then doing Bristol/Exeter Metro enhancements freeing up 150s for Cornish branch line enhancements - but those 158s would need to come from somewhere and would likely come at a £££££ price tag as they’re in demand from several operators. Thames Valley could then soldier on for a few years more with Turbos until minds are made up on Oxford/Basing/Redhill/Branches electrification and all of that would dispense with the need for 769s. It’s a fair wedge of cash into the bin if the 769s are abandoned though with an expensive replacement and would only be done if there was definitely something else available.

I suspect the saga will drag on but the internal dissenting voices are coming in unison from many sides now.
Thanks for your detailed reply. The 442s were binned after £45 million was wasted on them so it wouldn't be a first. Given the problems with the other 769 fleets, I cannot see that putting them on the Gatwick line will be anything other than a PR disaster. TfW has diverted the 231s off the main line to the Rhymney line to bin off the 769s ASAP.

How soon are the extra units required in the west for enhancements? TfW will have 150/158/175s coming off lease in the next 12 months or so.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
How soon are the extra units required in the west for enhancements? TfW will have 150/158/175s coming off lease in the next 12 months or so.
Thats how GWR will solve its capacity problems imo not with the 769's unless ASLEF are going to agree to operate them. Given the IR issues that look inevitable across the industry this year I doubt they will be in collaborative mood for a while yet.

Bob Price

To underline the point made about the TfW 769's there is a gradient out if Penarth which the 769's struggle to get up and have been know to stall on. A 231 flew up there. Getting them up the Rhymney will get rid of the 769's free up some 150/2's and 153's.

Basingstoke and the branches are flatter and probably more suitable shorter term. And if wired, along with Didcot to Oxford, they could spend most of their lives on ac electric until more class 387sbeccome available. Whilst conductor rails along the Wokingham to Reigate stretch should sort that too!!

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Appears to be another 769 out today

3O10 0915 Reading Traincare Depot to Gatwick Airport

3V71 1359 Gatwick Airport to Reading Traincare Depot

This is a GWR operated run as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.