• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GwR HSTs to be stood down

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m afraid it’s a bit difficult to provide the actual source often as lease hand-back paperwork is confidential.
Simply saying they’ve seen such a document is a suitable source in itself. Heck, even “Internal staff briefing/document” is enough :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Simply saying they’ve seen such a document is a suitable source in itself. Heck, even “Internal staff briefing/document” is enough :)
It's not that simple. Off leasing can take place some time after a vehicle has been stopped - for example 43041/171 were stopped last year, but were not formally off leased until Spring this year.

Staff briefings tend to be more generic about what is happening with fleets, rather than be issued every time a vehicle is stopped for handback. You might be lucky that someone has seen a depot stoplist or seen "on the system" that a vehicle is stopped for de-branding and/or handback repairs. But those with that access are unlikely to post it on here.

In short, the best you can do really is to develop a "BS detector" to see who is reliable and who isn't with the gen.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I can confirm TT's observation of the Castle set out today, I saw its late running inward working at Newport :) To be honest, I'd forgot they were no longer due out on Sundays, so now I'm even happier I saw it 8-) Let's not go there on the amount of cancellations today though!

louis97

Established Member
I can confirm TT's observation of the Castle set out today, I saw its late running inward working at Newport :) To be honest, I'd forgot they were no longer due out on Sundays, so now I'm even happier I saw it 8-) Let's not go there on the amount of cancellations today though!
There was booked Castle work today, booked work on a Sunday won't be a regular thing.

irp

Can confirm 43154 and 43092 were working 2U14 on Sunday, I was onboard coach D. Managed to get pics of both when I left the service at Bristol Temple Meads. I got lucky at Exeter St Davids as it was running ~6 mins late, which meant I could pick up that Class 255 rather than a 80x/22[01]

Shame that will probably be one of, if not, the last mainline working I'll catch

Last edited:

GWR Power Cars (as of 7th September)

43022 (exported to Mexico)

43158 (exported to Mexico)
43170 (exported to Mexico)

Bold
indicates that the power car is still in service

Please tell me about any mistakes I have made
I've amended the list but surely some of the ones I have in bold aren't in service anymore.

Trainguy34

The_Train

Established Member
Does anyone know how long they'll be there for?
Presumably until GWR need them again? Seems a bit of a backwards way of doing things but I guess they want to run the leased sets until their mileage runs out and save their own for when they have all gone

Trainguy34

Presumably until GWR need them again? Seems a bit of a backwards way of doing things but I guess they want to run the leased sets until their mileage runs out and save their own for when they have all gone
Is it likely they'll be fully gone before August 24?

The_Train

Established Member
Is it likely they'll be fully gone before August 24?
I'll be honest, I have no idea what the plan is for next year apart from the fact a few sets are going to enjoy a stay of execution beyond the originally planned end this year. I would guess the situation will be reviewed around timetable changes but I am no expert on this subject :)

On Moderation
43162 isn’t far off needing a G exam, so not likely to return to service, even though it is a franchise asset.

aem7ac

Not sure if this was mentioned here (did a quick skim but didn't see it) but I believe an agreement was made with WSR that in exchange for storing the castle sets, one would run on the heritage railway on the 23rd and 24th of this month

Anonymous10

Established Member
Not sure if this was mentioned here (did a quick skim but didn't see it) but I believe an agreement was made with WSR that in exchange for storing the castle sets, one would run on the heritage railway on the 23rd and 24th of this month
I'm surprised they don't agree to run them every few weeks. Presumably the type of tourist wouldn't make too much of a mess and would help keep everything functional.

aem7ac

I have the full info here, extracted from the HST Facebook group:
WSR press release (extract)

“In return for storing these two trains, Great Western have agreed that the WSR will be able to run one of the trains on the 23rd and 24th September, in normal WSR passenger service. On both days the train will make two return runs from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard. The “yellow” time table will be in operation, which means that the HST will leave Minehead at 1000 and 1430, and Bishops Lydeard at 1230 and 1635. Passengers will therefore be able to undertake a return run in the train starting from either end of the line. Alternatively, it will be possible to travel one way on the HST and the other on a regular steam hauled train. Normal fares will apply”.

Jrocks

Perfect, I may have to change at Bristol on my way from Paddington to Taunton so I can get on one!
Just note, there is no booked work past Plymouth (apart from one Exeter terminator) from December this year, all diagrams are kept captive to Cornwall.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Just note, there is no booked work past Plymouth (apart from one Exeter terminator) from December this year, all diagrams are kept captive to Cornwall.
So one presumes that the usual 158s on that diagram will be used elsewhere?.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
So one presumes that the usual 158s on that diagram will be used elsewhere?.

The 158 diagram that starts with the 06.25 EXD - PNZ and ends with the 21.00 PNZ - EXD is unchanged.

The Exeter terminator planned to be HST post December timetable change is the 18.15 PNZ - EXD (currently an IET).

irish_rail

Established Member
If correct, I wander which depots will lose the work on them . Presume everywhere east of Exeter?

43040 and 43172 went up together to St Phillips Marsh today.

Edit: Good day for moves.
43094 and 43122 went up for storage at Bishops Lydeard

Last edited:

irish_rail

Established Member
Been confirmed that the Castles are due to run until May 2025 (though that date may yet change again). They will only run Plymouth to Penzance and only traincrew depots working them will be Penzance Par and Plymouth. Or that's the plan for now anyway!!!......

The_Train

Established Member
Been confirmed that the Castles are due to run until May 2025 (though that date may yet change again). They will only run Plymouth to Penzance and only traincrew depots working them will be Penzance Par and Plymouth. Or that's the plan for now anyway!!!......
Better than nothing :D still gives me a reason to head down there for another 18 months or so - do we know roughly how many diagrams are planned?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

There’s also an evening working to Exeter planned - 18.15 PNZ - EXD and ECS back to Laira presumably worked by a Plymouth crew.

Better than nothing :D still gives me a reason to head down there for another 18 months or so - do we know roughly how many diagrams are planned?

It’s 3 diagrams

PudseyBearHST

Will they train new drivers on HSTs do you think then as it seems to have extended?

Last edited: