• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I am hearing from the station master at Milton Keynes the Porterloo Class 769s will be coming to London Midland Railway to replace the unreliable Class 230s on the Marston Hill line.

Much love,

Jerry
Can't see that happening due to the number of short platforms on the Marston Vale line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

supervc-10

Newport Sims hopefully :lol:
Hence why it's a big IF! :lol:
The concept is fine, it all seems to be issues around the execution. If I had a magic money tree, there would be some bi-mode dual voltage Stadlers ordered for the line and for the west country, but there we go!

I'm not sure how many diagrams GWR need, but there are some soon to be off-leased 387s at C2C, and perhaps with some reshuffling, the GN ones too if regular 25kV overhead was extended to Oxford. But that's all very hypothetical and off topic!

fgwrich

Established Member
Hence why it's a big IF! :lol:
The concept is fine, it all seems to be issues around the execution. If I had a magic money tree, there would be some bi-mode dual voltage Stadlers ordered for the line and for the west country, but there we go!

I'm not sure how many diagrams GWR need, but there are some soon to be off-leased 387s at C2C, and perhaps with some reshuffling, the GN ones too if regular 25kV overhead was extended to Oxford. But that's all very hypothetical and off topic!
*Already claimed along with the 3 at GWR by TSGN. Due to move over in the summer.

FGW_DID

Established Member
I'm not sure how many diagrams GWR need

We are drifting away from the thread topic here but currently it’s 26 387s required (M-F) from 36 (which includes the 3x 387/3).
You might think 10 “spare” is a lot but it soon gets swallowed up by engineering requirements such as the exam regime (mileage & time based) and the myriad of other tasks that require a unit to be stopped and unavailable for traffic.

Now back to those 769s! :D

769949 was out on the North Downs again today, the second run of the day was cut short, according to RTT, by a person hit by a train (not the 769).

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
We are drifting away from the thread topic here but currently it’s 26 387s required (M-F) from 36 (which includes the 3x 387/3).
You might think 10 “spare” is a lot but it soon gets swallowed up by engineering requirements such as the exam regime (mileage & time based) and the myriad of other tasks that require a unit to be stopped and unavailable for traffic.

Now back to those 769s! :D

769949 was out on the North Downs again today, the second run of the day was cut short, according to RTT, by a person hit by a train (not the 769).
72% utilisation is pretty poor for a modern fleet the 319's were diagrammed far higher in there heyday.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Today, 769930 was running on the NDL, complete with a generous daubing of graffiti. Seen at Guildford.

Attachments

• DSC04250a.jpeg
    DSC04250a.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 257

AM9

Veteran Member
Today, 769930 was running on the NDL, complete with a generous daubing of graffiti. Seen at Guildford.
Oh dear, - irrespective of whether you like the 769s, it's such a shame to see a well turned out train trashed by mindless vandals.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Oh dear, - irrespective of whether you like the 769s, it's such a shame to see a well turned out train trashed by mindless vandals.
Indeed, and I do like them, but just wish we had clarity on their future.

BTW, at Dorking Deepdene, I noticed that the tiny platform extensions have had their own lamp standards provided - I wonder, did they really need this extra cost when the existing lighting columns do actually fully light the whole length (and are twice as far apart as the new one is from the old one)? If a few lux were missing at the very end surely a derogation would have been possible, especially as the 'S' board is a few feet in from the end anyway? In this picture the new lamp is half as far from the adjacent one as that one is from the next one along. Just seems an unnecessary expense.

Attachments

• DSC04245a.jpeg
    DSC04245a.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 192

AM9

Veteran Member
Indeed, and I do like them, but just wish we had clarity on their future.

Actually I wasn't referring to you specifically but really speaking to all here, - they do look quite smart, - certainly better tha some of the liveries that those bodies have have worn as 319s!

BTW, at Dorking Deepdene, I noticed that the tiny platform extensions have had their own lamp standards provided - I wonder, did they really need this extra cost when the existing lighting columns do actually fully light the whole length (and are twice as far apart as the new one is from the old one)? If a few lux were missing at the very end surely a derogation would have been possible, especially as the 'S' board is a few feet in from the end anyway? In this picture the new lamp is half as far from the adjacent one as that one is from the next one along. Just seems an unnecessary expense.

Are the existing lamps LEDs as well?

RPI

Established Member
Just seen an internal communication.

"Whats the latest with the class 769's and when will we see them in service?

I'm pleased to say we now have the complete fleet of class 769 units. We're currently completing a series of further modifications and preparing six of these units for initial service entry.

At the moment, that service entry is expected to commence with the introduction of the December timetable change, but this may happen earlier if circumstances allow"

Posted today by the engineering director.

Mordac

Established Member

I'm pleased to say we now have the complete fleet of class 769 units. We're currently completing a series of further modifications and preparing six of these units for initial service entry.

At the moment, that service entry is expected to commence with the introduction of the December timetable change, but this may happen earlier if circumstances allow"

Bets on what'll enter service first, these, the SWR 701, or the Merseyrail 777.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
...or later if no staff agree to be trained on them?

Is there any progress on the matter of staff / union acceptance?

TurboMan

Unit numbers for those 6 units:

TurboMan

I take it these 'modifications' are equipment aside from the diesel mods and are instead things like front-facing CCTV and DOO mods?
Yes, it's things like ASDO system & DOO monitors, mods to cab seat and desk to give more leg room, upgraded cab air con, wifi, energy monitoring. FFCCTV was already fitted.

where have you got that list from?
Project update.

Status
Not open for further replies.