• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Talent Pool Discussion

traction2023

Hi Guys,

Does anybody have any tips / advice on what to expect for a qualified driver interview. Is it rule based, company info etc??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CannonBall

Hi Guys,

Does anybody have any tips / advice on what to expect for a qualified driver interview. Is it rule based, company info etc??
Company info, they will ask about your knowledge of traction and routes covered by your depot, there will be a surprising amount of customer service related questions, more than you'd expect, gwr are very corporate and tick-boxy in that sense.

traction2023

Company info, they will ask about your knowledge of traction and routes covered by your depot, there will be a surprising amount of customer service related questions, more than you'd expect, gwr are very corporate and tick-boxy in that sense.
Thanks for that!!

LKS

Out of interest, trainee drivers, would they be asked about tractions used in interview?

traction2023

Out of interest, trainee drivers, would they be asked about tractions used in interview?
Not for your trainee interview, although always good to have in the bag for the what do you know about us etc.. just generic you currently have **this type of traction** and if any future plans to bring new units in or replace old units.. just to show youve took time to do some research which is all out there in google and on their websites..

LKS

Not for your trainee interview, although always good to have in the bag for the what do you know about us etc.. just generic you currently have **this type of traction** and if any future plans to bring new units in or replace old units.. just to show youve took time to do some research which is all out there in google and on their websites..

Oki doki thank you

TristanGNER

Does anyone have any idea how long you can expect to be in the talent pool once you’ve been added to it?

Melancholia

Does anyone have any idea how long you can expect to be in the talent pool once you’ve been added to it?
Anywhere between a couple weeks, and 5 years, to be blunt. All depends on vacancies available at the depot you're in the talent pool in, and your performance in the Driver Manager Interview.

For me it was just under 2 years. My interview was March 2021, and I started February this year.

mobotmat21

Anywhere between a couple weeks, and 5 years, to be blunt. All depends on vacancies available at the depot you're in the talent pool in, and your performance in the Driver Manager Interview.

For me it was just under 2 years. My interview was March 2021, and I started February this year.
Congrats on your start as a trainee driver mate! I’m about to hit my 2 year wait in the talent pool soon lol

Which depot/area are you based at?

BooTwo

Hi guys, have I missed a few recruitment opportunities? I applied for a trainee position a couple of years back but was unsuccessful, and have since been registered for job alerts with GWR and haven’t heard anything. I occasionally check to see if they’re recruiting but nothing, so I assumed there hadn’t been any recruitment. If there’s any word on the grapevine for recruitment campaigns near to Plymouth I’d be keen to hear!

genziu8181

That's great... I have started in October 2019 first tests, December 2019 second round, Covid hit and I had my DMI December 2020 and I am waiting since than

Hi guys, have I missed a few recruitment opportunities? I applied for a trainee position a couple of years back but was unsuccessful, and have since been registered for job alerts with GWR and haven’t heard anything. I occasionally check to see if they’re recruiting but nothing, so I assumed there hadn’t been any recruitment. If there’s any word on the grapevine for recruitment campaigns near to Plymouth I’d be keen to hear!
I have applied April 2019 and I haven't since than any recruitment

WombleGuard

The problem for GWR with these long-wait talent pools is that successful candidates whilst waiting, use their GWR sponsored OPC testing and go elsewhere.........I'm still in their pool and yet start with another TOC in September having done just that.

genziu8181

The problem for GWR with these long-wait talent pools is that successful candidates whilst waiting, use their GWR sponsored OPC testing and go elsewhere.........I'm still in their pool and yet start with another TOC in September having done just that.
I wish I have started the same before. As my tests run will run out October 2024 I have started to apply for others TOC/FOC companies now. Hope something comes up before than

Traindriver40

Me to i am in the Plymouth pool but have now used the GWR tests to get a Train driving job elsewhere.

mobotmat21

I got a call today with conditional offer for a start in October.

Did you get call today?
Congratulations mate! You must be buzzing

This is a good indication for others in GWR talent pools… Here’s hoping for more good news for us all!

DogDays

So, I've just had the conditional offer of a trainee driver role starting in December at Reading, pending a medical

Anybody else had any news?

Last edited by a moderator:

DogDays

Thank you

I've been treading water for some time now, my passes were due to expire in January and got the call in October