• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Yes mate. As we have completed Interim 1 and were stopped on Intro to Handling there is no way forward for us at this time until the two in a cab is sorted. Basically my group is bottom of the priority list as we can’t be brought back for anything at this stage. It is what it is and I’m pretty chilled out about it to be fair, nothing I can do at this stage.
It's a bit rubbish but we could be in much worse positions I suppose!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Are these ‘Talent Pools’ for trainee drivers or qualifieds?
This thread was initially about Trainee Train Driver talent pools generally, but GWR have recently advertised for qualified drivers both for talent pools, and immediate vacancies.

Lufcman

I’ve just applied for PAR. It was the only one not advertised as a Talent Pool for some reason.

Mister N

Thanks Dan 2610 for your DMI observations they are much appreciated. Hopefully I will get my DMI soon. I'm in the Westbury pool so not too far from yours. Hope you hear soon.

G30RG3

Dan 2610 - thanks for your earlier update on how the talent pool works, it sounds more realistic & positive than some people have explained.

Mister N - I am in the same position awaiting a DMI however different depot of Plymouth. Hopefully an opportunity will eventually arise. If you have any information on what to expect for the DMI would be hugely appreciated!

Best of luck with your process

I'm now awaiting a new start date with SWR due to COVID as my course was cancelled, but also awaiting a DMI for Exeter should SWR not come off for whatever reason. Seems GWR recruitment slowed down somewhat even before COVID really kicked off?

Lufcman

Railway recruitment has always been notoriously slow.
My application is ‘under review’ for Par.

Mister N

G3org3 sorry for the somewhat tardy response I'm afraid my internet has been playing up all week thanks Virgin! The only tips I have are what others have written on here in the past. Below is list of possible questions someone posted earlier this year not my list but from someone who has taken and passed. I can't give him a mention cos I can't remember and I don't want to scroll through pages. Whoever it was thanks and I'm sure G3org3 will appreaciate it too. Quite a long list but a good starting point I think.

- Why do you want to join the company?
- Why do you think you are suitable for the job?
- What does the company do?
- What does a Train Driver do?
- What is the geographical range of the companies services?
- Describe a time you have dealt with a problem
- Describe a time you have dealt with a problem with a superior
- Describe a time you have dealt with an emergency situation
- Describe your biggest achievement
- Describe a time you have had to persevere to achieve something
- Describe a time you have worked alone for long periods of time
- Give an example of staying calm under pressure
- Describe a time you have had to follow strict rules and regulations
- Describe a time you have used organisational skills
- How do you maintain concentration for long periods and stop yourself getting bored
- Example of a time you have assisted a member of the public/gone above and beyond
- Example of a stressful experience and how you dealt with it
- How do you manage fatigue
- Describe a time you have had to study
- What would you expect to say over a tannoy
- Describe a time you have made a mistake and how it was resolved
- Describe a time you have had to motivate a colleague
- Describe a time you have noticed a colleagues standards or techniques slipping and what you did about it
- Describe a time you took on a task with incomplete instructions
- What are your views on Trade Unions?
- Why do you want to be a Train Driver?
- What are the qualities of a Train Driver?
- Do you think a Train Driver should wear a uniform?
- Describe a time you have worked unsocial hours/shift work
- What are the aims of the TOC?
- What challenges are the TOC facing

PaulBusDriver

Is there anyone on the forum that has gone from being in a GWR talent pool to getting a job?
If there is could I ask how long it has taken and do you know how long GWR will retain people in a talent pool?

I was looking at the Faq's for WMT and the few vacancies they have advertised lately and they say that they do sometimes taken beyond 5 years from passing all psychometrics and interviews to getting a job from a talent pool. I find that a bit more reassuring as there is no mention of a ccut off point after any given length of time.
I was hoping someone here might have a better idea of how GWR deal with people in their talent pools and if there is a cut off after a certain amount of time?

Stigy

Established Member
Is there anyone on the forum that has gone from being in a GWR talent pool to getting a job?
If there is could I ask how long it has taken and do you know how long GWR will retain people in a talent pool?

I was looking at the Faq's for WMT and the few vacancies they have advertised lately and they say that they do sometimes taken beyond 5 years from passing all psychometrics and interviews to getting a job from a talent pool. I find that a bit more reassuring as there is no mention of a ccut off point after any given length of time.
I was hoping someone here might have a better idea of how GWR deal with people in their talent pools and if there is a cut off after a certain amount of time?
Lots off people. Unfortunately it's a case of "how long is a piece of string?" as to how long it will be before you're offered a job, largely based on your performance at interview, and the depot requirements. I was in the pool for a couple of months for a small depot, whereas a mate of mine is still in it, for one of the largest depots and has been for about 18-months. He's now a trainee for SWR. As far as I’m aware, they just keep you in the pool indefinitely, or until your psychometric results expire? (GWR accept psychometric results for 5 years from the date you passed them).

Last edited:

Static65

Agree with Stigy, there is no way of knowing how long it may be. I passed assessments in October 2018 and DMI in January 2019 for a large depot. I was told in person by the interviewer on the day that it was a really strong interview and that I wouldn't be in the pool long. 18 months later I'm still waiting to hear any more and having just checked the First career portal, the application has now disappeared. I'm not sure if this means I am still in the pool or not.

Luckily, I've been driving with another TOC for over a year now. Best advice I can give is apply for every job you can and don't take being in a pool as confirmation of a job.

Stigy

Established Member
Agree with Stigy, there is no way of knowing how long it may be. I passed assessments in October 2018 and DMI in January 2019 for a large depot. I was told in person by the interviewer on the day that it was a really strong interview and that I wouldn't be in the pool long. 18 months later I'm still waiting to hear any more and having just checked the First career portal, the application has now disappeared. I'm not sure if this means I am still in the pool or not.

Luckily, I've been driving with another TOC for over a year now. Best advice I can give is apply for every job you can and don't take being in a pool as confirmation of a job.
I agree in that it’s best to keep applying and not rely on a talent pool position. I do find it strange how they still recruited for the same depots for further pools which seemed to happen quite frequently for several months after I was offered a course date. Again, there doesn’t appear to be a method to it, but I would imagine there is one somewhere.

PaulBusDriver

I agree in that it’s best to keep applying and not rely on a talent pool position. I do find it strange how they still recruited for the same depots for further pools which seemed to happen quite frequently for several months after I was offered a course date. Again, there doesn’t appear to be a method to it, but I would imagine there is one somewhere.
Good to hear what you think about it, I shall keep applying for other vacancies but the danger is that you don't do as well 2nd time around on the tests or interviews perhaps.
Its like no other industry I've ever known before in terms of informal waiting times to get a job, I suppose that with such a willing amount of applicants they can afford to take there time and keep people uninformed.

Busandrail

I applied september 2017. I had my assesments about jan 2018, DMI may 2018 and finally offered a job as trainee driver nov 2019 and started jan 2020. I was also a bus driver so would be awesome to get another former busman in, good luck!

Liam00086

Me and my mate were in the talent pool for 3days, Both for the same depot, some people have been in the pool for 1 day and others for years, I would always keep applying for other TOCs if that is an option for you.

Old Chap

This thread is beginning to feel like home! One year ago today I joined the Talent Pool. Looking forward to the next to with all others particularly destined for Reading.... Stick in there. Who else is Waiting on Reading?

Jaytrains

I just emailed Recruitment and asked about my application if its still open since im still waiting for dmi date and they replied saying that everything To do with recruitment is still on hold so they can’t really tell me much...

Status
Not open for further replies.