• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Talent Pool Discussion

mobotmat21

Hi there,

Does anybody know if GWR are taking picks from their talent pools to begin as trainee train drivers recently? Or have they put a pause on it? Been in the pool since Aug ‘21

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Traindriver40

i have been in the pool since 2020 although now managed to get in with another TOC/FOC, i know they have taken a few on at various depots but the majority lie in wait.

PlexiDriver

I believe there will be a few new HEX drivers that might be taken from the GWR pool. I think sometime in October is the start date.

LKS

Good luck to anyone in the pool :) Hopefully things will move soon

mobotmat21

Thanks for the info and support guys - much appreciated :D

Are you placed into the talent pool AFTER the Driver Manager interview?
Hi TristanGNER, yeah I’ve been placed into the GWR talent pool after the driver manager interview at the I’ve depot applied for

TM Hopeful

I’m in the talent pool too (internal applicant) the last update email I received was August last year saying no update!

Just for clarity I AM in the driver talent pool, my user name is from when I started out with the railway!

LKS

I’m in the talent pool too (internal applicant) the last update email I received was August last year saying no update!

Just for clarity I AM in the driver talent pool, my user name is from when I started out with the railway!

Can I ask which area is that for?

officewalla

No hint of any significant move with trainee drivers currently. Almost all of the temporary instructors at my depot are not being renewed and there have been no new trainees for over a year. Doesn't look good in the short term unfortunately for those who remain in the talent pool.

irish_rail

Established Member
No hint of any significant move with trainee drivers currently. Almost all of the temporary instructors at my depot are not being renewed and there have been no new trainees for over a year. Doesn't look good in the short term unfortunately for those who remain in the talent pool.
Well I've heard pretty much the opposite, that they are going to continue taking on trainees over next few years so who knows. Id be less confident with the East Side, as they have lost work to Crossrail and Reading for example are now robbing work from other depots in order not to have surplus drivers. Good for Reading, less good for the other depots mind you!.....

Jacob Didcote

I've been in the talent pool since 2021 for Gloucester guards but since moving to South Wales I was transferred to Cardiff Guards. Unfortunately, my tests run out next month so back to square one now!

PlexiDriver

Well I've heard pretty much the opposite, that they are going to continue taking on trainees over next few years so who knows. Id be less confident with the East Side, as they have lost work to Crossrail and Reading for example are now robbing work from other depots in order not to have surplus drivers. Good for Reading, less good for the other depots mind you!.....
There are a few qualified drivers who have moved over to Crossrail and the like so although XR have taken some, I think there are spots opening up in Padd and Reading

LLB

Not sure “robbing” work is correct. Finally gaining additional routes and more desirable work for a depot which has a large establishment and placed well to serve routes further West than Bedwyn/Didcot i would say is more accurate. For years Reading has always been the forgotten about depot in terms of work allocation imo, long may it continue!

In terms of trainees, i have also heard there will continue to be a steady stream of trainees, inc east region.

irish_rail

Established Member
Not sure “robbing” work is correct. Finally gaining additional routes and more desirable work for a depot which has a large establishment and placed well to serve routes further West than Bedwyn/Didcot i would say is more accurate. For years Reading has always been the forgotten about depot in terms of work allocation imo, long may it continue!

In terms of trainees, i have also heard there will continue to be a steady stream of trainees, inc east region.
Trouble is there is now too many drivers signing the B and H. Indeed Exeter HSS was down to just 2 London b and H trips from the timetable change due to Exeter West , Plymouth Hss , Plymouth west, Bristol, Paddington , Reading , all now signing the B and H. The work is too thinly spread now. It is clear that one driver working as far as possible is most effective in terms of performance , so one wonders why Reading should really be doing the B and H ( unless it is in connection with extending the Bedwyn?) Otherwise they are just treading on other depots toes. As I said, great for Reading , but what about whichever depot ends up losing the route?! Better to let Reading stick with its core work, or you are just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Trouble is there is now too many drivers signing the B and H. Indeed Exeter HSS was down to just 2 London b and H trips from the timetable change due to Exeter West , Plymouth Hss , Plymouth west, Bristol, Paddington , Reading , all now signing the B and H. The work is too thinly spread now. It is clear that one driver working as far as possible is most effective in terms of performance , so one wonders why Reading should really be doing the B and H ( unless it is in connection with extending the Bedwyn?) Otherwise they are just treading on other depots toes. As I said, great for Reading , but what about whichever depot ends up losing the route?! Better to let Reading stick with its core work, or you are just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I don't think you can "gatekeep" depots like that. What is your concern exactly?

