• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
Oh no, I can forsee what's coming...

Electrical Interference Issues, Small Delay to the Program and now an Engine Fire. It's not been the best of weeks then!

Still, I wonder if this will be as hyped up as Adrian Shooter's Bi Mode unit. Oh well, Porterbrook will be watching with interest now. Hope the 319s are well lined!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
Yes, according to rail press guys on Twitter it was an engine fire.

Nice to know that like all reputable journalists they don't pass off their idle speculation as fact... oh wait.

There was no fire. The unit initially stopped blocking the Down Main with fire bells ringing, but there was no evidence of smoke or fire. The unit then preceded forward to Southall for a closer inspection where there was still no evidence of smoke or fire. Hitachi were going to give the set an even more thorough examination once back on North Pole - given its back out in traffic two days later you can draw your own conclusions as to what happened. If there had been a fire I doubt it would have been out today so quickly...

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Nice to know that like all reputable journalists they don't pass off their idle speculation as fact... oh wait.

There was no fire. The unit initially stopped blocking the Down Main with fire bells ringing, but there was no evidence of smoke or fire. The unit then preceded forward to Southall for a closer inspection where there was still no evidence of smoke or fire. Hitachi were going to give the set an even more thorough examination once back on North Pole - given its back out in traffic two days later you can draw your own conclusions as to what happened. If there had been a fire I doubt it would have been out today so quickly...

I was on the train - there was no fire. Minor fault, which required a quick safety inspection, spoilt the purpose of the run so it was canned early. Will be re-run next week.

Dave1987

On Moderation

Well clearly something set the fire loops off. Knowing how these fire loops work clearly something was overheating or the fire loops themselves were faulty. Not something you want to have happen in service either.

JN114

Established Member
Well clearly something set the fire loops off. Knowing how these fire loops work clearly something was overheating or the fire loops themselves were faulty. Not something you want to have happen in service either.

No and that's why the problem was fully investigated on North Pole. As CY has said - there was no fire, and he was on the train.

People in the influential position journalists hold shouldn't just be spouting baseless speculation. It was a minor technical glitch, it's been resolved. It isn't even the only train to have sat down on the GWML with faulty fire bells this week. Time to move on from this non-story.

leomartin125

Are you able to share with us what the purpose of the run was?

Well clearly with the high priority (Class 1X) and scheduled stops it would be to test the effectiveness of the train when it enters service. Could also be timed to see if it does do the journey quicker than a HST...

Will it be re run starting from Bristol Parkway this time? I only say because 800004 is at Stoke Gifford now.

JN114

Established Member
Well clearly with the high priority (Class 1X) and scheduled stops it would be to test the effectiveness of the train when it enters service. Could also be timed to see if it does do the journey quicker than a HST...

Will it be re run starting from Bristol Parkway this time? I only say because 800004 is at Stoke Gifford now.

As previously advised, "Class 1X" confers no additional priority over any other service. 1 Means Express Passenger Train, X means conveys special/out of gauge load, latter being the case for 800s.

D1009

Established Member
Well clearly with the high priority (Class 1X) and scheduled stops it would be to test the effectiveness of the train when it enters service. Could also be timed to see if it does do the journey quicker than a HST....
My post was directed to Clarence Yard who was on the train, to ask whether he was able to disclose its purpose to us. It would be perfectly understandable if he is not able to do that. I was certainly not after further speculation, there has been quite enough of that already thank you.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
My post was directed to Clarence Yard who was on the train, to ask whether he was able to disclose its purpose to us. It would be perfectly understandable if he is not able to do that. I was certainly not after further speculation, there has been quite enough of that already thank you.

Timing run on diesel to check the theoretical point to point journey times with actual real ones.

Normal validation stuff.

II

Not unusual to have fire bells ringing, or even automatic extinguishers going off, but no actual fire. I've had both scenarios several times over the years whilst working Turbos and 180s for example.

Obviously the crew have to investigate, and being a new train undergoing testing I should imagine the details would be scrutinised on depot in some detail, but certainly not something that's particularly unusual.

D1009

Established Member
800003 was at the exit signal from Stoke Gifford when I came past at about 1440 today, so that is presumably doing the tests between Bristol Parkway and Swindon/Didcot today.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Have any 800's made it to Gloucester or Cheltenham yet? It will be interesting to see it's performance climbing up from Standish junction and up the Sapperton bank

D1009

Established Member
Have any 800's made it to Gloucester or Cheltenham yet? It will be interesting to see it's performance climbing up from Standish junction and up the Sapperton bank
Welcome to the forum. Not yet, the testing on gradients has already been carried out between Newton Abbot and Plymouth.

spark001uk

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. Not yet, the testing on gradients has already been carried out between Newton Abbot and Plymouth.

Would I be right in thinking it was those tests which contributed toward the realisation of insufficient power, and the subsequent order of the 802's with higher output?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Would I be right in thinking it was those tests which contributed toward the realisation of insufficient power, and the subsequent order of the 802's with higher output?

Given that the first IEP unit arrived in the UK in March 2015, and the first Class 802 order was placed in March 2015 I think not.

In any case the IEP (bimode) specification specifically includes the need to be able to start fully laden on the gradients of the Devon banks.

deltic08

On Moderation

There will be occasions when Severn Tunnel closes for maintenance and 9-car IEPs will have to divert via Gloucester to Swindon on diesel power. Sapperton is just as challenging as the South Devon banks.

D365

Veteran Member

The Class 800s and Class 802s use the same engines, just the engines on the former are derated in normal service.

Trailfinder

I was in the Waitrose car park at West Ealing, when I saw it London bound at about 13:45, I only got a glimpse as it was blocked out by a west bound HST.

Would it have been on the OHL or diesel?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Running via Sapperton is no more challenging than climbing out of the Severn Tunnel or up to Badminton (on diesel, that is, which will apply for at least a year).

spark001uk

Established Member
Does anyone know if any line speed changeovers have been completed or due to be undertaken yet?

II

I was in the Waitrose car park at West Ealing, when I saw it London bound at about 13:45, I only got a glimpse as it was blocked out by a west bound HST.

I managed to get some footage of it. Here's it passing Steventon, west of Didcot on the way back earlier today. I estimate it was doing around 100mph, though the longer carriages make it more difficult to judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGZhApVFnvM

Status
Not open for further replies.