• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GwR HSTs to be stood down

northernbelle

Hi, is anyone able to confirm which carriages currently make up sets GW01, GW02 and GW04 please?

Also I believe GW01 is now stored but wasn’t the one sent to Ely this week, is it at Laira and, if so, is it visible from a public place?
From memory GW01 is stored alongside the access road into the depot itself. It's not accessible to the public though - you might catch a glimpse when passing on the main lines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The rest of the "green fleet" is owned as follows:
First Rail Holdings: 43092-094/097/098/122/153-155/158/194/198
GWR: 43088/156/160/162
Sorry when were 43092-094 withdrawn? Someone reported in 2023 New Haulages having 43093 in only late May.

REVUpminster

43098/43040 is replacing a failed IET on 1A81 1055 Paignton-Paddington. The usual IET left Paddington 0703 and failed at Reading.

REVUpminster

It was the 0703 1C70 Paddington Paignton that failed at Reading. The Castle came from Bristol empty to Taunton then passenger 1Z70 to Paignton. I watched it go through Dawlish. It should go back as 1A81 to Paddington.

I've just relooked and see what you mean.

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
Presumably it did not work through to Paddington but would have set swapped somewhere en route. How far up to London are the 2+4 sets cleared for? And nore importantly, how many drivers can take them as far as London now?

Annetts key

Established Member
As far as I know, they don’t normally go beyond North Somerset Junction (just to the east of Bristol Temple Meads), or beyond Westerleigh Junction in the up direction towards London.

LiftFan

Common sense would say get them cleared to Castle Cary/Westbury, would be a useful service during Glastonbury to avoid changing at Bristol for a local train for people coming down from the north.

Snow1964

Established Member
Common sense would say get them cleared to Castle Cary/Westbury, would be a useful service during Glastonbury to avoid changing at Bristol for a local train for people coming down from the north.
They have occasionally been routed via Castle Cary, Westbury, Bath during diversions. Might have stopped few months ago.

Cross Country also have this as a diversion route too, but haven't seen a XC HST for ages, (22x nowadays)

irish_rail

Established Member
Presumably it did not work through to Paddington but would have set swapped somewhere en route. How far up to London are the 2+4 sets cleared for? And nore importantly, how many drivers can take them as far as London now?
Pretty much all drivers at Exeter and Plymouth sign 2+4s so plenty of crews who can take them to Paddington. I'm unsure why it is that they are presumably banned from going all the way, seems daft when they are not so different from a few years ago, albeit with a lower top speed (100mph). Wouldnt lose time on b and h , but may lose a minute or so between Reading and Paddington. Maybe its the fear it would be swarmed by enthusiasts if it happened and therefore wouldn't be room for normals?

Anonymous10

Established Member
Pretty much all drivers at Exeter and Plymouth sign 2+4s so plenty of crews who can take them to Paddington. I'm unsure why it is that they are presumably banned from going all the way, seems daft when they are not so different from a few years ago, albeit with a lower top speed (100mph). Wouldnt lose time on b and h , but may lose a minute or so between Reading and Paddington. Maybe its the fear it would be swarmed by enthusiasts if it happened and therefore wouldn't be room for normals?
It would be a 4 carriage train so probably similar to why they avoid single turbos, which is to say overcrowding.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I'm unsure why it is that they are presumably banned from going all the way, seems daft when they are not so different from a few years ago,

AIUI as they are now class 255s they would need clearance and platform height /step/distance tests as the doors are now different.

The_Train

Established Member
Anybody know the current state of play with 43093 and 43172 please? Lead to believe they are still in the operational pool but seemingly not well used

Class91Joe

Don't think it's been posted on here, so just in case some don't already know... 43005, 041 and 171 have been sent for scrap by road to Newport Sims (each heavily stripped) on July 4th, 5th and 6th respectively.

david1212

Established Member
With thanks to @winsaw for posting the diagrams I probably had my final rides on a HST, at least on the mainline.
Initially planned for yesterday but when at 09:00 I checked on https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ I found the 2U14 was cancelled.
Today at 09:15 running on time and the 2C69 had left Cardiff on time.
As staying in Torbay with a Devon Day Ranger my plan was 2U14 Newton Abott to Tiverton Parkway timetabled arrival 10:58 then 2C69 timetabled arrival 11:08 to Plymouth. The 2U14 was 3 minutes down at Newton Abott but with 6 minutes allowed at Exeter departed on schedule. The 2C69 was on schedule.

Looking now at https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ to get the numbers I see the 2U14 did get to 5 minutes down between Hemerdon and Ivybridge then was terminated at Bristol with a train fault (M8). Other than into Bristol it kept to time. Following on the 2C79 started at Exeter, the reason given an issue with the train crew (TG). 2U14 shows as 43040 and 43098 while 2C79 as 43172 and 43192 so the set swapped.
2C69 was 43194 and 43027.
Aside from the big banks e.g. Hemerdon can the Castle sets keep to time on one power car?

The sets are tired although both carriages and seats I was in were tidy. Similarly even with the power car upgrades they are neither fuel efficient or environmentally friendly. To me a more pleasent experience than the IET I returned from Plymouth on. The current seats are comfortable just large combined with most seating being airline. I understand the safety issues with the original seats but if as the Chiltern hauled stock I prefer the more open environment.
I could not get the wi-fi to log-in. I got the GWR home page and a couple of pages from it but nothing else. I did manange to connect later in an IET.

Last edited:

Liam L

43158 & 43022 with a rake of MK3s moved to Kings Norton today. Both debranded.

Anyone got any ideas as to why? I believe the move was operated by rail adventure

smithy_37688

43158 & 43022 with a rake of MK3s moved to Kings Norton today. Both debranded.

Anyone got any ideas as to why? I believe the move was operated by rail adventure

022/158 storage apparently. Rumours are going around they've been acquired, but apparently stop over at King's Norton and then moving onto Ely for storage.

The_Train

Established Member
Could it be that Rail Adventure are going to strip them of parts at King's Norton before sending them off to Ely? Seems very strange to send them all the way to the West Mids just for a stopover

Liam L

Could it be that Rail Adventure are going to strip them of parts at King's Norton before sending them off to Ely? Seems very strange to send them all the way to the West Mids just for a stopover
The other paths have come through the west midlands on their way to Ely.

On Moderation
Why is it strange? Where are RailAdventure’s operations based?