irish_rail

Established Member
I don't think you can "gatekeep" depots like that. What is your concern exactly?
My concern? Well with Exeter and Plymouth HSS losing work hand over fist, will redundancies fall there in order to preserve jobs at Reading? (Even though splitting up services between multiple crews is now widely accepted to be less resilient, reliable and arguably productive). There is no way having a driver from Penzance to Plymouth then Plymouth to Exeter then Exeter to Westbury and Westbury to Reading and finally Reading to Paddington is going to go well..... at least at present a driver from Plymouth to London is a good bet the service will run. We don't want a repeat of Transpennine.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
My concern? Well with Exeter and Plymouth HSS losing work hand over fist, will redundancies fall there in order to preserve jobs at Reading? (Even though splitting up services between multiple crews is now widely accepted to be less resilient, reliable and arguably productive). There is no way having a driver from Penzance to Plymouth then Plymouth to Exeter then Exeter to Westbury and Westbury to Reading and finally Reading to Paddington is going to go well..... at least at present a driver from Plymouth to London is a good bet the service will run. We don't want a repeat of Transpennine.

That’s rather a big leap - a few drivers are learning a new route so other depots will see drivers made redundant? When was the last time drivers were made redundant? If anything, it would just be a recruitment freeze, natural wastage and only then possibly optional transfers if establishment levels aren’t met.

Reading is a huge depot with a lot of links, so I imagine this would only be top link work. It’s a long way from diagramming 5 drivers (and of that list you wouldn’t need Paddington - Reading) for the route, but it does provide useful contingency. TPE cut certain routes, which necessitated more changes on one train, this is the opposite to that.

One issue that does make sense will be managing route retention.

officewalla

Sounds about right.

Floo1977

Hi peeps, so…. I’m still training. But was at reading academy a few weeks ago. The last course was all internals. However, was told that there are lots of courses lined up. Not sure if for internal or external. Sooooo people that are in the talent pool, please don’t give up. I’m sure ur time will come.

LKS

Hi peeps, so…. I’m still training. But was at reading academy a few weeks ago. The last course was all internals. However, was told that there are lots of courses lined up. Not sure if for internal or external. Sooooo people that are in the talent pool, please don’t give up. I’m sure ur time will come.

Hope you're enjoying your training :) and best of luck!

Just need to get myself in the talent pool with the last recruitment :)

CannonBall

Wouldn't hold your breath on anything outside the east region recruitment-wise. GWR have serious recruitment and training problems internally atm.

genziu8181

Hi all. So from you guys are saying the future does not look bright for someone in talent pool in Plymouth(exams still valid a bit over year). Do you all think people can be offered opportunities in other depots in case there is no recruitment in current one they are sitting in?

irish_rail

Established Member
Hi all. So from you guys are saying the future does not look bright for someone in talent pool in Plymouth(exams still valid a bit over year). Do you all think people can be offered opportunities in other depots in case there is no recruitment in current one they are sitting in?
Why do you think that? I'd say you have as much chance at Plymouth as anywhere else. I'm not privy to specifics, but recruitment at bigger depots like Plymouth will inevitably continue in next year or so unless someone knows otherwise? Most of the depot drivers will become mainline drivers over next year or so and so they will need replacing.

LKS

I hadn't, and now switched my application to Exeter as it's closer.